Are you serious about tire rotation intervals?

I personally only rotate them early if they are not wearing evenly or starts to feather. Otherwise, I rotate them every 8-10k miles.

I tend to drive faster on the wide open highways, but slower otherwise. I get very good life out of tires and only had one alignment needed. I don't care for entry fellas messing with my lug nuts or drain plugs. This in 55 years of my car life.

It depends on the car. If I see different wear rates on the tires, I would do it. If not I avoid the extra work. Two of our cars have different sizes front to back so rotation is not possible.

Every 5-6K miles. Like another poster said, I can check the tires for nails and whatnot. Get a front end alignment once a year

Town fair tire here in town recommends if putting on two new tires to put on the back for better traction in snow and severe weather, if you lose traction in the front you can steer out of it (hopefully)
A weekend at the Bridgestone Winter Driving School taught me that oversteer is much easier to correct than understeer, especially on a front-wheel drive vehicle. Apply the throttle and it will pull the rear wheels back into line.

I used to run into this when I was commuting while passing trucks on a slippery road. They'd throw up a rooster tail of slush, causing me to instinctively back off the gas. Then the rear wheels would get a little loose. Back on the gas and the car would settle -- and I'd be past the truck.

That's with Nokian Hakkapeliittas on all four wheels.

I have to admit I have been lax most of my life about rotations. I rarely had them done as I rarely took my car into a shop for routine maintenance. Over the past few years I have tried to be better at rotating them.

How about you all?

Cant rotate the tires on the caddy...staggered setup, but the rears always wear twice as fast as the fronts !!

GUILTY

My tires rarely get rotated. The time and cost of rotating the tires every 5,000 miles or so cut deeply into a set of new tires. The balance and alignment have been precisely set (it's taken a couple-three tries to get it to be spot on), tire wear is perfectly even across the treads, and the car tracks straight and true. I just don't want to mess with the setup at all.

People should be. I’m sick of hearing people whine about tires not making it to their service life. If they are rotated; you have a better chance.

I took my Focus to the tire shop Saturday and they rotated mine free. Since they inspected it and I know 4 guys that work there. Plus I send them quite a lot of business

Allow me to quote Moe Szyslak, when asked how many times he'd used the phrase "Drinks on the house":

"Ahh... approximately never".

(For those unfamiliar with the reference, it's a quote from the Simpsons cast episode of "Inside the Actor's Studio")

I hardly if ever rotate them on my cars and still get way past the expected tread life rating, however me and my wife are pretty relaxed drivers (not slowpokes but not aggressive). My Civic and Mazda5 are pretty light cars, and the Ranger's tires age out before showing much wear so no point there.

As long as suspension and alignment are good, every few oil changes is likely fine, at least in my case.

If you get it done free while shopping at Costco or w/e is one thing, but some shops charge $15-$30+ so a few rotations could just get you a couple of tires ..

Last edited:
I try to “rotate” every oil change. But sometimes I forget and it doesn’t bother me if I forget. instead of “rotating”, I check the tread depth. In general, less worn tires go to the front. Also, tires that are more worn on the edges tend to go on the rear. I’m probably kind of weird doing it that way.

Hardly ever. I usually just don’t feel like it since I use ramps for my oil change I don’t want to have to drag the Jack to the end of the street and don’t have an impact at home. I do it eventually when I start to notice uneven wear but I’ll be honest I put it off as long as possible. My Escape I’m more careful about doing it on because it’s rough on front tires so I always make sure to do regular rotations on it. And it’s 4WD so all the tires have to be even within the allowed range.

Every other oil change on the Ranger (10K/5k OCI)
Every oil change on the Accord (7.5K)
Every oil change on the Acura (5k)

I hardly if ever rotate them on my cars and still get way past the expected tread life rating, however me and my wife are pretty relaxed drivers (not slowpokes but not aggressive). My Civic and Mazda5 are pretty light cars, and the Ranger's tires age out before showing much wear so no point there.

As long as suspension and alignment are good, every few oil changes is likely fine, at least in my case.

If you get it done free while shopping at Costco or w/e is one thing, but some shops charge $15-$30+ so a few rotations could just get you a couple of tires ..
I just paid $40 - replacement tires will be $400 each …

I just paid $40 - replacement tires will be $400 each …
Obviously this isn't a one size fits all situation, the 15-16 inch tires that all my cars use are usually around $60 - $80.
With that price tag for a rotation I could have bought another set of tires after a few rotates.

Back