Are yellow pages still published anywhere?

I haven't gotten a phonebook in ages. Which is a shame, because I taught myself as a teen how to tear them in half.

It's a fun trick

Thursday hot take:
The path that has been plotted by the yellow pages (and its obsolescence) will be followed by the internal combustion engine.
And newspapers, and landline phones? In the 70's they thought convertibles would disappear. And they did, for a few years. But came back stronger then before.

And newspapers, and landline phones? In the 70's they thought convertibles would disappear. And they did, for a few years. But came back stronger then before.

So you are saying that newspapers and landlines will have a resurgence?

Every time I go into a store, I see a landline phone on the counter, desk or wall. I can't imagine any business without a landline. The voice quality of cellular is mediocre at best and often pretty poor. Whenever a friend calls me on my landline from his cell, I constantly have to ask him, what was that, can you repeat that. If he calls my cell, it's like I can barely make out what he says.
Cell quality varies widely from superior HD quality to really poor. It depends on phone used, carrier and local conditions If your friend uses a flip phone the answer is likely there.

I call my brother on his iPhone 11 and he uses Air Pods as headset and the quality is amazing like we are in same room with me on my iPhone 11 also.

Land lines give consistency in quality for sure.

I opted out of receiving phone books a long time ago. I still get an occasional specialize local directory which goes right into the bin. I no longer get the area wide phone books so registering on the site below worked well, for the most part.

I haven't seen one in years...I'd love to see what companies are dumb enough to spend money advertising in one.

If vinyl records have, why not. Internet is pretty fragmented with information coming from so many different and unknown sources.
In that case, how long do we have to wait for the horse and buggy? Maybe steam locomotives are next? How about bloodletting? That used to be popular in the middle ages.

We really don't have the time to get into why not.

Some things can be retro and some things are just gone for good.

We still get one downsized tiny print yellow pages book every year or two. A few years back, we were receiving two different publisher's yellow books, No land line here for some years, so no phone co. book. My wife actually uses the book on rare occasions. I agree with those finding the online YP versions totally useless. Long closed businesses and far distant businesses listed first for paying a fee.

What I find amazing is the continued existence of two local classifieds and commercial advert weekly print rags. Same publisher, just targeted to two separate zones. They no longer deliver to homes as they did for decades, but are available everywhere. There are a fair number of Old Order Mennonites in the area and that is part of the continued success. There are far more people who don't go online by choice or necessity than may be imagined. Though there are so many things that can't be done otherwise.

Law here requires legal filings to be posted in "local" newspapers. Small local papers (2 of them) are full each week of RMC listings, bankruptcy filings, tax collections, liens and demands, etc. That is what the state considers "proper notice of pending action". Won't see any of that on FB marketplace or search engines most of the time.

We get a phone book from our Telco Co-Op! They just upgraded their entire infrastructure to Fiber/copper combo! So Now I got a landline and fiber internet!!!

I am so fortunate to even have a co-op! The reason I'm on landline is obvious, living in the country... and since it is still copper, the co-op keeps the line energized, so I can call during a power outage without some battery backup.(and I can send faxes with no problem!) Also landline phone quality is awesome, and I don't have to compete for a socket on the single cell tower that covers this area when everyone calls in during a snow storm, yes I could not make a call because all circuits were full!

I have better phone/internet here 20 miles out, than they do in the local town! (Frontier runs that sheet, 30 year old coaxial internet)

Last edited:
We get a phone book from our Telco Co-Op! They just upgraded their entire infrastructure to Fiber/copper combo! So Now I got a landline and fiber internet!!!

I am so fortunate to even have a co-op! The reason I'm on landline is obvious, living in the country... and since it is still copper, the co-op keeps the line energized, so I can call during a power outage without some battery backup.(and I can send faxes with no problem!) Also landline phone quality is awesome, and I don't have to compete for a socket on the single cell tower that covers this area when everyone calls in during a snow storm, yes I could not make a call because all circuits were full!

I have better phone/internet here 20 miles out, than they do in the local town! (Frontier runs that sheet, 30 year old coaxial internet)

I agree with this 100%.. and no I'm not some old guy in a "elderly care facility" lol.. Just because it's "new" technology doesn't mean it's always going to be the best. When I was young they were getting rid of vinyl records because digital music sounded so much better. Problem is, most of those turntable/record players had terrible quality, so the vinyl sounded terrible. Now.. vinyl is making a comeback.. why? Look at the quality of those pickups/needles! exactly..

like putting bald tires on a car and blaming that "old car" for its problems... something to think about.

Back