Are you noticing your aging

July 10th and July 31(today)

I had 2 cateract surgeries for the left and right eye, today being the last.

I'm 46 years old, go to the gym 5 times a week. Weight lifting and cardio are what keeps me going. Do I feel old some days? Yes, but I enjoy kicking around weights in the gym harder then the younger crowd does and that's what you gotta remember, be tougher then life, and you'll be just fine.

😎

41...best shape of my adult life. I lift heavy 3x per week following a 5x5. My vision is actually getting better (nearsighted) which is common after 40 but I'm on the verge of needing bifocals so I'll call that a wash. Definitely getting some more wrinkles on the face and my beard is grayer than anything else.

All that said, I've been training regularly for 5 years and I can definitely already see a significant difference. It not so much my ability to gain strength as it is the time I need between sessions to recover. At my peak, I had very decent lifting numbers but the problem was mentally and physically I just felt beaten up 100% of the time.

CV-19 shut down the gym for 3 months and while I lifted at home I did not have access to heavy weights and now I lift more modestly. I still NEED 2 days off after a DL session and still spend at least 3/4 of the week in recovery but that beats 100% of the time recovering.

In my 20's and 30's this volume would not have been all that taxing. I just want to not get hurt and to keep going. I feel it more in joints than muscles now too.

Well at 52, I mean 53. its not to bad. I have the occasional sciatic that causes a limp, neck spasm that makes me walk like a robot and since I haven't been working out due to....my shoulders feel like gravity is pulling them out of the sockets.

I take multivitamins, DHEA, Ginseng, Diatomaceous Earth food grade, apple cider vinegar, B12. This helps me along. I have learned anything technical such as remotes, phones, etc. I hand to my 17 year old son to set it up. This reduces aggravation which is important.

I figure by the time I hit 60 they will have automotive creepers that you stand in and they lower you under the vehicle.

A good BITOG gauge of how old you are would be how long it takes for you to stand upright after crawling out from under the car doing a oil change.

It takes me a good 10-15 seconds to accomplish this. If I get up too fast then I get unsteady.

That’s old age.

I have a wiggle to get off the creeper without putting my oily hands on stuff. This wiggle is getting harder. I can do it fine if I go "full contact" though.

Im 74.As you get older your physical strength goes down. The harder you work at it the molder the decline. Do exercises to help posture. Do exercise in general. Make sure you keep blood pressure good. Keep your cholesterol low..statins if necessary. I need to take a 1 hour nap every day. But my bp is normally 110-120/ 60-70. I don't know anyone my age who is healthier. But I have worked hard in the last 40 years to do the right things. Its worth it.

You need to start working on it at about 35. I ran for 20+ years...every day.

Early 50’s here. Luckily I feel 10 years younger.

Low stress job, I didn’t tare up my body when I was younger. Just starting to get grey hair, no balding either.

Blood test was showing low Vitamin D level, now taking D3 a few times a week.

I'm 51 and still feel the exact same as I did at 18:D. I'm still the exact weight too. I have all my hair (although some grays are coming in, started noticing them in my mid 30s), flat stomach, six pack abs, and no wrinkles. Not a single ache or pain. I hope I stay this way!

I try to eat right, lift weights three nights a week (tonight is chest and shoulders night) , and try to take a run every night.
Good for you. BTW (and posters here) might want to try to give blood. Its easier for me to give now than 40 years ago. I just gave two days ago. There is something to the "bleeding" they used to do way back then. You are initiallyired bud the new blood cells you make make you feel better a week or so out. And I have not taken my bp meds for 2 days..my blood pressure would be too low. Also got a free anti-body test. Don't have the results. Believe it or not..blood donations in april and May were through the roof..go figure.

I am 39 and lost a lot of weight before the current situation. I don’t feel old as my girlfriend says I could pass for 23 years old 🙊👍

At 62 wife and I hike just fine. We did the 7 miler like nothing yesterday out to the end of Cape Falcon. Some scrambley bits. Wife says no pictures of her doing the crab uphill. Hahahaha None of me slide surfing down hill. Zero aches and pains this AM!!

Lots of water. A couple eggs once or twice a week. Some meat, but at least 3 days a week vegetarian. Green veggies. Lots of fresh good produce. No fruit juices. TRY to limit bread, but I'm a sucker for good chewy euro bread. My other weakness is smoked foods. Fish, cheese, meats they say that stuff will kill you.....well I am going to die at some point................enjoy life! ♥❤🥁

I take Vit D because like most EVERYONE north of the 45th, definite deficiency. D is critical - immune system for sure.

I hadn't seen a doctor in 15 yrs until I caught bacterial pneumonia and tried to gut it out because I was on call. That was at 57. Pretty much a physical wreck by then.Deaf plus tinnitus, losing teeth apace. Bifocals and cataracts. A yr later they found breast cancer. 10yrs later, its a clogged coronary artery. I'm into statins, and time release vaso-dilators. I no longer smoke tobacco, I drink very little, cut way back on red meats. Quit caffeine Lost weight and had 12 weeks of cardio re-hab and got myself a treadmill. I don't use the treadmill anymore, I should. I am doing yard work, slow and careful and I am walking a lot due to short term Memory loss. Every time I forget something and have to return to get it. I console myself that at least I'm getting my exercise. I actually feel pretty good 😃 .

Last edited:
86 next month, couple of stents, the worry about when the next one comes, and the usual worn out joints for this age. In my head I'm still young, till I look in mirror and see all the wrinkles! LOL. Still able to keep 7 acres of field/yard that surrounds the house mowed. Sitting on tractor pulling a mower is not hard work. It would be easier if the trashy people would stop tossing their cans and McDee trash out which i have to pick up as I mow.
Wonderful wife of 46 years hanging in and still able to keep house and cook. Two dogs and two cats that we treat like our children. For pleasure I'm still able to ride the Can Am spyder and Slingshot, mostly short jaunts before the day gets too hot.

No regrets, its been a long haul and so far pretty darn good. A lot don't make it this far.

at 65 I'm still working in the home remodeling game....sure cant keep up like I used to but real glad I can still do that type of work...now getting up in the morning takes a bit to get limbered up , aspirin and any over the counter pain patches help ...lol

My body actually feels pretty good, but I don't quite have the energy that I had 15 years ago. I know some former athletes who have all sorts of joint problems at my age. That's not to say there aren't little problems here or there but I'm doing OK.

The things I do notice are that my skin is starting to look a little bit older. Not super wrinkly or anything, but there's this test where one pinches the skin on the back of the hand. When young the skin springs right back. I saw a demonstration on the news once when they asked an anchor in his late 60s to do the same thing and it took a few seconds to come back. I'm not quite at that level, but I can tell my skin is aging.

I've had the occasional white hair since my 20s, but it's getting more noticeable. And white nose hairs tend to stand out. I still have most of my hair but it's thinning on the top (but not at the front yet). Eventually I'm going to be like my dad, although he didn't really start having issues until his 60s.

I'm 65 and some of the injuries that happened over the years are haunting me almost every day. If it does not rain, most days I am able to get a 1/2 hour walk in on back roads of a big park about 9 miles away. It is nice that mostly only older people walk on these roads and with the current C-19 when someone is coming in the opposite direction ether they or I will always cross to the other side of the road if we were on the same side so as to maintain two lanes of distance from each other. My back and lower left leg limit how long I can walk. I use to walk 45 minutes and only quit because that was good enough for a day but could have walked much farther. And I use walk around the outer perimeter of the park once every summer, that walk would start at sun-up and end just before sun-down on a long summer day. But now days 30 minutes is usually safe, 45 minutes can be asking for pain. I was getting back into playing the acoustic guitar daily after each walk, and the back pain was limiting how long I could do that, but that was too much for my right wrist. Arthritis in that wrist caused by previous injuries acted up, and now I am giving the wrist a break from guitar and wearing a wrist brace to get it to come around. I hope to get back into playing the guitar soon.

One of the worst things about getting older is the loss of friends and relatives who have passed away. I had the privilege of having some very good relatives, and some of the electronic and software engineers I worked with were not only top notch in their field, but great people in every day life. It was a privilege to know each of them, and sometimes I have to stop and think of each of there names.

One thing I did right recently was that over a year ago when my doctor told me that I was pre-diabetic, I got books on it out of the library and read them cover to cover. One book "The Prediabetes Diet Plan: How to Reverse Prediabetes and Prevent Diabetes Through Healthy Eating and Exercise by Hillary Wright" (who is a registered dietitian who has years or working with an endocrinologist), is heads and shoulders above all the other books. If I could of only read one book on that subject that would be the one. With the information in that book I went from 227 Lbs. to 174 Lbs in six months and brought my A1c from the pre-diabetic range back into the normal range, and my BMI well into the normal range (I'm 6'4"), and have keep them there. My dad and his dad were both type 2 diabetics in their later years and it wrecked there health. For now I am preventing pre-diabetes from becoming diabetics. I could not have done it without the knowledge I got from that book. And if any of you are pre-diabetic I recommend you get that book. The limiting meals to 60 grams of carbohydrates or less, and only one or 2 snacks to 30 grams of carbohydrates or less as outlined in that book (or as much as 75 grams of carbohydrates for tall large frame people which I may qualify for, but seldom use this excuse to go above 60 grams), really causes the weight to come off, and stay off. And it gives the pancreas a break from having to work too hard because of ingesting too many carbs.

I am not looking forward to next winter, because I use to walk in a mall almost every day in winter, but now with C-19 even if the mall is reopened I would not risk it. And once it gets below 50 F or lower I do not care for walking outdoors. I do not look forward to months of not walking daily.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
JimPghPA Bbuy a stair climber or something similar machine, it is not as nice as walking but put in front of the TV and get some wireless head phones for the tv and do a half an hour of moving.

Back