Are thinner oils about fuel economy or tighter engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me some of those equations and corresponding test data showing what the temperature rise difference is with all factors held constant except for the oil viscosity.

Your inquisitiveness about this minor advantage is noteworthy. However, it is crucial to acknowledge that this is a vast and intricate topic, albeit with a modest impact. Your commendable curiosity deserves recognition, and I can offer you this advice: https://apply.mitadmissions.org/apply/

why do all high performance car makers specify thicker oil for race track use of the car?

It's important to note that not all manufacturers adhere to this principle, and while I cannot provide an exhaustive list of examples, the primary reason for viscosity changes remains the temperature dependence. When the oil is subjected to excessive heat, its viscosity tends to decrease.

I think that’s a bunch of bull.
based on the Hildebrand solubility theory, which considers the cohesive forces between solute and solvent molecules, there is a general trend that as the viscosity of a substance increases, its solubility tends to decrease. This relationship holds true for identical substances, such as same-family (e.g. paraffins, saturated) hydrocarbons.
The rationale behind this trend lies in the fact that higher viscosity often corresponds to stronger intermolecular forces or greater molecular complexity, which can hinder the solubility of the substance. The cohesive forces within the solute molecules or between the solute and solvent molecules become more dominant, making it more difficult for the substance to dissolve and form a homogeneous solution.
However, it's important to note that this relationship may not hold true in all cases, as solubility is a complex phenomenon influenced by multiple factors, including molecular structure, temperature, pressure, and specific interactions between molecules. Other factors beyond viscosity alone can also influence solubility, making it necessary to consider the broader context and characteristics of the substances involved.

In the case of specific commercially available "finished" (PVL) oils, although the aniline point is not commonly disclosed, it can still be sourced from certain outlets such as online forums (rare). The aniline point serves as one of five key indicators used to evaluate essential properties like solubility and the oil's ability to effectively disperse and mitigate deposits.
This logical connection arises due to the typical formulation of synthetic oils found in the market, which generally contain minimal amounts of solvent boosters, averaging below 5%. However, it should be noted that these oils may incorporate specific components that, primarily due to thickening effects, can potentially diminish the solvent capabilities. Additionally, it is imperative to acknowledge the contrasting viscosities of the two liquids under examination, despite possessing similar chemical compositions. For instance, the operating viscosity of an SAE16 oil can be roughly half that of an SAE40 oil, thereby impacting solvency by approximately 1.5 times. This consideration holds true while recognizing similar formulations with more VMs present in SAE40 oil comparing SAE16.

Boris.jpg
iwop.jpg

iii.jpg

The interplay between viscosity and its effects on deposits, as I mentioned earlier, can be clearly observed. However, it appears that a group of zealous shoe polish enthusiasts has taken it upon themselves to launch an unjustified attack :D, leveling accusations against me that defy imagination :)

why.jpg

Last edited:
Your inquisitiveness about this minor advantage is noteworthy. However, it is crucial to acknowledge that this is a vast and intricate topic, albeit with a modest impact. Your commendable curiosity deserves recognition, and I can offer you this advice: https://apply.mitadmissions.org/apply/
Yes, it's minor and doesn't make or break anything in the operation of an engine. Bearings are not going to be damaged or fail because the oil becomes slightly hotter with a thicker oil. Also, as mentioned earlier, the bearing clearance has a lot to do with the temperature rise inside the bearing, regardless of viscosity, so other factors are involved. Even if there is slightly more oil temperature rise from using a higher viscosity oil, the advantage of more MOFT is still prevalent, and why using a thicker oil for track use or other demanding conditions is the direction to go to ensure adequate engine wear protection.

Last edited:
It's important to note that not all manufacturers adhere to this principle, and while I cannot provide an exhaustive list of examples, the primary reason for viscosity changes remains the temperature dependence.
Obviously, thermal control of the oil temperature also plays a major role. Cars designed with effetive oil coolers can get by better with a thinner oil in demanding use conditions. But some high performance cars still specify a thicker oil, even though they also incorporate effective oil coolers (ie. C8 Corvette specifies Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40). It pretty much comes down to how much film thickness headroom the engine designers wish to incorporate into the design.

When the oil is subjected to excessive heat, its viscosity tends to decrease.
We all know that oil viscosity changes with temperature. It doesn't take "excessive heat" to lower the viscosity. The viscosity is lowered inside the journal bearing as it shears and heats up in the supporting hydrodynamic wedge. Bottom line is that thicker oil will always provide more MOFT, even if the oil heats up a bit more inside the bearing because the viscosity inside the bearing is still greater than with a thinner oil. A thinner oil also makes the MOFT smaller, which in turn makes the shear rate of the thinner oil increase, which also makes it heat up more. That's why the difference in oil temperature rise vs viscosity isn't very much and is really a non-issue. It's just a misconception that there's some giant difference and that a thinner oil is going to magically make the sump temperature less. I've ran different viscosity oils in the same engine, and the sump temperature sensor didn't change in any noticeable way.

It's just a misconception that there's some giant difference and that a thinner oil is going to magically make the sump temperature less. I've ran different viscosity oils in the same engine, and the sump temperature sensor didn't change in any noticeable way.

Your personal experience is indeed valuable in contributing to scientific knowledge. It's important to continue observing and collecting data with your precise sensors :D (friendly) :D

However, it's worth noting that there are differing opinions on this matter expressed on various forums. Many individuals have reported experiencing improved heat transfer when transitioning to low viscosity oils.

But let's be clear - I didn't mention anything about FULL heat transfer in my previous statements. Once again, I emphasized two key factors that can be beneficial in reducing viscosity. The primary factor is the enhancement of solvent capacity and dispersion, while the secondary factor, minor, involves improved fluid layer mobility, particularly in narrow areas through self-flow, which contributes to efficient cooling.

Your personal experience is indeed valuable in contributing to scientific knowledge. It's important to continue observing and collecting data with your precise sensors :D (friendly) :D

However, it's worth noting that there are differing opinions on this matter expressed on various forums. Many individuals have reported experiencing improved heat transfer when transitioning to low viscosity oils.
Even if someone did see a slight decrease in oil temperature with a thinner oil, it doesn't mean that it's providing better engine protection because the film thickness between moving parts can still be less than a thicker oil at slightly hotter temperature - again, this is why thicker oil (not thinner) is specified for track use and other demanding use conditions. How much difference in oil temperature are these people claiming? Got links to their chat board claims?

But let's be clear - I didn't mention anything about FULL heat transfer in my previous statements. Once again, I emphasized two key factors that can be beneficial in reducing viscosity. The primary factor is the enhancement of solvent capacity and dispersion, while the secondary factor, minor, involves improved fluid layer mobility, particularly in narrow areas through self-flow, which contributes to efficient cooling.
And exactly were inside an engine do you believe this "enhanced self flow" (due to gravity) is going to be providing better lubrication? And under what conditions? Like explained before, when the oil is hot there isn't enough "self flow" difference to make any difference. If the oil was at -25F and not the correct "W" rating for the conditions (when it should have been), then there may be some notable differences.

Last edited:
And under what conditions? Like explained before, when the oil is hot there isn't enough "self flow" difference to make any difference. If the oil was at -25F and not the correct "W" rating for the conditions (when it should have been), then there may be some notable differences.

I appreciate your viewpoint, but I respectfully disagree with the notion that SAE16 and SAE40 oils behave identically at operating temperatures. Viscosity plays a vital role, as thinner oil tends to drain more rapidly, especially in confined spaces. While it is true that oil will eventually heat up and flow, we should also consider specialized cooling oils that require a low viscosity index to efficiently reduce viscosity, enabling swift movement.

To observe the real-time rate of inflow and runoff at -25°C, I recommend watching the following YouTube video.

Well, thoughts of mine then :)

When it comes to lubricants viscosity, there are several important aspects of engines to consider. As mentioned before here, one of the main challenges lies in refining surface roughness and reducing bearings clearance.
Over time, clearances have generally decreased, with German engines holding no particular disadvantage over American or Japanese motors in this regard (Why they need more viscosity?? Please abstain from expounding upon temperature, for the question served but a rhetorical purpose.)
Now, let's explore the significance of viscosity reduction and its impact on engine oils.
By using oils with lower viscosity, we can achieve a few benefits. Firstly, the oil flows down more easily, which is a small but positive advantage. Secondly, and more importantly, lower viscosity oils have greater solvent capacity.

In modern engines, issues like oil coking and piston ring sticking have become common. These problems can be attributed to various factors, including the quality and viscosity of the oil. While the amount of polymer & additives in the oil plays a role, it's not the most critical aspect. It's possible to produce SAE40 oil with a small amount of polymer, but for certain applications like PCMO in winter, mineral 600 base oil without polymer is not suitable.

So, Law: when we decrease viscosity, we enhance the solvent capacity of the oil due to the physico-chemical properties of liquids. I am comming to realize that there is no need to embark upon a daunting search for identical oil series, meticulously comparing their D611 and D1133 characteristics, It suffices to say that reducing viscosity leads to increased dissolving capabilities. But I guided by the profound wisdom encapsulated within two fundamental equations: [Stokes - Einstein] and [Nernst - Brunner]. Should you desire, I am more than willing to share the some insights of these revered equations.

Boosters like esters can be used, but they also tend to provide better results in SAE16 oils compared to SAE40 oils. However, it's important to note that even boosters have limitations. Esters have limitations in PCMOs a lot.
In essence, within a chosen series of oils with similar compositions, lower viscosity oils always exhibit superior dissolving capabilities.
An "average" SAE16 oil can have solvent capacities up to 1.5 times better than a chemically similar "average" SAE40 oil. Moreover, the starting temperature for dissolving forces and optimal dispersibility is much lower for SAE16 oil, often at around 85°C, while SAE40 oil requires temperatures of 115°C or higher.
In conclusion, reducing viscosity can significantly improve engine cleanliness and the performance of piston rings - both crucial factors in modern internal combustion engines.
Now, we must come to terms with a singular truth: contemporary low-viscosity oils are crafted from remarkably tenacious and non-volatile synthetic bases, rendering them impervious to the volatility that plagued thin oils of yesteryears.
Tolerances are tighter.

Clearances are the same.

Temperature control makes a big difference.

The claim that thinner = cleaner is new.

And you’ve derived that from a couple of equations? Really?

I shall refrain from repeating, once again, that concepts such as dispersions, dissolution work, or detergents exhibit improvements with a decrease in viscosity (considering the same chemical components in comparative formulations). Moreover, in practical terms, the production of oils predominantly relies on base oils with KV100 viscosities of 4 and 6, often referred to as "average synthetics". Whether we examine SAE40 or SAE20 oils, the majority are formulated using base oils with average kinematic viscosities at 100°C of 4 and 6. However, it is noteworthy that SAE20 oil requires thickening to attain a viscosity of 8, whereas SAE40 necessitates thickening to achieve a viscosity of 14. This thickening process can be accomplished (average blending maker or formulation) by incorporating polymer thickeners (it further reduces solvent capacity). Additionally, it is essential to acknowledge the supplementary "synthetic" requirement of utilizing purer (group III, IV) oils with reduced dissolving power to safeguard the stability of the CCS.
Nah…that’s not necessarily true. No “thickeners” are required to meet base viscosity at operating temperature.

Some oils do not require “thickeners” or VII.

Have they tested with air-cooled engines? Since the results will surely be amplified there?

Next time I will tell our field mechanic to fill the tractors' engines with 0W-20 (He's going to doubt my sanity, but I'll give it a go) and see if we can get away with it, in Egypt, during a hot day. I'm not sure if I'm going to lose my job, though.

Or I may provide a research paper to justify my decision. Do you have one? I'm certainly interested in a cooler air-cooled engine.

Once again, I emphasized two key factors that can be beneficial in reducing viscosity. The primary factor is the enhancement of solvent capacity and dispersion, while the secondary factor, minor, involves improved fluid layer mobility, particularly in narrow areas through self-flow, which contributes to efficient cooling.
I have no doubt these are valid points. Find F(x) for solvency, and fluidity and compare them to F(x) of MOFT in increasing engine life to see which variable is more dominant. we also need to make a regression analysis after that to confirm the correlation and dependence between the different variables and to reach a conclusion based on statistics and not a bunch of (it made my engine immortal). Until then, this debate will remain theoretical.

And you’ve derived that from a couple of equations? Really?

To provide further clarification, the equations I mentioned earlier serve as the fundamental building blocks of basic physical chemistry in relation to solvency. These equations lay the groundwork for understanding the behavior of solvents and solutes. In addition, the Hildebrand solubility theory, which I referred to in my previous statement, further expands upon these concepts. It provides insights into the solubility of substances based on their cohesive energy densities.
Moving forward, I proceeded to offer more detailed examples to illustrate the intricate relationship between viscosity and its impact on the ability of substances to dissolve, disperse, and achieve better dispersion. It is essential to note that my discussion was specifically focused on these interconnected concepts. While the initial two equations I provided serve as a starting point, they act as a gateway to explore several physico-chemical theories.
Notably, these theories include the Hildebrand solubility theory, which delves into solubility based on cohesive energy densities, as well as the Hansen solubility theory.

I have no doubt these are valid points. Find F(x) for solvency, and fluidity and compare them to F(x) of MOFT in increasing engine life to see which variable is more dominant.

"My focus thus far has been centered solely on elucidating the benefits derived from viscosity reduction. I have succinctly outlined two key advantages in this regard.
However, when considering the pursuit of heightened viscosity for enhanced protection, a nuanced perspective emerges. In the realm of hydrodynamic lubrication theory, the emphasis lies not on excessive viscosity, but rather on attaining a viscosity that is sufficient." -

I really don't think auto manufacturers are shooting for 200k longevity. I think they just want to get you out of warranty.
When I think about BiL’s 400k on a GM 5.3L/4L60e ? Well, he lived in S. Texas but worked in S. La …
We do mostly short trips - so 200k might be just as hard …
(age with factor in as well) …

Some oils do not require “thickeners” or VII.
your statement does hold a certain degree of truth. However, I would like to provide further clarification by specifying that my focus is primarily on oils found within the average PCMO market segment. I am not writing into consideration specific oils that are known for their high ester content, which is a subject of ongoing debate. Nor am I referring to specialized big gas engines oils that may not require the use of thickening agents. In the case of stationary gas engines, it is generally recommended to formulate oils with higher viscosity, while minimizing or completely avoiding the use of synthetic feeds - oils based on a viscous mineral base, such as a 600 base oil, are commonly favored in such applications. Etc..

To provide further clarification, the equations I mentioned earlier serve as the fundamental building blocks of basic physical chemistry in relation to solvency. These equations lay the groundwork for understanding the behavior of solvents and solutes. In addition, the Hildebrand solubility theory, which I referred to in my previous statement, further expands upon these concepts. It provides insights into the solubility of substances based on their cohesive energy densities.
Moving forward, I proceeded to offer more detailed examples to illustrate the intricate relationship between viscosity and its impact on the ability of substances to dissolve, disperse, and achieve better dispersion. It is essential to note that my discussion was specifically focused on these interconnected concepts. While the initial two equations I provided serve as a starting point, they act as a gateway to explore several physico-chemical theories.
Notably, these theories include the Hildebrand solubility theory, which delves into solubility based on cohesive energy densities, as well as the Hansen solubility theory.
You’re taking a PChem principle, and applying it broad spectrum, while ignoring other factors. This is a mistake.

Solubility and solvency are far more dependent on the chemical compounds in question than on their viscosity.

A thin group three base is going to have a lot less solvency than a slightly thicker ester, or aklylated napthalene.

If you ignore how various oils are formulated, ignore the wide variation in what bases and additives they use, then you’re spouting principles in a vacuum.

Which makes those principles of little relevance. And the post nothing more than self indulgent lecturing.

You’re taking a PChem principle, and applying it broad spectrum, while ignoring other factors. This is a mistake.

Solubility and solvency are far more dependent on the chemical compounds in question than on their viscosity.

A thin group three base is going to have a lot less solvency than a slightly thicker ester, or aklylated napthalene.

If you ignore how various oils are formulated, ignore the wide variation in what bases and additives they use, then you’re spouting principles in a vacuum.

Which makes those principles of little relevance. And the post nothing more than self indulgent lecturing.

It appears that there has been a misinterpretation, as you have not carefully read and understood my previous statements. Allow me to reiterate and clarify. I am specifically referring to the average market segment, where oils with viscosities such as 5W-40 or 0W-40 are commonly found for thick PCMO. These oils are typically composed of hydrocarbon oils based on highly refined and saturated base oils, and occasionally PAOs, with a limited (very limited in average) amount of esters (often they don't contain at all). This is the reality within this market segment.
In this context, such oils formulated with a base with KV100 viscosity of 6 cSt (4+6, rare - 8) are often augmented with a significant proportion of thickener, which can be a mechanically resistant polymer. The topic of shear stable polymers and their thickening abilities is indeed a separate and extensive discussion. It is worth noting that the thickening ability of low-SSI polymers is generally lower, necessitating a higher dosage for effective thickening.
These are the oils that are commonly available and presented in the average market. It is essential to understand that my previous statements were made in the context of a comparative formulations reflecting the average formulation practices within the industry. Therefore, I kindly urge you to read my statements attentively before engaging in further discussion or argumentation.

Last edited:

@ArthurArgentum "SOLUBILITY PARAMETERs​

In 1936 Joel H. Hildebrand (who laid the foundation for solubility theory in his classic work on the solubility of nonelectrolytes in 1916) proposed the square root of the cohesive energy density as a numerical value indicating the solvency behavior of a specific solvent.

equat2.gif

It was not until the third edition of his book in 1950 that the term "solubility parameter" was proposed for this value and the quantity represented by a delta (
delta-
). Subsequent authors have proposed that the term hildebrands be adopted for solubility parameter units, in order to recognize the tremendous contribution that Dr. Hildebrand has made to solubility theory...."

Where do you see viscosity in the Hildebrands formula? The only consistency in your arguments is that viscosity alone determines solubility. This is not true because other factors such as:

Weak hydrogen bonding liquids (such as hydrocarbons, chlorinated hydrocarbons, and nitrohydrocarbons),

Moderate hydrogen bonding liquids (such as ketones, esters, ethers, and glycol monoethers),

and Strong hydrogen bonding liquids (such as alcohols, amines, acids, amides, and aldehydes) and

dispersion and diffusion enter into the effects of solubility.

The Hildebrand formula had numerous problems with various solvent discrepancies so the Hansen formula was introduced to improve the solubility indices and for more than 50 years Hansen Solubility Parameters (HSP), have proven to be a powerful, practical way to understand issues of solubility.

Last edited:

@ArthurArgentum "SOLUBILITY PARAMETERs​

In 1936 Joel H. Hildebrand (who laid the foundation for solubility theory in his classic work on the solubility of nonelectrolytes in 1916) proposed the square root of the cohesive energy density as a numerical value indicating the solvency behavior of a specific solvent.

equat2.gif

It was not until the third edition of his book in 1950 that the term "solubility parameter" was proposed for this value and the quantity represented by a delta (
delta-
). Subsequent authors have proposed that the term hildebrands be adopted for solubility parameter units, in order to recognize the tremendous contribution that Dr. Hildebrand has made to solubility theory...."

Where do you see viscosity in the Hildebrands formula?

The Hildebrand formula had numerous problems with various solvent discrepancies so the Hansen formula was introduced to improve the solubility indices and for more than 50 years Hansen Solubility Parameters, HSP, have proven to be a powerful, practical way to understand issues of solubility, dispersion, diffusion, chromatography and more.

To clarify, I did not state that Hildebrand's theory directly incorporates viscosity. I understand that you are seeking a more nuanced explanation.
Regarding the dissolution rate, a direct correlation with viscosity can be established by combining the equations put forth by [Stokes - Einstein] and [Nernst - Brunner]. Through this comparison, the influence of viscosity on dissolving rate becomes evident. If you are interested, you may explore these equations further.
However, it is important to note that the solubility theories of Hildebrand and Hansen, which I mentioned later, encompass more intricate concepts. These theories provide a comprehensive framework for understanding solubility, and when considering factors like aniline point, they align well with the formulas. It is worth mentioning that relying solely on standards such as D611 and D1133 is insufficient for a comprehensive evaluation, as they represent only a fraction of the entire system.

Boris.jpg

In the broader context, I have provided ample examples, including the images I shared, demonstrating how viscosity affects e.g. aniline points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back