Asbestos vs. Semi-Metallic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by Kruse
On a side note, I've got a '60 Ford panel van that is waiting for new brakes all the way around. I'm going to assume the shoes on it now are original. I'll also be super careful with this one. probably done quite away from my shop, wearing a mask and every precaution available will be taken.

We can't do anything about past exposures (I too had industrial asbestos exposures when I was young) but at least we can minimize any future exposures.

If you suspect the brake pads on that van are asbestos, here are some practical suggestions: Don't use any compressed air. Keep everything wet. Wear a proper dust mask - meaning a half mask respirator with HEPA cartridges, while you're working on this job. Immediately bag the pads as you remove them, and tape the bags shut. Wear disposable coveralls and take them off and dispose of them as soon as you're done. And you're right, do the job outside and well away from the shop.

Keep that half mask respirator in a plastic bag and use it the next time you have a similar job. HEPA cartridges don't "spoil" when not in use.

I've been a mechanic for almost 40 years. I'm well aware of asbestos use on older vehicles and I know how to use the proper PPE equipment.
But thanks for the advice.

Just a question on ANY NOS shoes.

If the linings are glued instead of riveted be aware that the glue has had time to be effected by water.

Installing them (any old glued shoe) mightn't be a good idea

Originally Posted by tom slick
Isn't the correct terminology "Organic" or "Semi-Metallic" regardless if it has asbestos in its construction?

Not so much, the term organic got popular as the replacement materials for asbestos were required, and are sometimes called NAO for non-asbestos organic.

You wouldn't just call them organic because there are still safe organic pads in the market. Well that depends on who you ask, apparently now copper isn't safe either and will soon be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
The danger from asbestos is the dust. Soak it in water ,no dust it was a common practice to blow off the dust with compressed air. once the drums were off. Theses days , people wash off unsightly brake dust. I'd use 'em. NOS parts are sought after by many restorers.
grin2.gif

Russia is the remaining major asbestos producer in the world. Before the ban on asbestos brake linings went into effect in the US and other civilized countries, Japan and Australia still made brake friction with it.

If you can find a set of NOS Repco/Axxis/PBR Deluxe, you got Australian-made organic pads with asbestos. I used them once on an old Toyota Cressida and they were fine. Just use soap and water to clean the brakes. I'm sure I breathed in a bit of asbestos dust on that old car.

Metallic pads bite best when they are hot. NAO "ceramic" linings that were created by Akebono/NBK in Japan were designed to come close to the old asbestos formulas but depend on cohesive friction - the transfer film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back