Article on new oil specs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a new link an interesting short read. I found this part amusing:

"And accidentally refilling with another oil that costs less could end up costing you big; using a different oil could void your warranty. It's no doubt something that every mechanic is aware of, but if yours isn't used to working on newer cars, it might pay to provide a reminder."

I somehow doubt the quick lubes are rushing out to buy API SN oils for their (mostly) clueless customers who happen to also be the rare owner of a 2011. If the customer has any awareness at all, and mention it, I suspect the lube "mechanic" will smile and nod, then pour in whatever bulk API SM oil they are carrying.

More reputable dealers will use the new spec, and won't need to be reminded. I also suspect that the oil company owned service stations, like Mobil, etc, will use the correct spec and will not need the "reminder."

The guys that do need it will be the ones to smile, nod, and give you last year's flavor of the week - if for no other reason than being presumptuous enough to imply they're too stupid to read the fill cap and use the correct oil.

Anyway, good article but I got a chuckle out of that part.

-Spyder

As previously, SN & GF-5 will be the main thing on the market. There will be no more SM & GF-4. Look for SL & GF-3---maybe you can find some dusty old stock in a bargain closeout store.

GM's Dexos1 is something different. It will be alongside SN & GF-5. While a few higher priced oils will carry all the ratings, the car owner who shops for cheap oil will not get the oil (Dexos1) that is required under his GM warranty. (Don't get into a blather about Magnusson-Moss...GM isn't requiring that you buy oil from them, just that it meets GM's spec.) The quickie-lube owners are already crying the blues about how they need separate oils for the new cars, GF-5 for most and Dexos1 for GM, and how the oil drain interval, especially for the higher cost Dexos1, is much longer reducing how often customers will come into their shops. As if the engine makers owe them a living...
cry.gif
Customers who still believe the scam about 3000 miles and 3 month oil changes will be moaning about the cost of the Dexos1 oils which will likely give lower lube cost per mile if the Oil Life Monitor is run out.

Here's a spider diagram showing how GF-5 and Dexos1 meet and exceed GF-4:

spider%20diagram%20color.png

the turbocharger protection is interesting because i hear GM is going to use a 1.4L with turbo to replace their 1.8 and 2.0 liter engines

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
the turbocharger protection is interesting because i hear GM is going to use a 1.4L with turbo to replace their 1.8 and 2.0 liter engines

Isn't the turbocharged 1.4L ecotec what they're using in the new Cruze? I know they use a (non-turbo) 1.4L ecotec slated to assist the new Volt. Its an interesting move on the part of GM, in using lower displacement engines when most of the market is still using 1.8L+ engines in similar sized cars.

They are going against the tide with this, but with gas prices the way they're headed, I think its a very forward looking move on their part and I suspect other companies will follow suit.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Looks like they are not buying into the whole ESP thing.

Nice to see the turbo thing there, since I'm already using QS synth (Dexos) in my VW.

Quote:
Dexos1 is a proprietary GM oil that's tested

What the deuce???

I thought dexos1 is an oil performance specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back