Article on vehicle price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
if your buying a Ferrari 458 OTD say for $280k than yes I would probably finance it long term.
I think you are wrong; people who purchase Ferrari 458, don't need to finance it.

Most are, frees up money. Just like jets, boats, and vacation houses.

Last edited:
Some people live for today and not for tomorrow.

I can't see why someone would spend so much on a car they can't afford. Reminds me of the BITOG member with a new Mazda financing it for 72 months and got rid of within a year.

Fascinating to me how much people are willing to spend on a car, whether measured as income percentage, debt duration, etc. It goes far beyond the need for transportation.

In their book, "The Millionaire next door", the authors note that most millionaires spend little on cars, that they tend to buy domestic, tend to pay cash, and tend to keep the car for a long time.

I am a car guy, but the preponderance of my cars meet a basic transportation need and fit in our budget at a level far below the guidelines in this article. We generally paid cash for a used car, and have put over 100,000 miles on each of them.

The point isn't used vs. new (an interesting discussion), the point is % of budget/resources applied to cars. Lowering that % allows for support of other budget priorities (in my present case, 4 kids in college next year), that might include things like: investing, building a business, vacations/travel, a nicer house.

The opportunity cost of spending that much of your budget on a car is truly staggering...great for the salesman that sold you the car, but not so great for preserving your options or enjoying the other aspects of your life...

I know a guy leasing a Benz but says him and his wife can't afford to buy a house.
$550 lease + $1100 apartment = mortgage. Too dumb to do the math.

There are people that can't (won't) be seen in a used $8000 Corolla.
Their ego says they need a new $30,000+ vehicle / SUV.

Originally Posted By: supton
Are people financing Acords for 84 months? I just assumed was the $50-60k or more SUV's etc.

People do silly things all the time to be able to afford the new whatever and all the "glory" that goes with it.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Just my
49.gif
- there's a big difference between financing $25K for a window (however long it is) because that is the only way one can afford the car (however you define afford) vs. financing because someone can finance, and would like to do something else with the $$$. A long loan term doesn't have to mean the person can't afford the car today.

IDK what the going rate is for 84 months, I know Penfed is advertising 72 months at a 2.24% APR. If someone has the $25K up front, seems like they should be making a decision between avoiding the $1,740 in interest and paying upfront, putting their money to work and beating the $1,740 in interest over 6 years, or something in between.

Absolutely. That is simply a smart financial person using the clout of excellent credit to be able to conserve capital and make their money work for them through prudent investing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back