Brake question for the gurus

So I just recently installed DFC semi metallic front pads and Dura go rotors on our 15 odyssey.

All is awesome except.
When braking the last few feet just as you come to a stop and lightly let up on the pedal I get a noise. It's almost like a judder or rubbing noise.

I installed new caliper slide pins and everything moves properly.

No noises when braking at any speed. I love the grip from the semi metallic.

But that judder noise just as I come to a stop is driving me crazy.

It has made the noise when they were installed and after they were bedded in. The progressive stopping method followed by a long cool down.

Any tips on how to get rid of this noise?
The pads came with shims installed.

Thanks

without at least hearing the noise ! my guess is binding caliper or the pads are just noisy some pads are coarser than others

Calipers not releasing completely would be my first guess.

How hard was it to push the pistons back in when you changed the pads?

How did you grease the caliper slide pins? What grease did you use?

Why did you replace them?

Did you put the correct caliper slide pin in the correct location? They are different.

Semi metallic pads do bite, it could be the groan goes away as the pad/rotors get to know one another

Our F150 does this with the OEM Motorcraft Semi Met pads. It groans and shudders when trying to creep along. Other brand pads don't do this. But they don't work as well in this truck.

It can be a matter of how a pad releases from the disk. This is a big factor in pad tuning. The braking power of semi met pads is the reason why I tend to stick with them. I put up with the downsides.

I got the Wagner Semi's for my X-Type Jag and they are GG rated, and you know it. Wonderful pads, with epic stopping power. Dirty wheels though.

Yeah ever hear squeeling cop car brakes? Or loud BMW brakes? I think it's just semi metallics. Everyone loves quiet dust free ceramics but I love a brake pad that works well. Noise be ****ed.

Probably normal for a low-end semi-metallic pad. DFC only sells the 3000 series semi-metallic pads for this application; they’re equivalent to red box Duralast.

Sounds like the calipers are slow to release. Break hoses can cause that with the obvious calipers as well.

Inappropriate pairing of rotor and pad. The friction is unmatched.
I'd either live with it or swap the pads (perhaps to OE). Develope
a friction compound to OE standards is an extremely difficult and
time consuming task. Too difficult for some smaller manufacturers.

Inappropriate pairing of rotor and pad. The friction is unmatched.
I'd either live with it or swap the pads (perhaps to OE). Develope
a friction compound to OE standards is an extremely difficult and
time consuming task. Too difficult for some smaller manufacturers.

Steel has a constant coefficient of friction, there is no “matching” going on here.

99 percent of brake rotors on passenger cars use cast iron,
no steel. Most use GG-15 EN-GJL-150 or GG-25 EN-GJL-250.
All very very similar, while the pad compounds vary widely,
that's why I recommended "swap the pads" (not the rotors),
however the rotor is still part of the match.

Thanks everyone.
The braking performance is astounding.
Especially now that I changed the rears to semi metallic also.

I think it might just be the pads and nature of the semi's.

It's annoying but the stopping power is totally worth it.

After driving for a bit, I am figuring out ways to feather the brakes a little more to lessen the noise.

Thanks again for all that offered advice.
Safe driving

I had something similar with Raybestos pads. It would happen at slow speeds. It eventually went away totally. I don’t exactly remember after how many miles, but I want to say 200-300, something like that.

I would let things settle in before changing the pads. They may quiet down.
Thanks- good advice

Check your lug nuts just in case. I once forgot to torque down my lug nuts on a wheel after a brake job. It was quite humbling when I had a little 'judder' and I started to check my slide pins and the first thing I find is a couple lug nuts hanging on by 3 threads.

I'm quite anal about my lug nuts now.

Back