At What Percentage Of Zinc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about high, but VOAs should show ranges.
Low.... last work UOA on 710LE showed 28ppm zinc. Required/recommended for our diesels per GE, so good that a UOA does indeed show it so. Don't want the higher zinc getting to the silver and yellow metals in the bearings.
So as well as high, there has to be a point considered low too I guess.

Take a look at the Virgin Oil Analysis for PCMO and HDEO forum for zinc and phosphorous levels.

You will see different levels for different qualifications of oils.

Also see PIQA:

PIQA Oil Analysis

As we try to emphasize here, don't fixate on a particular base oil or component but look at the complete formulation and how it has performed in various vehicles.

Last edited:
Well, there is a level at which it begins to do bad things to your engine. Think it is around 2000 ppm or so--not an exact number but a transition zone from beneficial to too much to damaging.

And then as MolaKule notes, it's the whole package, not one component. I would suppose it is possible to make an oil that has zero zinc and phosphorus that would perform well, but perhaps it would be cost prohibitive.

Today's oils have friction modifiers to replace and lessen zddp required,so high zddp oils may be a step backwards compared to their more modern counterparts.
Its not a single element of an oil that makes it great,its how all the elements work together as a package. High levels are necessarily required today. Formulators have found that smaller doses of a variety of components work together creating a superior lubricant.
Zddp is is no longer the be all to end all. Friction modifiers and components like titanium are used instead and take on the same roll as zddp(or whatever the blender uses as a substitute) and all the components combined work better together that just a high dose of 1.
The trend today is to used dual rated diesel oils in place of yesterday's "high" zddp oils.
And if you really research the topic yesterday's supposedly high zddp oils that were so important for flat tappet cams are very similar to today's dual rated diesel oils and the new oils with less zddp don't really have much less of it,but they do have organic friction modifiers and metal like titanium and the combo is far superior to the "high" zddp oils of yesterday.
Just my take on the whole zddp topic.

Most race oil today still have a lot of ZDDP, most over 1850 ppm. They run this oil in roller cam engines so it lubes a lot more than just the tappets.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Most race oil today still have a lot of ZDDP, most over 1850 ppm. They run this oil in roller cam engines so it lubes a lot more than just the tappets.

ROD

And drain it after every race. Too much zddp is corrosive.

In the way that muscle car enthusiasts think about it, I would say over 1000 ppm of Phosphorous would be considered "high zddp". The maximimum P content that was ever allowed in API standards was 1200 ppm up through the SH spec. Then it dropped to 1000 in SJ and SL, then 800 in SM and SN.

Many HDEO's have P in the range of 1200 ppm.
Red Line street oils are 1200 ppm.
Valvoline ZR1 conventional is 1300.
Brad Penn is 1400.
Over 1600 ppm, there is concern of corrosion of some cam materials.
Mobil 1 racing oil is 1850.
Red Line racing oils are 2200.

Mobil 1 0W-40 has 1100ppm, there hasn't been a engine produced that doesn't recommend something thicker that won't thrive on that stuff... Is it optimum for mileage, no, but your engine would likely never wear out... Of course no oil can prevent leaking seals, blown head gaskets, etc...

Redline is probably on the high side. I think it is advertised at 1500 ppm.

Somehow one of the best oils out there, Amsoil, does fine on typical zddp levels (around the neighborhood of 800 ppm) of today's off the shelf oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back