are Saturn's reliable or whats up with them? everyone seems to hate

You'll have to go by each individual example, each specific car that you find. If you can get one that was maintained and not a pile of rust and in good mechanical and decent cosmetic condition, it's worth considering.

Out of those, I'd pick the Focus, especially if it's a hatchback or wagon. But again, it's about each example. The Focus had a few different engines available in 2004: the SPI, the Zetec, and the Mazda 2.3 that Ford refers to as "Duratec." In 2005, Ford replaced the SPI and Zetec with a 2.0L version of the Mazda motor.

Out of the Chryslers, I'd go Caliber, then 4-cylinder Sebring, then Intrepid, than V6 Sebring. I'm not a fan of transverse V6 due to being hard to workj on, but the Intrepid actually has a longitudinal V6, so it should be easier to work on.

wow thanks so much that makes it easier to choose between the cars. the thing is in my city and all the ones in his price range, the condition is very similar. like the ones that are bad condition are all just not running or have mechanical issues.

so it seems like its a good idea to give the impala, calibers, and ford focus priority over the other cars as long as the cosmetics are comparable.

sorry i wanted to add a few more cars that i found with around 150k-180k km in the price range
2005 ish chrysler intrepid
2005 ish chryslyer sebring
2004 ish ford focus
2006 ish dodge caliber

any thoughts on these?
I’d avoid the Intrepid and Sebring... Both my parents and I had good luck with our Calibers, my parents had over 155k miles on their 2007 2.0+CVT model when they finally let it go. Only issue they had was the front subframe rusted out, $700 fix after 11 years in the salt belt, but no rust anywhere else. They never changed the CVT fluid in it either. Mine had almost 100k when I sold it to my BiL, he kept it to 130k before trading it for a truck. I did give it an oxygen sensor, rear shocks and lower control arms on it at 95k otherwise it never gave me issues.

My opinion is that it won’t matter much. At their price point of 2000 or under you will be lucky to find anything with those amount of miles let alone be in proper shape. It’s a big gamble.

Is a 2-door OK? Because I found this Echo. It says "mechanic special hail" but it's unclear if it's just hail damage or if there are other problems. If it's just the hail, then it's a good deal. If hail storms occur on a regular basis, it will happen to any car you get.

Is a 2-door OK? Because I found this Echo. It says "mechanic special hail" but it's unclear if it's just hail damage or if there are other problems. If it's just the hail, then it's a good deal. If hail storms occur on a regular basis, it will happen to any car you get.

hail damage is fine except we are from a smaller city and have scoured kijiji and fb marketplace, however theres always cars that pop up daily for a good deal so i want to be prepared on whcih we are going to jump on!!

My opinion is that it won’t matter much. At their price point of 2000 or under you will be lucky to find anything with those amount of miles let alone be in proper shape. It’s a big gamble.

our plan is to find a car for $2500 and lower them to $2000, otherwise the budget is around $2000 and it seems like theres a ton of cars around 150,000 km to 180,000 km in good outside condition,
however after all you guys proviidng so much help!
we are probably going to pickup one of the following
impala
focus
caliber

theres a bunch of these all in good shape will drive all and pick the best unless a diff car ccomes!!

the other day there was a 2008 nissan sentra good coniditon and driven by student with 180k km for $2300 sold that same day, should have jumped on that

sorry i wanted to add a few more cars that i found with around 150k-180k km in the price range
2004 ish ford focus
2006 ish dodge caliber

any thoughts on these?
The focus.

hail damage is fine except we are from a smaller city and have scoured kijiji and fb marketplace, however theres always cars that pop up daily for a good deal so i want to be prepared on whcih we are going to jump on!!

How far away are you from the nearest big city/metro area? And are you able/willing to go there to buy a car? And yes, cars pop in and out all the time, and like you mentioned, some even sell the same day. At least a dealer would take appointments, so they won't sell it to someone else before you get there.

How far away are you from the nearest big city/metro area? And are you able/willing to go there to buy a car? And yes, cars pop in and out all the time, and like you mentioned, some even sell the same day. At least a dealer would take appointments, so they won't sell it to someone else before you get there.
about 3 hours, we are going to make a decision in the next week thats when the snow will calm down, and we are gonna look hard for 2 days in a row and whatever car we are good with that we test drive we are gonna take!!

sadly we dont want to go soemwhere else just because of the hassle if the car doesnt work out!!

i think in my city we have enough options and i am sure we will find something good. its all about checking every few hours and being ready to go for a test drive!!

I have a few Saturms and have had good luck with them. 200K+ on a SL2 and others never had a major breakdown. Currently have a SC2 but it is low mileage(88K) so I can not say its a long haul vehicle at this point.

2004 ish ford focus
2006 ish dodge caliber

any thoughts on these?

They're all junk except the focus.

Saturn S-series was the only "Real" saturn. I had a bunch, they were great. The automatics aren't that awful, either.

Saturns were always weird to me.

As to "Are they a good car..." kind of. Knew some people that had either SL2s or L200s. Liked them, but said there was always something going on with them.

I would choose something else, if I had a choice.

I remember a 1998 Saturn sl1 automatic we serviced regularly going 455,000kms (280k miles) with nothing but a water pump, fluids, brakes and tires and a horn. Also saw a manual with 530,000kms (330k miles) with original engine and clutch.

I remember a 1998 Saturn sl1 automatic we serviced regularly going 455,000kms (280k miles) with nothing but a water pump, fluids, brakes and tires and a horn. Also saw a manual with 530,000kms (330k miles) with original engine and clutch.

One of my classmates in college had that car. He loved it.

I miss my youth.

My neon has 114,000 miles (183,000 km) and it has developed the notorious rough idle when warm, and has an exhaust leak from the rear of the engine as well. It needs rear struts but i just had the fluid and filter replaced. So far it's been decent transportation but not sure If I can get 246,000 like I did from the geo prizm I owned.

Take the 3.4 Liter Impala off the list. When the miles get up there with them they are unbelievable money pits. Especially in areas where there is a lot of salt used in the winters (read that as parking break cables, gas lines, and brake lines) that will cost way more than you think they should to get fixed. And the EGR and EVAP system problems and intermittent wire connections, bad ignition coils, bad harmonic balancer / drive pulley, alternator, windshield leaks, and several other things. They really do become money pits with the high miles.

sounds good so a ford focus should be a priority then eh? theres a few between 2001-2005 in the city with around 150-180k km in good shape

Back