Are you brand neutral?

We own 2 Fords and a Toyota.. And, I've owned Chevys in the past as well.
The 1973 Monte Carlo I owned was a great car. And the 1978 short bed Chevy 4x4 with
the small block 400. Great truck.
Mostly all have done me/us, well.

Extremely brand loyal when it comes to cars. Subaru, Subaru and nothing but Subaru. The wife mandates that she must drive a Subaru; happy wife...happy life. We've had awesome service from our Subaru vehicles, even through the "bad head gasket" days, never an issue. The price point and awd system is what sold her/me. As for me, I grew up in a Ford house. However, the last 20 years I have driven GM trucks. I just traded last spring for an F150 (first Ford in 20 years) and I didn't realize how brand loyal I had become. Even though the F-150 has been perfect so far, I subconciously am always thinking I should have bought a Chevy.

I am not brand loyal at all however I have owned more Civic's than anything. They just seem to be very reliable and run forever. As my signature states I have a Honda, Ford, Chevrolet and a Jeep therefore I am very open minded when it comes to vehicles. I really like the Subaru Crosstrek and might replace my Honda when I decide to trade. I also like the 2023 Toyota Prius Hybrid or Corolla. Reliability is what I prefer over anything.

Try to be, but the few die-hard and deluded Toyota cheerleaders we've had on here over the years has me avoiding the brand just out of spite. Petty? Absolutely.

I grew up with a grandfather that was a Ford die-hard (think I've mentioned that in the past), he used a GM engine to moore our floating swim dock. My dad was not brand loyal, and had owned an MG, Morgan, Mustang, VW bug, Fairlane, Pinto, Caprice...etc. His parents just bought what they liked, so his approach was pretty similar.

My first car was an Olds, my parents had an Olds wagon at the time, it was a pile, that was my 2nd car. Dad, implored by mom's dad, bought a Lincoln, which we owned for what has to be 20 years, as I ended up with it and then I gifted it to friends of ours that needed a vehicle but weren't in a great situation financially. He (my dad) has been a "Ford guy" since, currently owns a Lincoln, they've owned two Expedition's (which they still own, it's 23 years old...).

I've owned Mazda, Ford/Lincoln, BMW, Olds, Subaru (used Forester XT, dealer bought it back), and of course a lot of Daimler-Chrysler/FCA products, since my buddy owns the dealership. I would have considered myself a Ford guy for the most part, as that tended to be my default, but as I noted, I've tried to be more open minded to other options, and have shopped other options, in the last decade or so.

There are a few brands I've not had the opportunity to drive, but these are not vehicles in my price range, like Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin...etc.

Currently really like what BMW is doing, and I loved the i4 M50 (but my wife didn't, she preferred the iX M50). My M5 was my favourite driving car of everything I've owned, and my wife is obsessed with the X5. But, we love both our vehicles, so I don't see any change coming in the near future.

We tend to try and have one "fun" vehicle and one "practical" vehicle, which is why I had the M5, Charger and my SRT Grand Cherokee's, while we also had the Expedition, Durango and then two 1500's.

Last edited:
I had a couple of moments of weakness where I bought a Pontiac and an Oldsmobile but after some crucial self reflection the other 15 or so have all been Chevys. (y)

Have never had a VW and it looks unlikely.

I do like utter junk, but in the traditional sense-- something with a hard part that can be replaced. Not a fan of many CVTs, nor Fiat/ Chrysler. My 1984 Dodge yard plow truck is a fine specimen though. Its design goes back to 1970. Not a fan of cars that need reprogramming when a module is changed, or its battery, shocks, etc.

Try to be, but the few die-hard and deluded Toyota cheerleaders we've had on here over the years has me avoiding the brand just out of spite. Petty? Absolutely.
Exactly my thoughts.

I may still be salty about a 1995 Camry 4 banger that overheated on me once and was mechanically totaled though. So much for being the ultimate in reliability… my Durango on the other hand hit 300F+ twice and went another 55k miles without any engine issues.

I had a couple of moments of weakness where I bought a Pontiac and an Oldsmobile but after some crucial self reflection the other 15 or so have all been Chevys. (y)
I had a 1972 Pontiac LeMans. Was one of the fastest, all stock, cars I ever owned.
It would float the lifters at 138 mph.
Great car.

IMHO there is nothing special about Toyota reliability, in that their "secret" to achieving this is through an extremely stale product line. They come out with something and then spin it out year after year with no changes.

Case in point, the new Tundra. The old one was very reliable at this point. But look under the skin of the old model and they're using the oldest tech around, basic v8 engine, 6 speed transmission; FCA was dabbling in MDS already in 2006 and had the first 8 speed back in 2014? They had the first panoramic sunroof, the first 5 coil link suspension, the first (and currently only) four corner air suspension etc etc. All those features have a place (or not), and a value (or not), and naturally a product that changes quickly and often is more susceptible to problems cropping up.

So now watch reviews of the new Tundra, and you see the same thing. They had some turbo issues (fixed quickly to their credit), their infotainment system is half baked and extremely frustrating, trim is unmatched and/or falling off in spots. The ride is very jittery putting it in last place. Gas mileage with their new turbo is even behind the hemi in a similar truck but geared for towing and not highway MPG (watch Truck King on YT for a comparison). So when Toyota puts out a new product, they have issues too, they just run the same product for what appears to be 15+ years, fixing problems as they go, without major changes, and that's how they get their stability.

I'm glad they're there, every product has something that seems to attract a certain buyer and those who value those attributes like old tech in a new car have a home with Toyota. Just as long as those fans also realize how they get to that point and why other brands might have seemingly more issues. At one point a few years ago I believe they had the most recalls than any other brand.

I was hoping for more from the new Tundra to be honest. If they would have evolved the styling instead of whatever you call it now, and had an updated v8 + interior + ride quality I would have probably switched brands. As it is, the new Tundra is still behind multiple trucks that have been on the market for 3 to 4 years already.

I had a 1972 Pontiac LeMans. Was one of the fastest, all stock, cars I ever owned.
It would float the lifters at 138 mph.
Great car.
Mine was a 73 and it was a rusty $300 car that I drove as a winter beater. It had the nothing to lose vibe so no one usually pulled out in front of you. I wish I still had it but I drove it for over 2 yrs and sold it for $250, probably the cheapest ride I have ever owned.

Thats why I buy Hyundai's and Kias. ;)
I’ve worked as a tech at Ford, VW, Hyundai/Kia, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, GM, and currently at BMW. I have done more heavy work at Hyundai and Kia than any of the other brands. You want reliability get you a Toyota. They have the least issues, but Mazda is right there with them and I mean right there.

I used to be a bit brand loyal but as I age I find that if I had a bad experience with a brand (e.g. Tesla, Jeep), I just cross them off my shopping list next time. Current daily drivers are Toyota and Lexus. So much less problems and issues and headache with those brands.

Generally speaking there is no reason to be brand loyal to any for-profit company. If the company's products work for you and you have good experiences, then sure go buy another. I would not just keep buying brand X just because that's what I always did, or my dad always did, etc.

Nope, total Toyota fanboi. Loved my VW but it'd take a small lottery winnings for me to go back.

But to be honest, my next will likely be whatever pile I can scrape up cash for, to some degree, I think all cars suck now. New, they cost too much and have stuff I don't want. Old, and it's a grab-bag of fail, a bit like Forrest's box of chocolates, buying someone else's used car.
Toyota fan here as well!

Toyota/Lexus offers more than enough for me while still having reliability and ease of maintenance.

What's the point of having a car if it spends most of it time at the shop

I’ve worked as a tech at Ford, VW, Hyundai/Kia, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, GM, and currently at BMW. I have done more heavy work at Hyundai and Kia than any of the other brands. You want reliability get you a Toyota. They have the least issues, but Mazda is right there with them and I mean right there.
That's because the majority of Mazda vehicles are still made and assembled in Japan (indicative by the "J" VIN).

I look for whatever is known to be reliable from whatever brand, I'm not loyal to anything specific.

Every manufacturer has their good and bad.

I usually lean towards BMW and Mini for my cars, and Wranglers for my SUVs. They suit my needs/wants better than most anything else I've owned or driven. That said, I could also see myself in a Cayman S, or a Giulia Q4.
As it turns out, my last purchase was a Mercedes-AMG; the other finalists were a 2022 M240i xDrive and a CPO 2021 Mach 1- and both were several thousand dollars more expensive than the C43. Also, note that the C43 was fitted with performance tires so the top speed was derestricted from a ridiculous 133 mph to a much more reasonable 155 mph- or else I would have passed.

Last edited:
Brand favor, taste or favoring a certain style or ergonomics?

I will admit to a European bias for the toys, but usually cross shop vehicles in class for my DD. For example, the last purchase, replacing a GLS450, involved us looking at the MB's (great vehicles, but I admit they are mostly not my taste), the Suburban/Yukon, Land Cruiser, etc. and I wound back w another Range Rover... Why? Comfort. I like the 'feel' and I am comfortable w/ the control layout, their 'tech' somehow appeals to the Luddite in me and the relatively understated style. Am I a LR fanboy? No, and given some of my dealer service experiences, I shouldn't be, but they just feel right, which I see as distinct from favoring the Brand.

OK, I am a Porsche fanboy:cool:

Last edited:
Back