Asking for a review of "5 stars"

I would prefer a customer contract me so I can make it right rather than they review bomb me.

Gives both parties a chance. Negative reviews are often one sided.
Negative reviews are often childish or petty too so while I will check a company's or item's reviews, including the lowest ones, I do it to see how valid they are.

Negative reviews are often childish or petty too so while I will check a company's or item's reviews, including the lowest ones, I do it to see how valid they are.
Absolutely right, many negative reviews are worthless and beyond petty, have nothing to do with the actual item, and you can usually tell the ones that are not real.

I agree.

Few and far between are the reviews that add value..

A lot of businesses have realized the impact of reviews on their business so I can completely understand it.

It's irrelevant to me because I look at how many bad reviews a business has and really don't put much weight on positive reviews. They're often done by friends and family.

I would give them 5 stars AND voice my opinion of them asking.

I have given several 5 star reviews where the service was truly exemplary. But when asked to give a 5 star review where I felt it was undeserved, I declined to give any review at all. I figured that was better than getting on the bad side of a goods or service provider that I may be doing future business with. Of course if they really sucked I have no problem letting them have it with both barrels since I would never do business with them again anyway.

Daughter recently purchased a new Mustang E and I went with her to pick it up. A mess, they had add ons she never agreed to, forgoet her down payment, then a company discount. The paperwork had to be done 3 times due to the idiots behind the desk, not the sales person. Unfortunately only the sales person gets reviewed. She gave him a 3.5 and he actually called and stated that if he knew she was not going to give him 5 stars he would not have sold her the car!!!! I wrote a letter to ford and the manager explaining that it was not the sales person's direct fault but otheres in the chain of the transaction, including the manager who insists on add ons not agreed to. Sorry, but someone has to take the hit if the process is bad. A lot to be said going factory direct and eliminating all the middlemen. They had several days to get the paperwork correct but waited and still had it wrong 3 times, then the financial person who wants to sell her an extended warranty that she purchased from Ford (online ford dealer selling warranties at a volume and discount) for 1000 less than the dealer wanted.

Daughter recently purchased a new Mustang E and I went with her to pick it up. A mess, they had add ons she never agreed to, forgoet her down payment, then a company discount. The paperwork had to be done 3 times due to the idiots behind the desk, not the sales person. Unfortunately only the sales person gets reviewed. She gave him a 3.5 and he actually called and stated that if he knew she was not going to give him 5 stars he would not have sold her the car!!!! I wrote a letter to ford and the manager explaining that it was not the sales person's direct fault but otheres in the chain of the transaction, including the manager who insists on add ons not agreed to. Sorry, but someone has to take the hit if the process is bad. A lot to be said going factory direct and eliminating all the middlemen. They had several days to get the paperwork correct but waited and still had it wrong 3 times, then the financial person who wants to sell her an extended warranty that she purchased from Ford (online ford dealer selling warranties at a volume and discount) for 1000 less than the dealer wanted.
While bad dealer reviews are RAMPANT particularly about this new Ford product.. you'll get equal number saying their experience was flawless, couldn't be better, and your review could be perceived as dealership bashing.

Brand bashing.. used to be fun when we were kids, but it gets old.

Based on your description of the service they provided you owe them 10 out of 5 stars...
So, what's the issue?

They seem like they aim to provide excellent service and want to be recognized for it.
Seems more than reasonable.

Tipping at a restaurant is similar, 15% or 20% tips are expected.

For good service I always tip very well. When I go out for a $15 breakfast I usually tip $15. For me it seems cheap to apply the percentage rule to an inexpensive meal.

For fine dining when I get good service I usually tip 25% to 30%. That can be $75 or $100 sometimes.

When I get poor service, how much I tip depends. If I see a clear case of my server being tasked with too many tables or something else beyond their control I'll still tip well.

But when I receive poor service that I feel is somehow directed at me, I have zero problem stiffing someone. I'll leave a one cent tip to make my point.

OP, give them a 5 star review.

Scott

Last edited:
Honesty is the best policy or no review at all.

I had a car dealer hassle me for reviews. I didn't give them a review so they called and I told the lady nicely that they did not treat me good and the whole ordeal was nothing but drama and you should be thankful I do not disparage your company with a bad review.

She thanked me for not providing a review.

Another aspect of reviews is in many cases, a company can make things right and the customer is now 100% happy, but reviews can't be undone. This is why many companies ask you to leave positive reviews but if there's an issue, to contact them directly first. Does this excuse whatever happened initially ? No, but there can be endless reasons, some not the company's fault, so if they make it right in the end, they deserve (some) credit.

Had my water heater replaced this past summer by Lowes, they state same day service but when the order was placed they were tied up with calls and they wouldn't be able to get to me till the next day, needless to say. 7 PM that night I get a call from the installer that he was on his way home and could get me in tonite, showed up 45 minutes later with the new water heater, guy was apologetic and told him no problem and just thankful he showed up. Gave him all 5 stars and a great write up.

A lot of the shady companies pay third parties to write fake 5 star reviews...at least they're asking real customers for reviews.

Look at it this way - your good review will most likely help others choose that company to do business with and will help that company stay in business.....which you may need again in the future and you will have an established relationship with.

I like to do business with companies that seem to have their ch** together and have treated me like their favorite kid or a king. I go out of my way to tell others about them because I want to have them around the next time I need them.

Them asking you for the review might seem tacky, but maybe they've realized those reviews really help them.

Just a thought. I know stuff rubs all of us the wrong way at times, I'm not different. I can't stand it when some retail workers stop what they are doing in the middle of helping me to answer a co-worker's question of "what time did you get here/what time are you going home/to lunch / who's coming in after you?" Or when you say Thank You, someone says "oh, no problem!"

Honesty is the best policy or no review at all.

I had a car dealer hassle me for reviews. I didn't give them a review so they called and I told the lady nicely that they did not treat me good and the whole ordeal was nothing but drama and you should be thankful I do not disparage your company with a bad review.

She thanked me for not providing a review.
I've had similar.

I had a business that repairs my car, they did ask me for a review.. I looked at the reviews already on, and they seemed a bit spammy to me. Shots of cars that didn't exactly look like they were in the background of the actual business. One guy left a one star review, apparently he expected them to fix a car from the attached lot even though they are not affiliated. My experience was OKAY but if you leave a review, you are tacitly putting your stamp of approval on something and it takes time and if your review is good enough, it may get selected as highlighted and.. if it is an honest and BAD review and you go there all the time, nothing but problems for you because, as stated previously somewhere in this thread, why didn't you go to the business owner to make it right.

Probably because you expected to be blown off, so you didn't waste your time, is the answer... so now we have the circle.

My review is near the top of reviews of why I will probably never take my car to a car wash again. The Pop-A-Lock they had to use, as they managed to lock the keys in a running car on TWO occasions, and that is not all.. I'm never going back.. oh that was a bad day. So now, a trained thief can look at my car and see an opportunity. I don't think about this, but............ it's there, it's easy, Pop A Lock left a tell tale sign... ugggh. Thanks, car wash. Review states EVERYTHING as it was left after a 2nd bad experience. Never again. Never. Now I'm leary of any wash that isn't full hand and I have to find them...

Tipping at a restaurant is similar, 15% or 20% tips are expected.

For good service I always tip very well. When I go out for a $15 breakfast I usually tip $15. For me it seems cheap to apply the percentage rule to an inexpensive meal.

For fine dining when I get good service I usually tip 25% to 30%. That can be $75 or $100 sometimes.

When I get poor service, how much I tip depends. If I see a clear case of my server being tasked with too many tables or something else beyond their control I'll still tip well.

But when I receive poor service that I feel is somehow directed at me, I have zero problem stiffing someone. I'll leave a one cent tip to make my point.

OP, give them a 5 star review.

Scott
Exactly - it was an over worked waitress that gave me a $100 instead of a $20 in change …
(the $100 should have been placed under the drawer to start with) …

Back