Are you serious about tire rotation intervals?

On my 2 wheel drive vehicles, or part time 4wd I never rotate the tires (how do you know you have a problem if you are applying the problem to multiple tires so they all wear down equally). On full time 4wd I do rotate about every 8-10K after checking them carefully for abnormal wear.

All of my two wheel drive vehicles in the last 30 years have worn down tires perfectly. No weird or accelerated tire wear. If there is weird or accelerated tire wear get it fixed by an excellent alignment shop and I cannot stress that enough. In San Diego, back in the day when I worked in a garage, there were only two shops that we knew of that did outstanding alignment work. There were many hundreds of other shops that were on some level bad to horrible. The tire shops were the worst! We had an alignment rack, but didn't do alignments because it is a science that very few people can get right every time. Many shops make your problem worse. I have stories, but I'll just leave it at that.

I do it myself every 5,000 miles. I can check each tire for uneven wear, nails, etc. and air up the spare while I'm at it (also make sure the rig for the spare under the truck is greased and working correctly). All of our cars wear tires fine across the face but will wear the fronts more quickly than the rears. I tried to stretch the intervals to 10,000 miles but found I would get tire growl (not sure if that was tire or vehicle dependent). 5,000 mile intervals keep things quiet.

As needed.

On my FWD and RWD drive car, the front tires get replaced when worn. When the rear tires are worn the front wheels go to rear and new tires go on the front.

On my AWD vehicles, the tires go from front to rear and vice versa to keep the wear approximately even. All four tires get replaced at the same time

I avoid cross-rotation, most of my vehicles' tires are directional, to begin with, because it increases wear temporarily and because it changes handling characteristics. If there's uneven wear it's either an alignment issue or a driving habit causing it.

Last edited:
I don`t rotate them as per say, but i do put the best wheels in the front of the car when i swap for summer to winter tyres and vice versa. My car is FWD so i need the best tyres up front.

Yes, although towards the end I might skip the last rotation, if they are closing in on 4/32's and the rears are at 5, I won't bother. Often, towards the end, they are starting to get loud, and a rotation may make the noise worse.

I don`t rotate them as per say, but i do put the best wheels in the front of the car when i swap for summer to winter tyres and vice versa. My car is FWD so i need the best tyres up front.
That's what the tire shop did for me when I had a tire failure and needed a new front tire. They sold me two new tires put them on the front. I've read the opposite, though, that the newer tires should go in the rear regardless of FWD, RWD, or 4WD.

I used to - they would be rotated every annual service (~4-5k annual miles) on my E-Golf, GLI will get a rotation in its 1x annual service (8-10k miles). The ID.4 has a staggered setup so no rotation to worry about anymore there, now will just need to worry about shopping for tires every 20k miles instead of an annual rotation. :ROFLMAO:

I get excellent life out of wife’s Tiguan tires using 10k oil change intervals and they only charge $20 for rotation.

Her own set lasted 68k and her current set RT43 wearing well at 52k miles.

I get excellent life out of wife’s Tiguan tires using 10k oil change intervals and they only charge $20 for rotation.

Her own set lasted 68k and her current set RT43 wearing well at 52k miles.
If you use VW dealer service keep your eyes peeled for free rotation coupons on the dealer website. My dealer offers them regularly and I would say I got ¾ of my rotations free, just don't tell them about it until you are just almost done dropping your car off and have a price so they don't try to pad the overall ticket. "Oh woops sorry I forgot I had this coupon."

What's a "tire rotation interval"?

The GS has split size rubber. Yay!
The Tesla had a nail and the tire was $400. Ain't gonna ratate any more.
The Tundra tires are too heavy.
The rest, sometimes. I think. Or not...

Every 5-6K miles. Like another poster said, I can check the tires for nails and whatnot. Get a front end alignment once a year

Town fair tire here in town recommends if putting on two new tires to put on the back for better traction in snow and severe weather, if you lose traction in the front you can steer out of it (hopefully)

Back