Assessing Rubber Bushings

This post is related to my other thread re MDX trailing arm bushings but is a more general question. How do you know when to replace a suspension rubber bushing? When I replaced the dog bone strut on my 99 Avalon it was easy...the radial rubber ligaments where torn all the way through. But what about superficial cracking or very small tears? Do rubber bushings tend to fail quickly after they start to crack or can they last for years with minor cracks? This article does not mention superficial cracks. It talks only about bushing failures which cause handling problems and noise.

Here is another good discussion which says almost any rubber bushing over 5 years old will start to check and is normal.

Last edited:
I only replace them if they are ripped or torn or brittle. To prolong their life spray them with silicone and they will last a lot longer. It really depends on the type of rubber it is if it’s neoprene it will last a lot longer than most other rubbers.

Rubber tends to harden over time and this can cause compliance issues, rough ride, vibrations, etc.

You can usually spot a bad one visually by severe cracking, dryness, falling apart, etc. I don't worry too much about superficial cracking that happens with age. They usually give you notice that they're failing by any of the symptoms mentioned above.

Back