Are Exide Batteries any good?

I have owned lots of Exides for my riding mowers. Those only last 2-3 yrs. The ones in the camper seem to last very well. Haven't replaced any of them Rural King rocks!!!

Johnson Controls sold their battery business to a private equity company called Brookfield Business Partners. Think Berkshire Hathaway on a smaller scale. The buyer renamed the division as Clarios.
Whatever. The net is you will see Clarios on batteries that use to say JCI on the label. Thats if there is a label saying who actually made the battery.

Every one I had gave me nothing but trouble
You don't see them much these days
Mainly (only IME) at Home Depot
And don't start me on their environmental record

They provide batteries a ton of house brands and non-manufacturing battery marketers. Interstate buys from Exide.

But yes - their battery recycling plant near LA was a disaster.

Exide has supplied BMW NA replacement batteries for a long time. Prior to that, it was Douglas, but it offloaded its automotive business to East Penn, before eventually going bankrupt. I'm not sure of the whys and hows of the post-Douglas switch, but all of that occurred a decade and more ago.

Just pick one with the brand/warranty you like from the OEM you like. BMW battery bays can sometimes also accommodate more than one size, so there is also the option of going bigger or smaller. Also keep in mind that the application guides aren't always accurate, or complete.

East Penn is the favorite here, but I've had no problems with JCI/Clarios batteries in the "Euro" sizes (H6/48, etc.)

If I had to buy one tomorrow, I'd probably head to Costco. $115 Clarios with Interstate sticker H6, 3-year no hassle warranty. Everyone else would be $150 or more. A BMW dealer battery would be $300+ list, though that includes labor and registration.

I mean, if it goes bad before the 3 years I can always replace it for free. The Exide H7 is $110 compared to $170 for an H7 Die Hard battery, $150 for an H7 interstate battery, $150 for an Everstart H7 (Walmart), and $170 for a Duralast gold battery.

All of them come with a 3-year free replacement
are you downtown or something?

the walmart made in germany h7s and h8s and like 120 anywhere outside of the city

Short answer, NO.
every exide I've owned has leaked at the posts and ruined terminals and some damaged the cables too.

might consider a cheap one in my tractor just because its easy to change terminals and I have the hood up to check the oil before I mow everytime so I would see it starting.

It's been 16+ years since i owned a group 27 Exide Nautilus marine/dual purpose battery.

While it did not have issues with corrosion, at the connectors, it had issues spewing electrolyte from the caps at voltages in the 14's, even when not overfilled.

Mine was not the only Exide Nautilus of this vintage to suffer this issue.

Towards the end of its useful life,, I noticed it still seemed to be maintaining more actual capacity than I would have expected considering the abuse it suffered to that point.

In retrospect I believe the electrolyte spewing was related to a lower gassing voltage than other flooded marine battery brands, and it retained its capacity longer than expected, as it was actually getting to a higher state of charge every time the alternator's voltage regulator chose one of its two goto voltages, 13.7 or 14.9v.

The acid spewing nature of the Exide Nautilus ruled them out from future consideration, but When I traded it in for a core charge it was still a viable battery in terms of engine starting and powering lesser loads for longer as well.

I had 8 years of good service from an Exide AGM battery

Exide is now just a brand name, and the battery manufacturer is Stryten.

Exide’s Tim Vargo was appointed CEO of Stryten Manufacturing, alongside Mike Judd, also formerly with Exide, as president and chief operating officer.

Stryten will also operate the GNB Industrial Power business, which runs supply chains for motive power batteries for forklift and materials handling manufacturers and railway firms, and provides UPS and back-up energy storage for telecommunications and utilities.

No mention was made of the non-performing sites that were owned by Exide before the sale to Atlas Holdings, nor what will happen to the Vernon recycling site, which was largely to blame for the company’s three Chapter 11 bankruptcy filings.

Exide had its beginnings in 1888, as the Electric Storage Battery Co.

Last edited:
WM sells AGM and their prices are much much better than auto supply stores. I don't know who makes it but WM warranty on batteries are good.

Last edited:
I hope Exide are ok. Just put an Exide Platinum on my Diesel Jeep. Battery is 'made in Europe' fwiw.
I wanted the 100AH and 900 CCA that the Battery offered. It has a 4 year warranty. Time will tell i suppose.

Back