Ariens SnowTech @ HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's usually a fuel system issue when you get the surging RPM. I've never had it be a governor or spark plug problem. The RPMs start to dive due to the a/f ratio leaning out, so the governor pegs out in an attempt to recover, then over-shoots and the oscillations begin. Partial choke usually alleviates this, but you'll be running richer than you should.

My 11yr/old Tecumseh 7hp OHV started to do this recently. I've never touched the carb on it, so I assume it's time for a cleaning.

Joel

Tecumseh has the jet in the bottom bolt. From what I can gather from watching youtube videos and reading on the web; you can remove that bolt (make sure gas line is pinched or closed) and clean small holes in it. There might be up to 3 holes in that bolt.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
chonda.jpg

Been a few storms since I repowered an old toro 724 from tecumseh to Harbor Freight 6.5 "chonda". May not be exactly the same as LCT but from the same blueprints.

Yes I have an air filter and don't need it, but it draws from underneath where there isn't much snow or water flying around.

Torque curve is good and the carb is 1000 times less finicky than the tec. My biggest fear now is it runs so well my wife takes it out and is smashing the auger into icy banks and other "danger zones" where I don't go (on purpose) and she thinks I'm just lazy and she's going to bust something else like a shear pin!

They say these motors are good on gas, well, I've been through a few gallons, but OTOH it's been quite a winter.

What was the cost in parts to re-power that old bird? What about man hours?

Motor was about $125 shipped ($129 minus 15% coupon plus whatever they charge in shipping for $110 worth of stuff-- wasn't oversize) plus the pulleys were $15 and the belts $15 (I got two and one is a spare) and $2 for the longer mounting bolts and $1 for half a quart of oil.

Took about 90 minutes but most of that was scratching my head and removing the blower's mounting plate from its rubber isolators and general nose scratching.

I think the choke fixing the surging is a function of its being a "restrictor plate" and limiting top RPM. I'm happy the governor is quick to react. If one wants they can run at 80% speed, you'll still get WOT when it needs it in a heavy bank.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

What was in it?

Some Chinese brand "Torch" standard copper plug. Tell you the truth, actually looked pretty good and was doing the job fine.

Put in a Bosh Platinum P/N 4478 plug and no noticeable difference in the surging. Still have to have a little choke on until warm.
To me, not worth messing with carb or governor settings and that will be as far as I take it.

Hootbro,
The Craftsman blower of my buddys is brand new(1st winter) and it's surging. How about yours, how old/new?

Hootbro,
The Craftsman blower of my buddys is brand new(1st winter) and it's surging. How about yours, how old/new?

Bought new this season

Originally Posted By: JTK
It's usually a fuel system issue when you get the surging RPM. I've never had it be a governor or spark plug problem. The RPMs start to dive due to the a/f ratio leaning out, so the governor pegs out in an attempt to recover, then over-shoots and the oscillations begin. Partial choke usually alleviates this, but you'll be running richer than you should.

My 11yr/old Tecumseh 7hp OHV started to do this recently. I've never touched the carb on it, so I assume it's time for a cleaning.

Joel

Well then, these engines have faulty fuel systems from the factory because these two sound identical.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Hootbro,

Bought new this season

The problem is probably due to the size of the pilot jet and possibly main jet in the carb. In order to meet EPA requirements, new engine carburetors are set ridiculously lean. If you want to fix engine surging, you may need to experiment with the jets by increasing the size until the engine runs the way you want it to.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
The problem is probably due to the size of the pilot jet and possibly main jet in the carb. In order to meet EPA requirements, new engine carburetors are set ridiculously lean. If you want to fix engine surging, you may need to experiment with the jets by increasing the size until the engine runs the way you want it to.

Well then, I guess it's a fuel system issue by design.

Choke...1/4 on, while in use!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back