At what point do you move on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly sure this has been discussed before but I can't dins any threads on it.

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra SE. 104K Miles on the clock.
1. Significant rust spots on the body but no through holes. Just blisters.
2. Right now, it would need the evaporator core replaced and the front coil springs and /or struts replaced.
3. The rear struts have boots torn and probably need to have the whole struts replaced because the coil springs are fairly rusted too and could break if I were to compress them with a spring compressor.
4. It will probably need new rear tires soon.

Is it worth it to spend $500 for a $2500 car just to repair the A/C alone?

BTW, the engine is in good shape. No leaks and does not burn oil significantly. Should I sell and move on?

Thanks

I'd probably leave the A/C alone and prioritize the handling/safety aspect of the car.

If your other car is in good shape I'd probably retire the Sentra as a winter beater.

It sounds like you are going to spend well over $500 when all done...

Sentra's and the like (Kias, Hyundia, etc.) are pretty cheap. If you have the resources and are looking for a similar type of vehicle, trading up or buying new might be a better deal.

Sounds more like normal maintenance for a car with 100K on it, except for the rust. If you don't like to maintain a car, don't keep them past ~100K miles. Still way cheaper than buying any new car if you fix it.

I will throw in the proverbial towel when the engine needs to be replaced. Having said that, last time that happened, I got a Jasper engine.

I'd move on. Sounds like more than $500 to me, and, it sounds like the rust gremlins have started. You could drop $1-2k into it, and get 2-3 years out of it. Seems like you drive little enough that it might tide you over. Might be worth it to you, don't think it'd be worth it to me (but I drive significantly more).

If it was me, I'd be tempted to leave the a/c alone, do just the min, until I replaced it with new(er).

Are you sure there aren't any other possible repairs lurking? What about rust on the engine cradle, strut towers or frame rails?

Personally I think it is time to move on when the cost of all repairs hits 75-80% of what you can sell the repaired car for.

If there is any major rust on structural components though, it's time to move on.

What the heck did you do to the car?

Most of those things have been like new on my 30 year old cars with >200k miles.

I was faced with that question about a year ago with a 93 Aerostar. It was beginning to nickle and dime me. When it was no longer safe to drive, and not economical for 'me' to fix, it was time to junk it. The bottom line is your financial situation. Can you afford to replace the vehicle? Is it save to drive? What happens if you make the needed repairs and a month later it needs another $1000 or more in repairs?

To me tires, shocks, and struts are safety items that need to be addressed now. The A/C is a luxury item [although this summer it is essential, lol] which can be very expensive to repair especially if you can't DIY. It sounds like a car I'd probably get rid of.

IMO it has a lot more to do with questions like, what's the replacement going to cost, how much work will the replacement need, what do I rely on the car for (work, is it a second car),etc.

I think about this with the saturn we have but I'd rather have the problem I know than something unknown.

If you're sick of it, move on.

How far forward does that body style go? If an 05 had the same struts, go find some in a junkyard with springs still attached. Or just mail order some quick struts when there's a sale.

Similarly, run used tires. The only thing IMO that needs expert attention is the AC which I'd go without. Unless I mentally decided that I deserve AC... which I understand paying for.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Most of those things have been like new on my 30 year old cars with >200k miles.

"They don't build 'em like they used to!"

Pretty sure Ohio salts their roads. 104kmiles is low, but 12 years in a salt state tends to override that. I've had newer cars that needed a/c work; my VW (!) has, knock on wood, the best (undersized) a/c I've heard of (9 years and nadda for work, not even a recharge).

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
I'm fairly sure this has been discussed before but I can't dins any threads on it.

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra SE. 104K Miles on the clock.
1. Significant rust spots on the body but no through holes. Just blisters.
2. Right now, it would need the evaporator core replaced and the front coil springs and /or struts replaced.
3. The rear struts have boots torn and probably need to have the whole struts replaced because the coil springs are fairly rusted too and could break if I were to compress them with a spring compressor.
4. It will probably need new rear tires soon.

Is it worth it to spend $500 for a $2500 car just to repair the A/C alone?

BTW, the engine is in good shape. No leaks and does not burn oil significantly. Should I sell and move on?

Thanks

I would have moved on long before you got to this point so that is my answer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Normal wear on an average relatively inexpensive car that is 12 years old that is daily driven.

12 year old car, 100k miles and starting to rust. Likely worth $2500 in current condition. My guess is that parts and labor required to make it fully drivable and reliable would cost as much as car is worth. That should be the trigger point for any older car - don't put repair cost money into any old car that is more money than the car's current market value. When you pay repair costs that meet or exceed the current market value on a used car, it means you are basically re-buying the car at its current market price.

The rust is a huge red flag to me. I'd get rid of it before anything else goes bad and buy a significantly newer model used car that has no rust.

Last edited:
I must be a sucker. My Ohio car which is a 2001 Protege had rust on the left rear quarter panel. This car has been treated with Krown every year since new but had this one spot of rust. I just put a front suspension on it, I welded in new quarters which I had galvanized prior to install, galvanized the welds then painted. This car has 230,000 miles on it. To find something similar would have cost more. I know how this car has been maintained. We did this to have a nice third car. As it turns out, we use this car more than the new one. I will say if you have rust gremlins popping up everywhere, its just a matter of time before it can get out of control. I spent $1300 doing it myself. I would say in three years I will have to weld in new strut towers. I will still keep it. I do all of the work on this car myself.

Find the same (or similar) car with 75,000 miles in excellent condition and buy it for $3500.
Sell yours for $1500-$2000 and you'll be ahead all the way around.

A string of repairs cost more than the difference between poor and excellent condition.

Future ownership costs are lower on an excellent condition vehicle as well.

I do all car repair work myself and I get a good discount on parts. I could fix the AC and all 4 struts/springs for less than $500. For me, it would be worth it to keep it. For someone paying someone else labor, meh maybe not.

From my experiance, old vehicles that need a lot of work are never ending money pits. Get rid of them asap.

Old vehicles that have not been abused and have been repaired & maintained when needed along the way are worth keeping or even buying from someone else.

Just to add, I could in theory do the suspension work myself, but I don't have the time right now. Family is packing and preparing for a cross-country move in 3 weeks. Moving south.

But I don;t think I want to take apart the dash to fix the evaporator. That One I will get the garage to fix.

Its 12 years old, buy a new one and drive it for another 12 years. Your cost per year will be pretty low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back