Are hot/sweet peppers good for you?

This is what I have learned from the Chinese based culture (yours may hold a different opinion):

1) Based on the "Ying and yang" or "warm vs cool" theory, which is sort of a way your diet regulates the hormone or other things in your body that control your metabolism. Hot food like ginger, chili pepper, ginseng, cinnamon, hard liquor, etc makes you warmer and sweat. If you are cold in the winter, eating these kinds of food will keep your body warmer, but in the summer you likely will not feel too well.

2) In some areas of the world there's very high humidity, and spicy food helps you sweat more and keeps you healthy (sweat is a way your body gets rid of waste just like urination). Sweating also helps your body feel better as it promotes cooling, something like that. Hot food also increase your appetite when you get none in a hot humid weather.

3) I was told (not sure if true) that spicy food is a way to mask odor in some food to make them taste better when not fresh, and it also kills some germs. This may be just an urban legend.

Personally, I think we no longer need spicy food for health benefits these days, but if you enjoy it and if spicy food tastes good where you are or the kind of food tastes good with pepper, just eat it.

Last edited:
I certainly hope so.
I put Banana Peppers in my garden and put them up yearly.
Had 12 1/2 gallon jars this year, put them in what would be best described as a slightly sweet brine.

They are high in some vitamins, and potassium, etc.

Unfortunately, the last study I read on Google News says they contribute to Alzhiemers.
That study was published in 2019. I'm suspicious of it because it's based only on studies in China and might not account for differences in lifestyle and diet. This isn't to knock China or the Chinese, but it can be hard to extrapolate from one culture to all the rest of humanity.

This isn't to knock China or the Chinese, but it can be hard to extrapolate from one culture to all the rest of humanity.

I don't think that article that I read made that very clear, at least I didn't see it mentioned at the time. But after all, it is the internet, and I've yet to see a date put on articles that show up as recent.
I can tell you this much for a fact. Those little chinese peppers they use in General Tso's Chicken CURED me from sinus issues I was having in my working years in the oil industry.
They were exceptionally good at making my face hot and my nose run, not like other peppers that just make your mouth and throat burn.
We had a Chinese resturaunt in Clairton PA that actually made their own stuff from scratch, you know, real brocolli, real ginger, real EVERYTHING.
Not like this crap you get at "Happy Life" resturaunt or whatever they want to call them today.

I don't think that article that I read made that very clear, at least I didn't see it mentioned at the time. But after all, it is the internet, and I've yet to see a date put on articles that show up as recent.
I can tell you this much for a fact. Those little chinese peppers they use in General Tso's Chicken CURED me from sinus issues I was having in my working years in the oil industry.
They were exceptionally good at making my face hot and my nose run, not like other peppers that just make your mouth and throat burn.
We had a Chinese resturaunt in Clairton PA that actually made their own stuff from scratch, you know, real brocolli, real ginger, real EVERYTHING.
Not like this crap you get at "Happy Life" resturaunt or whatever they want to call them today.

Almost every restaurant does that. The difficulty may be in getting the most "authentic" ingredients. There days it's a lot easier to get almost anything dry sent by Amazon or various foodservice companies. Fresh produce or meat/fish are another matter. But floret broccoli is easy to get. Getting gai lan may be another matter. Fresh fish is a big thing in Chinese cuisine, and they certainly adapt to available ingredients such as largemouth bass or southern catfish.

The kind of Chinese peppers used in a lot of cooking are dried, imported ones. Good luck trying to figure out exactly what variety they are. Most packages just say "red chili" or something like that.

o2SHlDwUQ4-yDOlMVGS7Zw-square.jpg

There's a Chinese restaurant near me that has this menu item called "thousand chili fish soup". It's really a fish fillet soup, but it starts with a layer of dried chilis on top that gets scooped off before being served. It's strangely enough without a whole lot of chili heat.

o.jpg

By the way, the only difference between red, yellow, and red bell peppers is their state of ripeness. The red ones are fully ripe and contain the most micro nutrients.
Every time I have tried growing a yellow sweet pepper plant they go from green to red. I know they are suppose to turn yellow before they turn red but I have never had that happen so I stopped trying. By the time they turn red they are not very good and I don't like green sweet peppers. Not sure what I am doing unless the plants I have bought are not really yellow.

Every time I have tried growing a yellow sweet pepper plant they go from green to red. I know they are suppose to turn yellow before they turn red but I have never had that happen so I stopped trying. By the time they turn red they are not very good and I don't like green sweet peppers. Not sure what I am doing unless the plants I have bought are not really yellow.
I've never grown bell peppers and I can't help you. But I see green peppers that are partially yellow or orange all the time

There's alot of old wives tales with foods. My grandfather loved spicy (to an extent). He lived to be almost 93. Yet my grandmother said he mom always said to put butter on burns as it would help. We now know thats absolutely false but I digress.

You need yellow bell peppers green won’t go to yellow green will only go to red.

Last edited:
There's alot of old wives tales with foods. My grandfather loved spicy (to an extent). He lived to be almost 93. Yet my grandmother said he mom always said to put butter on burns as it would help. We now know thats absolutely false but I digress.
Tastes better with butter if you lick your wounds! :ROFLMAO:

You need yellow bell peppers green won’t go to yellow green will only go to red.

Most bell peppers are green before ripening. Like this orange bell pepper with a little green left. And yellow varieties usually start as green.

af-orange-sweet-bell-pepper.jpg

Even white bell peppers start off as greenish.

Once the plants are established, your fruits will grow to a size of roughly 4 to 5 inches. They ripen from a green-yellow to white, meaning that they are ready for picking.​

Most bell peppers are green before ripening. Like this orange bell pepper with a little green left. And yellow varieties usually start as green.

af-orange-sweet-bell-pepper.jpg

Even white bell peppers start off as greenish.

Once the plants are established, your fruits will grow to a size of roughly 4 to 5 inches. They ripen from a green-yellow to white, meaning that they are ready for picking.​
Now on my statement I was going by the 45 year in house expert I will ask more about but was pretty sure you need yellow seed packet. I found this in meantime for a quick read I guess I’m not sure myself with all information out there.
https://www.insider.com/are-all-peppers-the-same-plant-2018-9

I've never grown bell peppers and I can't help you. But I see green peppers that are partially yellow or orange all the time
Absolutely, even in the grocery store I see this.
This was my understanding from what I was told by a local nursery. When I bought them they had those little markers that said yellow bell pepper. I may try from seed next year and see what happens vs buying an established plant.

@y_p_w I was told the same that all sweet peppers start out green when I purchased the yellow pepper plants.

Now on my statement I was going by the 45 year in house expert I will ask more about but was pretty sure you need yellow seed packet. I found this in meantime for a quick read I guess I’m not sure myself with all information out there.
https://www.insider.com/are-all-peppers-the-same-plant-2018-9
If you find out more info it would be greatly appreciate. Yellow bells are my fav, I eat at least 3 a week.

This is what I have learned from the Chinese based culture (yours may hold a different opinion):

1) Based on the "Ying and yang" or "warm vs cool" theory, which is sort of a way your diet regulates the hormone or other things in your body that control your metabolism. Hot food like ginger, chili pepper, ginseng, cinnamon, hard liquor, etc makes you warmer and sweat. If you are cold in the winter, eating these kinds of food will keep your body warmer, but in the summer you likely will not feel too well.

2) In some areas of the world there's very high humidity, and spicy food helps you sweat more and keeps you healthy (sweat is a way your body gets rid of waste just like urination). Sweating also helps your body feel better as it promotes cooling, something like that. Hot food also increase your appetite when you get none in a hot humid weather.

3) I was told (not sure if true) that spicy food is a way to mask odor in some food to make them taste better when not fresh, and it also kills some germs. This may be just an urban legend.

Personally, I think we no longer need spicy food for health benefits these days, but if you enjoy it and if spicy food tastes good where you are or the kind of food tastes good with pepper, just eat it.

I don't know about the hot and cold things. I mean - some Chinese friends/visitors still ask for hot water on a hot day. I keep on hearing claims that hot water helps with digestion, even though the body self-regulates internal temperatures unless there's hypothermia or hyperthermia. The talk about ice water congealing fats is just silly because that doesn't happen in the body. Also - I don't think that's really a Chinese tradition per se but more of a tradition of boiling water to make it safe to drink. They don't have any such tradition in Taiwan, even before they had sanitary municipal water. Most homes would have boiled water that was then cooled or even used to make ice.

There have been studies that suggest that the heavy consumption of hot water has led to various cancers of the mouth and esophagus.

The big thing was that it made bland foods more interesting, and at a much cheaper price than traditional spices.

Certain Asian cultures claim they are terrible for your digestive tract and can contribute to skin issues. It is probably an old wives tale, but who knows.
And stomach cancer.

Back