Are there any "trade secrets" in oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the media in a oil filter just made in bulk by a supplier per their specs., at the lowest bidding, or is the oil filter media made specifically to Wix/Champ/Fram specifications?

Is the filter media a patented trade secret(Such as Mobil 1 EP media which is a blend, say can Fram purchase the same blend if they wanted?) or is it just sub contracted out to some pulp and glue factory?

Who holds the patents to the filter medium?

Last edited:
Who will know this answer except people that work there and will they or could they be honest answering it and if so how do you know they are telling the truth?

I do know I've seen posts showing Fram buys media from someone else if that helps, they don't make it themselves. Iirc Donaldson produces the microglass media

I suspect oil filters share a lot of DNA. Just like we know for certain that various brands on the shelf come from far fewer manufacturers, I suspect so do the component parts. Like you are guessing, I bet there are a few big suppliers of filter media and probably some big Chinese competitors too. Same thing for silicone ADBV valves or at least the materials they are cut from. There is no huge incentive for the industry to build something different that stands out technically since the average person has their oil changed for them and only looks at the final bill, therefore encouraging the shops, the Jiffy Lubes, and even the car dealers to look for the cheapest possible alternative that won't leak oil. Nobody will ever know!

Let me answer your questions
he media in a oil filter just made in bulk by a supplier per their specs.,
FRAM works with a high end media supplier to develop patented media blends. Media development is an exact science both in fibers used and geometry of those fibers.

at the lowest bidding,
Lowest bidding-not with FRAM. Media is all that separates good filters from average filters
or is the oil filter media made specifically to Wix/Champ/Fram specifications?
We use many different types of media depending on the price point and expected performance of the filter. We make filters for 6 OE's and over 30 brands in the aftermarket there are different blends depending on expected performance.

Is the filter media a patented trade secret(Such as Mobil 1 EP media which is a blend, say can Fram purchase the same blend if they wanted?)
Many blends are patented. Many are not but still not used by all due to cost.
or is it just sub contracted out to some pulp and glue factory?
This is kind of insulting to the media industry, far more science to filter media (at least in premium filters) that "pulp and glue".
Who holds the patents to the filter medium?On some blends we hold the patents, others the filter media company holds them.

Microglass is a industry word, like tissue. All synthetic microglass media is not the same and depending on the size, shape, diameter and geometry of the glass fibers have vastly differing performance. Some synthetic glass filters are super high efficiency, others have really poor efficiency, all do have excellent capacity.

I will say even the lowest price fram filter seems to have strong media... Im not talking anything scientific im talking just a pull test fram seems to be tough to pull apart compared to some others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back