Are scrap prices really this low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or did I take it in the shorts? I have been saving up old brake rotors,ac compressors etc at work. Took in 2700 lbs of stuff this morning and only got paid $132! Out of that $132 I had to split it 3 ways,plus my gas,my 4 hrs etc. Seems low to me. Not even worth doing.

IMG_20181007_113631.jpg

Scrap is extremely low. My place wouldn't even take 3 subframes I had: "steel is too low right now".

We've been saving every O2 sensor, cat, and radiator we can. That's where the money is. There's nothing in dirty aluminum or steel.

Yep, worldwide scrap prices are way low, not worth the effort. Some places here in Hawaii you have to pay the recyclers to take stuff. I took an old rusted 0 gallon air compressor tank , cut it up and threw it in the trash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Scrap is extremely low. My place wouldn't even take 3 subframes I had: "steel is too low right now".

We've been saving every O2 sensor, cat, and radiator we can. That's where the money is. There's nothing in dirty aluminum or steel.

We cant scrap cats in California. Illegal as they are trying to cut down on cat theft.

I've never sold scrap but what is the "Delay Pay" portion? Something to make sure it isn't stolen metals or something?

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Another thing is cat converters but it depends if it has platinum. Price is high for the platinum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rick505
I've never sold scrap but what is the "Delay Pay" portion? Something to make sure it isn't stolen metals or something?

Ya I don't get paid for 3 days

I quit. I give metal away for free hauling.
Isn't this blamed on the eroding Chinese economy????

Time to build my steel house. Several years ago pricing was horrific!

They made me weigh the truck. Drive over to a pile and unload the steel. Then drive back on the scale to weigh,then unload the compressors etc. Real pain in the rump. My first visit to the scale was 10980lbs.

I'm not positive, but it seems like the prices they paid you are higher than what my local scrappers are paying. Meanwhile, my scrap pile grows. Sometimes, I just have to take it in and just get what I get to clean the place up a little.

About 8 years ago working in riverside ca. Took some scrap copper in got paid 1/3 the price of saint louis, missouri. Called other scrap yards around riverside they were within pennies per pound. Never seen a srap yard with delay pay , they cut a check over a few hundred or cash.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
About 8 years ago working in riverside ca. Took some scrap copper in got paid 1/3 the price of saint louis, missouri. Called other scrap yards around riverside they were within pennies per pound. Never seen a srap yard with delay pay , they cut a check over a few hundred or cash.

Delay pay is state law.

After doing the math I made $3.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Maybe the low prices are to deter all the crackheads from stealing and selling copper, steel, lead , aluminum, etc... ?

Nah it's the global economy. When times are good people put money in stocks. Bad times= commodities.

I take our scrap from work to local metal place even aluminum wheels. You obviously didnt clean anything hence the low scrap price. Cans i dry out and crush.

Last time i went i got like $400~

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I take our scrap from work to local metal place even aluminum wheels. You obviously didnt clean anything hence the low scrap price. Cans i dry out and crush.

Last time i went i got like $400~

Dirty aluminium means it has other metals in it like nuts and bolts,pistons etc. It would take days to strip and disassemble every compressor and to cut every water pump apart to separate the different metals.

I don't know if it is true but i told my buddy about this thread.
He said China cut our scrap off because it was dirty and unsorted unlike other countries.
I'm sure we sent them a bunch of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back