Assuming Vista is a major flop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Vista Ultimate install takes up about 8 GB of HD."

It may be a problem for some, but, I certainly have ample HD space. I guess some of you that have "moving pictures" and such on your machines may run into a storage problems.

Quote:

I'm considering the Mac Mini as my next computer for home, rather than a budget-priced Windows-based PC... Any opinions on it?

I have a new Intel Mini here.
It all depends on what you want to do.
To be honest with you - if you have ANY plans on using Windows in Boot Camp or Parallels, get 2GB RAM.
1GB RAM is OK if you're not doing Windows.
Intel Macs do seem to need more RAM to run well.

I originally got 1GB to see how it ran, but with Windows, 2GB is a must I believe.

IMHO, the 17" iMac might be a better deal. They're faster, have all the goodies like a keyboard and mouse, a bigger hard drive, and are overall faster.

Scott

I would not use the Mac Mini as a total replacement for a Windows computer. The Mac Mini would be fine for the internet and you could unplug your Windows computer so that it is safe and use it for your work (and computer games).

I think if you are going to replace a Windows computer with a Mac you would be happier with an iMac, MacPro, or MacBook. Most people would probably be in pretty good shape with an iMac with Intel. An iMac is powerful enough to do a lot of stuff, and you can run Windows XP on it too!

The Mini would just be for Internet use, downloading of photos from my digital camera to the HD, and maybe some word processing or spreadsheet work. This would be done in the native OS X, no need to use Windows I hope. I've used plenty of Unix/Linux so I'm not afraid of that...

I've got my PS2 for gaming: Gran Turismo 2/3/4 and even better, Tourist Trophy
laugh.gif

A Mini is appropriate unless you do heavy gaming or other processor/video intensive work.
As I already said, the iMac is likely a better overall move, but the Mini is OK.

Mac Pro and the MBP CoreDuo 2 I'm using now are overkill for most people.

The Mini only has the older Intel Core Duo processor, not the newer Core 2 Duo. All this stuff makes me
crazy.gif
The last time I bought a CPU and motherboard was in 2001 or so...

I'm kind of enamored to the Mini due to the small footprint and the fact that I could reuse my current LCD, but like you said the MacBook or iMac would probably be the better choice...

Then wait a little while longer - the MacBook just got upgraded to Core Duo 2 and the Mini is next.

SPeaking of which - the MacBook is a great option as well - I forgot that it is now CD2.

If by some miracle Vista is the real deal and successful, than that changes everything. If Vista is fast, secure, and compatible with the software and hardware that I use I would have to consider that Windows is 95% of all desktops. Apple Computer is something like 6% of the USA market and 2% worldwide. Apple could someday go out of business. And Linux operating systems may never amount to all that much except in server computers. So I am waiting to see what happens. I am not opimtistic about Vista. I really expect to see failure. But if Vista is successful everything changes.

Quote:

Vista won't be a flop, I think it will be the standard.

It's almost a given that it will be a standard. You soon won't have any choice if you are buying anew Windoze machine The vast majority of people use the operating system that comes with their new computer and don't change it.

I also predict that those who are more than just clueless consumers and occasionally upgrade their operating systems will switch to Vista at a lot lower rate than the 95/98/ME to XP switch.

Hasta la Vista for me is at least 6 years, maybe never.

Vista is not a quantum-leap forward operating system like Win95 was (In the context of that time period). I doubt too many people will upgrade their operating systems to Vista but insead will just wait to buy a new computer that is pre-installed with Vista. Big mistake not having Vista ready for this Holiday season. Shareholders must be delighted huh?
Maybe Mickey did not want a huge rush for Vista in case there is a major bug
laugh.gif

Vista will not be a flop. Apple (BSDTel) and Linux (LinTel) are now competitors. I think both Apple and Linux will gain market share but not at a huge clip. For most people Vista is more than adequate and will "feature" less susceptablilty to viruses which is the major downside of XP.
Oh, Vista Ultimate does come with a better Back-up utility and has a Norton Ghost-type back-up. I wish Mickey got rid of the Drive Letter stuff and allowed the "Users" directory to mount to another volume. Mickey did clean up the upper-most directory structure (root). There are now only 3 directories "Windoze" (Not really, old habits die hard. "Windows"), "Program Files", and "Users".
Come to think of it. Has anyone seen the Blue Screen of Death with XP? I dont think I ever have.

Quote:

Come to think of it. Has anyone seen the Blue Screen of Death with XP? I dont think I ever have.

I've never seen the Blue Screen with XP, but I have seen the reboot-without-warning when something goes wrong
laugh.gif

The big problem with Apple Computer is Apple probably could not take 20% of the market no matter how bad Vista may or may not be. It has been said that Apple Computer would need an alliance with Dell to reach 20% market share. On its own with its own Apple Stores Apple Computer could maybe reach 10-12% market share. Unless there is major progress with a Linux OS I don't see Linux ever reaching more than 10% market share at the most. Even Vista will probably have more compatibility with hardware than the typical Linux OS. We are talking desktop OSs of course-not servers.

But I do see a potential really bad initial Vista release, judging from what people have reported seeing in the betas. Microsoft will really have a bad image if the initial Vista release is really bad. And Microsoft could lose some market share.

But Microsoft is 95% of the market and even with a terrible Vista release Microsoft will not fall too far in market share. If Vista is really bad will Microsoft be able to get it functional in a reasonable period of time? Given enough time Microsoft could lose massive market share if Vista is really bad, but it would take years for them to drop a lot from 95% market share.

I have had the blue screen 2x with windows XP, once with a hard drive failure, and once when I did a fresh install and updated a few drivers at once and installed/updated several programs without restarting in between.

As far as Vista, I have no plans to upgrade. For starters, none of my current computers will even run it. Second, I don't have the $$$.

Success for Apple and it's user's has nothing to do with % of market share.
Apple is doing fine - highest price for it's stock ever, and the products are solid and selling like hotcakes - they aren't trying nor want to me M$.

You guys just don't get that. Market share is not what Apple or LInux are after.
It's an alternative to those who don't want/like/need Windows.
And for that, they are wildly successful.

"Just ordered a mac for my friend, 3rd person I've converted...."

If your friend is happy, I guess that's all that matters. But, I really don't know how significant other other OS
's are when compared to Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back