Asphalt Pothole Repair Mix That Works ?

I have searched for previous threads but not found a good answer.

I need to build up a small ramp at the junction of where my cement driveway meets the street to keep from scraping the spoiler on my car. I figure I need a strip about a foot wide by 15 feel long and maybe 4" high at the highest point.

I looked on YouTube and saw a bunch of videos about buying bags or buckets of pre-mixed asphalt to make pothole repairs but many of them claimed that the mix never really dried and hardened. I would like to buy a few bags or buckets of the mix along with one of those tamping tools with the long handles to tamp and compress the mixture down good after I put it in place. I can avoid driving over it for a couple of days.

Does anyone have recent experience with this stuff that is available from Lowes or Home Depot that can be depended upon to do the job ? Brand recommendations ?
Thanks

This stuff is expensive but it works. I used it on a 12"x8" spot near my garage man door about 4 years ago and it has taken the beating of rust belt freeze/thaw cycles with zero degradation. It absolutely works the first time and you'll never have to do it again. I'm not sure if it's available in larger quantities at a better cost overall.
It goes down like cold patch and is easy to work with.

Screenshot_20210317-153027.png

Last edited:
I had the same problem at my house. Looked at all kinds of options, including rubber/plastic "humps", asphalt, etc. Finally settled on custom cut steel diamond plate secured via bolts into asphalt. Looks great, works great and will last forever.

I saw some previous posts about making a ramp out of diamond plate when I searched this subject but the cost was into the thousands of dollars. Also we get snow here a few times a year and what happens when the snow plow blade hits that piece of diamond plate ?

I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred dollars on material like the Aquaphalt that Imp4 recommended. It certainly would be cheaper than repairing a damaged chin spoiler.

An asphalt mini ramp in a gutter will block storm water flow. There will be standing water more often and longer. Id look into other options.

Road Soup. The apartment complex where I work used it. You have to let it get soft then it is fairly easy to work with.

Back