Assembly lube suggestions?

I posted on another forum and forgot about this one.

Building a Detroit diesel series 60 engine. I've had 2 suggestions when building.

1. Use an assembly lube on the main, rod, cam bearings. Specifically lubriplate 105 was suggested.

2. No assembly lube, use a pressure primer before you fire the engine.

I'd like to hear feedback. Is the lubriplate 105 still the lube of choice?

Attachments

• F15196104.gif
    F15196104.gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 40
Schaeffer’s 132 mixed 50/50 with 10w30 or 15w40. In a squirt can. Moroso moly paste for flat tappet cams( would not use it for a cam with lifters containing roller needle bearings).

I would buy something that specifically says assembly lube on the packaging for assembly. I do prefer the grease over the oil. Pressure prime or otherwise run the oil pump on the motor with a drill if possible. Rotate the crank a couple times and make sure you are getting oil under the valve cover(s) while running the pump.

I use Lubriplate 105 on all my engine builds, Priming doesn't do much for sliding parts like Tappets & Rocker Arms. I also prime when possible.

No assembly lube at all is BAD advice......The engine will need to be barred over several times during the assembly process!

I use assembly lube and a soft new brush. Seen lots of people use fingers but finger print on finger could scratch bearing if not clean and free of contaminates.

I would buy something that specifically says assembly lube on the packaging for assembly. I do prefer the grease over the oil. Pressure prime or otherwise run the oil pump on the motor with a drill if possible. Rotate the crank a couple times and make sure you are getting oil under the valve cover(s) while running the pump.
The oil pump is gear driven off the crank, so the only way to rotate is to use the starter.

So I should add, typically we unplug the ecm, and turn it over til we get pressure giving the starter a break in the meantime. The oil pressure gauge is manual so a good reference.

I use white grease on big engines and has always worked great. Still running great after thousands and thousands of hours. I suggest getting a prelube kit to fill the oil galleries.

I use white grease on big engines and has always worked great. Still running great after thousands and thousands of hours. I suggest getting a prelube kit to fill the oil galleries.

I'm told I can make. Prelube kit very easily out of a new air tank. Now the white grease is that similar to the lubriplate 105?

I’ve never used the lubriplate I use white lithium grease and brush it on with a very soft brush. Yes you can make one out of an air tank. Just make sure it’s CLEAN

Over the years I have used Molykote Gn, LM48 and various "red" lubes and never had an issue with any of them, the Molykote was the go to. Clinebarger uses the Lubriplate 105 which I had not seen before I went looking for it since he posted it.
If he recommends it, I would use it without reservation.

I work for a major engine manufacturer, Lubriplate 105 was used for bearings, started having failures on big end of con rod during production test. Found out that Lubriplate is grease based and the oil would not break the grease down fast enough causing premature wear on bearings. Having switched to a PAO based assembly lube and have greatly reduced failure rates.

Last edited:
I work for a major engine manufacturer, Lubriplate 105 was used for bearings, started having failures on big end of con rod during production test. Found out that Lubriplate is grease based and the oil would not break the grease down fast enough causing premature wear on bearings. Having switched to a PAO based assembly lube and have greatly reduced failure rates.

One guy said he's cut filters open and found lubriplate stuck in the filter. I'm wondering if a different brand of assembly lube would be better.

Any experience on the CRC stuff with the moly graphite?

Or suggestions on other extreme pressure assembly lubes good for a diesel?

Thousands upon thousands of engines have been built using Lubriplate 105 without issue. If you feel uncomfortable using it.....DON'T ! Just keep in mind that NO assembly lube will make up for poor machine work or poor workmanship.

I also strongly agree workmanship and machine work play a larger role than what assembly lube is used.

One guy said he's cut filters open and found lubriplate stuck in the filter. I'm wondering if a different brand of assembly lube would be better.

Any experience on the CRC stuff with the moly graphite?

Or suggestions on other extreme pressure assembly lubes good for a diesel?

I have to rebuild a Subaru EJ253 soon and will be using the Lubriplate, I think it is normal for some of it going in the filter, that is the reason for dumping the oil and filter shortly after firing it. If you want an alternative paste type product LM48 and Molykote Gn have worked well for me over the years.

Back