Arisaka pics, what type do i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, you've just touched the tip of the iceberg with that nice old relic of yours
laugh.gif

The thing that gets me, is that the German and Italian rifles are very well documented. Ditto FN and the various Swedish Gustav's, etc. Even the Swiss made rifles are pretty well documented. And the Russian stuff is well understood.

But there is a definite lack of info on obscure Arisaka Designs used around the world. PO Ackley understood this when he decided to load the test rifles to destruction. Everything blew up as the powder charges went up (well beyond sane loading levels), except for the Arisaka. It alone survived.

Just like some Japanese motorcycle engines, or Tohatsu outboards, or some of their cars/engines; there is a bit of magic to some of their designs. The Arisaka is one such design.

It's a bit homely on first glance with the big safety knob right there. It does not have the lines of say a 1903 Springfield with bent bolt and all. But it can be field stripped at least twice as fast w/o special tools. It did not step on nearly as many Mauser patents (more original), and it was thrifty in the use of metal. One stripped down to bare minimums does not look strong - but they are
laugh.gif

Have fun with yours and keep your eye out for other interesting examples. You never know where you'll see one at an estate sale or a garage sale. And most of the time, they'll be overlooked and not very expensive.

I've kept Pop's bring-back mostly original out of respect to him and his service and the others who handled it. But the rest of my pile o arisakas have all been piecemeal'd together. I'm sleeving barrels and adding muzzle devices to see how well I can make a semi obscure service rifle shoot...

My boat bud hunts with his "sporteized version". I didn't do it, it came that way. It was bought off a guy that had small pile of parts I was interested in and one partial rifle. Pieced it together and he went pig hunting. Brought back a porker in 3 hours - one shot. Now it's his woods gun
laugh.gif
And he's got some pretty respectable rifles ...

Last edited:
Well and the 6.5 Arisaka round was also used in some other designs. The Russians used it in the Fedorov Avtomat rifle designed in world war 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back