ARX treatment on a 96 Dodge Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm now almost 1000 miles in to the second cleaning phase of ARX this time with O'Reilly 10W40 and a pint of MMO. So far everything is looking up for the old Dodge.

The first rinse came out pretty nasty looking.

Originally Posted By: KW
Well I'm now almost 1000 miles in to the second cleaning phase of ARX this time with O'Reilly 10W40 and a pint of MMO. So far everything is looking up for the old Dodge.

The first rinse came out pretty nasty looking.

Am I correct in that you are using 12 ounces of ARX with 16 ounces of MMO. Let us know how this works out.

Yes pretty close to it. I poured the ARX in an old motor oil bottle, then filled the quart bottle the rest of the way with MMO. So it's more like 20 ounces MMO and 12 ounces ARX to make up one quart.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Now run it a decent amout of time...s

+1 but keep a sharp eye on the oil pressure in case something should become dislodged. That's known to be a pretty powerful combination.

I drained the second round of cleaning phase oil out yesterday afternoon at just over 2500 miles and the oil came out thin and deep red, but not overly nasty. The refill was a gallon jug of Rotella T 15W40 and a quart of MMO. I'll run this mix for 2500 to 3000 miles and keep my fingers crossed.

At least if I have to pull the pan, it should be pretty clean in there.

Originally Posted By: KW
I drained the second round of cleaning phase oil out yesterday afternoon at just over 2500 miles and the oil came out thin and deep red, but not overly nasty. The refill was a gallon jug of Rotella T 15W40 and a quart of MMO. I'll run this mix for 2500 to 3000 miles and keep my fingers crossed.

At least if I have to pull the pan, it should be pretty clean in there.

So far all my oil pressure woes are gone. I am about 1000 miles into my second rinse, so today I changed the oil filter and topped off the oil. The oil in the truck is a deep red like before but the oil that poured out of the filter was black as tar. These 5.2 Magnums must really be sludgers, this one has been looked after pretty well.

Interesting note: If you mix Rotella T 15W40 and MMO at 80/20 in 15 degree weather the oil thins out like it's been sitting in the sun in the summer.

Interesting thread. The mix of MMO and ARX sure is cleaning a LOT of nasty stuff out of my 5.2 pick-up. MMO alone might of done the trick for me, but when the oil pressure stared diving under acceleration I ordered the ARX and ran MMO along with it in sort of a knee jerk reaction to fix it now. And boy is the oil filter catching a lot of black tar goo on this second rinse.

After another 1000 miles I'll try and make up my mind if I want to try and run it 3K or do a few back to back 2K OCI's with Rotella 15W40 and MMO, then work from there on what to do to keep it from doing this again.

Well I'm about 2K into the second rinse and so far the oil pressure looks good hot at idle, driving a steady speed or pulling a car trailer up and down hills. I think this weekend I'm going to drain the second rinse at 2K and do another 4 quart Rotella T 1 quart MMO fill. Once the weather warms up I may continue the Rotella T and cut back the MMO to a pint.

Well I imagine that everyone is tired of reading about my yucky truck motor. But just for an up date, I drained the oil tonight at about 1900 miles. I drove a few miles to warm the oil up before I changed it. After the short drive I ran it up in the shop and pulled the drain plug and my first thought was yuck that still looks nasty. Then to my surprise two or three big snotty looking clots slid out of it. Dang this 5.2 was much nastier than I had thought. So it got another round of MMO and Rotella T 15W40 that I'll run for about 2K and changing the filter about half way through like I did this time.

I'd let the filter go 1500 miles, then change it, top it off and run it another 1500 miles.

This is too early of a vehicle for the sludgemonster Dodge engines isn't it? I heard of Dodge having a sludge prone engine in some of their vehicles like the Dodge Durrango. And of course Toyota had some sludge prone engines too like some engines in certain vans and cars.

The Rotella oil cleans pretty well even all by itself according to what I have heard. So the MMO in that should make a difference.

I noticed a few years ago that it was on Amsoil's list for a sludge prone motor. Never thought it would happen to me, but it did.

Well I guess just to close this thread down, my MMO and ARX treatments have fixed my truck. After this last run of a full quart of MMO in the oil I'll step back to 16oz in the summer and a full quart in the winter just the keep the same thing from happening to me again.

Good to hear things are getting under control. My Dad bought a 3.8 caravan that I am still in the process of getting un sludged.

I started a couple of years ago. What I learned is that if you are not sure how much sludge is in the engine to pull the first filter at about 1250-1500 miles and check how dirty it is. I made the mistake of running the filters for the full clean and rinse and then running two clean and rinse cycles total. It ended up that the RX started redepositing sludge back into the engine. I knew that because I had the pan off twice. I have also figured out that when I hear a rattle on start up that the filter is getting full of sludge.

I'm still learning how to use RX.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back