Are turbo engines built more stoutly than NA engines?

GM upgraded the LHU turbo 4 to the LTG version, new design and performance.
gm-2-0l-turbo-i4-ltg-2 (1).jpg

GM upgraded the LHU turbo 4 to the LTG version, new design and performance.
View attachment 54456
This isn’t a good example. The LHU and LTG are two TOTALLY different engine families.

A better comparison would have been the L61 and LNF turbo. Same engine family, but the LNF had numerous updates for turbocharging.

Older Subaru’s used closed deck designs for their turbo motors, while NA were open deck and more prone to head gasket location failures. Interesting about the Volvo red block.... I wondered about the 5 cyl white blocks.... to my knowledge they get lower compression from either heads, or a heads/crank/conrod combo. It’s a relatively low pressure turbo, with upwards of 6 pounds of boost IIRC.

the Ford 2.7 is designed from the ground up for it.... with different block materials to start with. Ive wondered why they kept the 3.5 as aluminum, when they’ve got other materials to choose from for high density power designs.

generally the oems have to do something differently because traditionally, turbo engines were designed with a lower compression ratio. That’s probably not required, however, with direct injection.

Mazda did exactly the opposite when it developed the first Miata. The BP 1.6 engine they used was simply a non-turbo motor from the 323 transplanted into the Miata. Complete with piston oil squirters. That made the NA version extremely robust. You can beat and beat on them on the track, autocrosses, etc and they just keep running. Or, you can boost the 110ish factory hp to well over 200 with turbo upgrades. I've personally seen 250hp daily drivers on non-modified 1.6L engines (Except for fueling/ECM).

The Australian 'Barra' engine straight 6 DOHC VCT with Garrett 3582r (from factory) was very over engineered. About 350HP from the factory with upgraded pistons, rods and timing chain, is capable of supporting 800HP on e85 for a long time, that's as it comes from the factory, the only thing needed is upgraded valve springs and a high flowed factory turbo. It will do 600rwhp on e85 @20-24psi with the untouched factory turbo and new valve springs.

Many automakers will use an engine that's already in production as a NA engine to make a turbocharged version. My question is, do they do it correctly by using forged engine parts in the turbo version, or do they just slap a turbo on the same engine?
It depends i guess. My cx5 uses a forged crank and so forth, but so does the NA engine. I've heard of engines dying from a failed oil pump or other issue of that nature, but I've literally never heard of a skyactiv engine failing mechanically like the piston ring lands broke or that sort of thing such as dropping a valve or whatever. There was some ECM update needed for the displacement on demand system, but that was a software issue that caused the hardware rocker arm failure, now fixed. It's just a stoopid tough engine. Many other engines like this exist, too. Engines are just....not a concern in 2021. Its transmissions (getting better every year), and other stuff like bushings and alternators and all. We really are in the golden age for automobiles, if not styling.

The Australian 'Barra' engine straight 6 DOHC VCT with Garrett 3582r (from factory) was very over engineered. About 350HP from the factory with upgraded pistons, rods and timing chain, is capable of supporting 800HP on e85 for a long time, that's as it comes from the factory, the only thing needed is upgraded valve springs and a high flowed factory turbo. It will do 600rwhp on e85 @20-24psi with the untouched factory turbo and new valve springs.
The Barra is a monster. 4 valve, blown, and made for hate.

The Barra is a monster. 4 valve, blown, and made for hate.

A buddy of mine is almost done with his Barra based project (with a custom turbo/added tweaks) & a stout 6r80 behind it.

Going to be in an '88 D150, should be a bit more fun than the stock 318 TBI it had.

Our Hyundai 2.0T has been the most reliable, trouble free engine either of us have ever owned. 9 years and 230k miles.

A buddy of mine is almost done with his Barra based project (with a custom turbo/added tweaks) & a stout 6r80 behind it.

Going to be in an '88 D150, should be a bit more fun than the stock 318 TBI it had.
It will go very well in a 3500lb car/truck the falcon in Australia weighs 4000lb that's its only short coming but we just keep turning up the power. Really is an exceptional engine and I say that as an original v8 only man.

Many automakers will use an engine that's already in production as a NA engine to make a turbocharged version. My question is, do they do it correctly by using forged engine parts in the turbo version, or do they just slap a turbo on the same engine?
My WAG is that they aren't built with less robust parts but they are asked to do at lot for their displacement. EX, I4 turbo gas moving a SUV.

earlier port injected turbod engines can be great, my 2001 1.8T jetta enhanced to 275tq + hp ran great + still 25 LB on the boost-vac gauge at trade time 200 thou so i replaced it with a 2001 audi TT 225Q roadster enhanced to 300 hp + torque. engine was said to hold 400 hp but its the torque that tears things apart. newer DI engines can be boosted more without knock but are more complicated + have issues at times + surely costlier!! buying a higher output turbod engine usually gets a stouter engine as well as the drivetrain to go with it!!

It depends i guess. My cx5 uses a forged crank and so forth, but so does the NA engine. I've heard of engines dying from a failed oil pump or other issue of that nature, but I've literally never heard of a skyactiv engine failing mechanically like the piston ring lands broke or that sort of thing such as dropping a valve or whatever. There was some ECM update needed for the displacement on demand system, but that was a software issue that caused the hardware rocker arm failure, now fixed. It's just a stoopid tough engine. Many other engines like this exist, too. Engines are just....not a concern in 2021. Its transmissions (getting better every year), and other stuff like bushings and alternators and all. We really are in the golden age for automobiles, if not styling.
I love the Skyactiv design, they were basically proven ways tuners use to build up their stock car for tracks and they did that in the factory. It is cheaper and lower risk for them to get that in stock with known track record (literally).

Interesting about the Volvo red block.... I wondered about the 5 cyl white blocks.... to my knowledge they get lower compression from either heads, or a heads/crank/conrod combo. It’s a relatively low pressure turbo, with upwards of 6 pounds of boost IIRC.
The T5 was a hybrid of the 2.0 and 2.5....it used the 2.0 block for more meat around the cyls, and the 2.5 crank, giving 2.3 litre. Boost was 0.9 Bar, about 13 psi.

I used to have a Daihatsu GTti...it used the standard 1.0 3 cyl block, with forged pistons and oil squirters, and a dohc 12 valve head. Stock was 10psi boost, but I came across a mechanic from a rally team that used them, he said they went up to 60psi boost and never lost an engine.

The T5 was a hybrid of the 2.0 and 2.5....it used the 2.0 block for more meat around the cyls, and the 2.5 crank, giving 2.3 litre. Boost was 0.9 Bar, about 13 psi.
there was of course the 2.5T in the S60R. highest boost and biggest turbo but the weakest block by far.

the 2.4 is probably the most desirable all the volvo 5s

Back