ASUS Transformer Prime tablet a no-go

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad bought an ASUS Transformer Prime about a month or so ago but returned it because the GPS wouldn't work. I asked why he didn't get a replacement.

He said, "no, the GPS in those tablets don't work, as a whole." Apparently, the aluminum case interferes with the GPS receiver and you get little-to-no signal.

I said that sounds like an awfully big oversight. He chuckled.

He's now running an Acer A100 tablet and loves it. It fits perfect in the nook on the dashboard of his Wrangler, and the GPS actually works on it.

Said he only paid about 200 bucks for the Acer. Anyone else got one...an A100?

My guess is that the metal back cover provides too much shielding for the antennae, supposedly they removed GPS from the specs. Honestly I would still take one in a heartbeat, it's specs and build trump everything else out there. I have a HP touchpad and have never needed GPS once, I don't see a big loss there.

I was thinking of recommended a transformer to my Father, it seems that it would be easier to use than a computer. Where did he find the Acer for $200, they are going for way more than that from what I see.

He needs GPS; this is a tablet for use as a navigation device and USGS topo map viewing when on Jeep trails. A GPS is necessary. Funny how ASUS removed the GPS from the specs on their device.

I'll ask him where he got the Acer.

I spent some time with that new Asus Transformer Prime at Best Buy the other day. It sure is a nice unit! Thinner, a bit more lightweight, Android 4, etc. NICE!

But, for $499, one can grab an iPad for that. Once we're in iPad price territory, it makes little sense to purchase an Android IMO.

The $349 32GB Lenovo 10" model is my choice for single-core Android tablet out there, best bang for the buck, it runs Android 3.2.

HP Touchpad--TKeith, have you installed the latest over clocked kernel? OH MAN I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE! I'm using this thing more than ever now, that extra speed makes all the difference in web browsing, videos, etc. It never even gets warm! I wonder how fast Android 4 (ICS) would run on this unit with the OC'd kernel.

Dad called and I must have mis-heard: he said $250, not $200. And I can see on Best Buy that it's $259. I think he got it from an AAFES Exchange.

He's going to give me the Acer for my birthday; he has decided to upgrade to one of the Samsung 7" tablets (he likes the 7" size). The Acer works fine, but I guess the Samsung ones offer greater on-board storage for all of his USGS mapping.

I have a transformer 101 at home. It is pretty nice. Everything works. Gps and wifi have no issue like it does on prime. Asus really messed up big with the prime.

If he kept the Asus, he could have gotten one of those bluetooth gps receivers. Surprising they goofed on the new tablet. The gps on my Transformer works well.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
I spent some time with that new Asus Transformer Prime at Best Buy the other day. It sure is a nice unit! Thinner, a bit more lightweight, Android 4, etc. NICE!

But, for $499, one can grab an iPad for that. Once we're in iPad price territory, it makes little sense to purchase an Android IMO.

The $349 32GB Lenovo 10" model is my choice for single-core Android tablet out there, best bang for the buck, it runs Android 3.2.

HP Touchpad--TKeith, have you installed the latest over clocked kernel? OH MAN I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE! I'm using this thing more than ever now, that extra speed makes all the difference in web browsing, videos, etc. It never even gets warm! I wonder how fast Android 4 (ICS) would run on this unit with the OC'd kernel.

I disagree, I would take a $500 Android tablet any day. The only thing the ipad has going for it is better apps. I would probably be getting the prime if it weren't for my touchpad. CM9 is still pretty rough on the touchpad, but works great. So far it won't sleep, the camera and video don't work and it reboots a lot. Fortunately HP just released a kernel for Android that should help provide the drivers needed for it to run better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back