AT Drain & Fill : Great Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a wonderful site for great information and much needed help. I just turned 60 and this is the first time I have done a drain and fill on an automatic transmission. The information and advice I found here was dead on.

Work was done on my Honda Civic 2010, 1.8 lt, ~30k miles. No problems with the AT and just doing preventive maintenance based on the advice here. Stuck with the Honda ATF DW-1 (3 - 1 litre bottles). Very pleased to read on the bottle that it is 'fully synthetic'. Dealership emphasized that it will fully mix and is compatible with the previous Honda Z-1. Also bought a small supply of the 18mm crush washers.

Princess Auto here in Winnipeg had a sale on today for a pair of car ramps - $40.00 ($20 off). They stack together and are super strong. Had the wife watch while I went up the ramps and indicated when I was near the 'stops'. Laid a big sheet of cardboard under the car to keep clean and off the cold concrete (about 30 deg. F. here).

Like you folks advised, the toughest part was breaking the drain bolt loose. I used a 3/8 inch socket and added my own homemade 'breaker-bar'. Tried several times and even tapped it with a plastic mallet. No luck. Feeling a little down, I was almost ready to pack it in. One more try and went to get a regular hammer. Held the socket firm with one hand and tapped the end progressively harder with the hammer. The bolt came loose and the rest is history. By the way, tapping with the hammer is a poor man's impact wrench!

Put the plastic drain pan on a shallow cardboard box to raise the height and avoid splashing. Used gloves and took the bolt out slowly to force the fluid straight down into the pan. Cleaned the magnet on the end of the bolt and it did have a good coating of gray metallic sludge. New crush washer.

Poured the used oil into plastic jugs that I had pre-marked with litre and 1/2 litre lines. Sure enough, you folks were bang on: 2.5 litres came out. Poured in 2.5 litres of DW-1. Took it down the ramps and for a short drive. Level is perfectly in the hash marks ... did't have to add a thing.

Cost: Ramps $45 (w/taxes). 3 litres ATF DW-1, 4 - 18mm & 4 - 14mm crush washers, long neck funnel: $47. Total $92. Called a local Honda dealership for an AT Drain & Fill: $98.88. Sense of accomplishment: priceless. Ramps are 'free', never mind my next fluid changes (even though I'm now a condo owner).

Sorry this was so long winded, but I wanted to share. No questions this time, just a big thank you to all for helping me and many others.

Regards,
Peter

Ramps aren't strictly necessary if you can get the bolt off. I did because I couldn't get enough leverage without more space, and my 10" breaker bar wouldn't fit inside without some more clearance. Once I had it on ramps (and was sure it wasn't going to fall off) I could actually pull really hard with both hands. If you have a hard time getting the plug off, it's not necessarily overtightened, but that after a while the plug and washer can be seized to the transmission body.

Last weekend I did a second drain and fill after a week of driving. The bolt came off with just a ratchet handle and some moderate force.

A drain and fill is meant to be done with the vehicle level. As soon as I could break the drain plug open, I tightened the plug a bit and drove it back down before draining.

For insulation when you have to lay on cold ground or concrete try a sheet of 1/2" thick, 4' by 8' Styrofoam insulation under the cardboard. Makes a big difference.

Better yet, plan maintenance for warmer weather.
I do this now, having spent many hours on cold concrete in the past.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Better yet, plan maintenance for warmer weather.
I do this now, having spent many hours on cold concrete in the past.

What is this "cold concrete" you speak of?

I'll work on my car with the garage door open during December wearing shorts and a T-shirt. The only reason I put anything on the ground it to keep fluid drips from soaking into the garage floor.

We keep our "concrete cold" in Winnipeg. We find that it doesn't spoil and lasts longer.

SF area, eh? Just too beautiful and I once had a fantastic business trip there. Cable car ride, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Winchester House, vineyard tour, Silicon Valley and tour of Apple manufacturing, and a drive up to a telescope observatory. Forgot what business I was on ... ha,ha.

I'm planning my next maintenance in the Spring. Is your garage available? I'll bring beer?

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: soszek
We keep our "concrete cold" in Winnipeg. We find that it doesn't spoil and lasts longer.

SF area, eh? Just too beautiful and I once had a fantastic business trip there. Cable car ride, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Winchester House, vineyard tour, Silicon Valley and tour of Apple manufacturing, and a drive up to a telescope observatory. Forgot what business I was on ... ha,ha.

I'm planning my next maintenance in the Spring. Is your garage available? I'll bring beer?

Cheers!

We have snow and cold weather in California. Just not in the Bay Area. It's been said that someone living in this part of California could be surfing in the morning and then skiing in the afternoon.

I've got some winter driving experience. Luckily my spinouts only took out some snow, and I learned to take it easy. Still rather fun skidding to a stop in a parking lot and then learning how to control that when it comes time to actually park in a real parking spot.

Oh - an irony of ironies - for 15 years we had an NHL team and you guys didn't.

We have had years where we've seen shorts and tee shirt weather in December, especially in the winter of '11-'12, which was basically the year without a winter.
Normally, though, you'd want to get anything involving planned maintenance done by early December at the latest, since it is pretty unpleasant to work in the cold.
I avoid it if I can.

I agree with my Ohio brother, time to do the last change this week and put away the funnels and wrenches until April. That warm winter you speak of was nice for a change but it hurts the wallets for guys like me that plow snow! oh well, cant win em all!! San Fran, oh it must be horrible to be 70* almost everyday! Thumbs up to the OP on his first d&f! who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks?!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: soszek
This is such a wonderful site for great information and much needed help. I just turned 60 and this is the first time I have done a drain and fill on an automatic transmission. The information and advice I found here was dead on.

Great to hear, Peter. These cars are so, so easy to maintain for the DIY-er.

Glad everything worked out for you. Nice to save money that would have gone to the stealer, not to mention the sense of accomplishment. I too use a controlled 'tap the ratchet with a hammer' method to free the the ATF drain bolt. Another thing I do to reduce splash is leave the the ATF dipstick in at the very start of the process then remove as flow begins to slow a tad.

I don't put my car on ramps for a Honda ATF d&f as I have enough room to work. But, that's a personal preference. Interesting that DW-1 ATF is marked fully synthetic on bottle in Canada but not in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back