Are scrap prices really this low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish i could say that waste paper prices were low. I work in the paper industry that uses waste paper to make recycled products like paper towels, napkins. Prices are thru the roof for waste paper. Chinese have bought the companies in US that sell waste paper and sending the good stuff to China to be made into paper. By the way, waste paper is much cheaper than virgin pulp used in the papermaking process.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
And what do they send us Jim???

That I know. Their metal and plastics are pure junk.
When they started dumping off materials on us, machining became a new science.
I always pay up to avoid that junk!

I just got 1.85 for brass hair wire (wire edm scrap)

Steel is usually .10-.12 but its nice clean tool steel(s).

I usually make 1-2 trip yearly for the steel just because what use is it laying around tripping over it.
a couple barrels makes it easier so they can unload it with the tow motor.

Originally Posted by jasonal
I wish i could say that waste paper prices were low. I work in the paper industry that uses waste paper to make recycled products like paper towels, napkins. Prices are thru the roof for waste paper. Chinese have bought the companies in US that sell waste paper and sending the good stuff to China to be made into paper. By the way, waste paper is much cheaper than virgin pulp used in the papermaking process.

My company ships out cardboard every day...most of it seems bound for China.

Originally Posted by Zee09
I don't know if it is true but i told my buddy about this thread.
He said China cut our scrap off because it was dirty and unsorted unlike other countries.
I'm sure we sent them a bunch of crap.

We need to pay some prisoners 15 cents an hour to strip compressors then. Good honest work.

He said China cut our scrap off because it was dirty and unsorted unlike other countries.

That is true, and it appears to be sending ripples thru the waste mgmt stream in the US.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/latest-news/article213532024.html

It applies to plastics, paper, metal etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino

We need to pay some prisoners 15 cents an hour to strip compressors then. Good honest work.

You could pay state inmates fifty cents an hour to do this sort of work and in most states you'd have a line of guys and gals doing felony time to get the work.
Problem being that you can make all sorts of weapons out of metal and maybe even fab a fence breaching tool, so you'd have to be careful in selecting workers and in strip searching them when they exit the work area.
I do know of a state prison that pays only 6K each years in trash hauling expense. They use inmates paid to source separate every bit of trash and reclaim the recyclables. They also compost food waste, which is the largest source of garbage in any prison.

I work at a copper mill. We pour our own copper from scrap copper and we also use copper cathode in the mix to bring up the quality. My mill isn't a big mill but we pour around 285000 pounds a week and that would be about 60% from scrap. Every week we have to reject about 12000 pounds from the crap that the scrap dealers sneak into their loads. We have had weeks were we have to reject 50000 pounds. The biggest problem we have is aluminum. Aluminum weighs a lot less then copper and every pound they can sneak in they make good money on it.

Originally Posted by Scrum67
Every week we have to reject about 12000 pounds from the crap that the scrap dealers sneak into their loads. The biggest problem we have is aluminum. Aluminum weighs a lot less then copper and every pound they can sneak in they make good money on it.

Crooked Bass terds!

You received similar pricing to what is seen around here. So no, you didn't get taken for less that you should have, just a lot less than the market had been paying in the past.

Lots of upheaval in the recycling markets right now. China is a big reason - between deciding to raise their purity standards and just cutting off other markets, a lot of things are in flux. And China didn't just decide to do this, think bigger picture...I won't say it at the risk of becoming political...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back