Are Exide Batteries any good?

That's definitely enough of a savings to try one in my opinion. Had the prices been closer the Interstate would have been my pick. That's what I prefer brand wise.
I can't apply a coupon on the Diehard nor Duralast. All I get is an $18 core return.

Either way, the batteries are still more than the Exide.

My only experience with Exide batteries was with one I bought as a blem from an Exide distributor. It was an AGM and it was legendary. That battery went through more grief than you can imagine. I first put it in an old Porsche 914 and ran it for years. The Porsche and the battery were flooded with salt water during Hurricane Ivan in 2004. I then lent it to a friend who needed a battery for his Buick LeSabre. He ran it a couple of years until his Buick was totaled and he gave the battery back to me. I then used it as the cranking battery for the 90 HP Yamaha in my boat for several more years. That battery lasted about 12 years all the while being subject to being flooded in a storm surge, swapped around, being in a bad wreck, then pounded while riding in my boat. It could sit for months and still hold a charge. And it was sold as a blem! The best battery I've ever had.

I’m looking for a battery for my BMW. Home Depot carries Exide batteries that are going for $110 without the core charge (not sure if Home Depot does core chargers).

Haven’t heard of a lot of ppl Sikh Exide battles. Usually, it’s duralast, diehard, or Walmart batteries.
***? How did I type "Sikh"? Might've been on some ****.

I meant to say, "I haven't heard of alot of people using Exide batteries".

I've purchased Exide batteries a handful of times and they work. But that's about all the good I can say about them. I buy them because Rural King sells Exide batteries with a 2 year warranty for $69, sometimes less. I've gotten at least two years out of them, but it's a roll of the dice whether you'll make it to year 3, most don't.

Why do I keep buying them then? Because they're cheap and easy to replace. I'd never pay $100 for one. Everstart Maxx batteries (Johnson Controls, when I've bought them) have always lasted to the 5 year mark and beyond, so they're probably the better value in the grand scheme of things.

My only experience with Exide batteries was with one I bought as a blem from an Exide distributor. It was an AGM and it was legendary. That battery went through more grief than you can imagine. I first put it in an old Porsche 914 and ran it for years. The Porsche and the battery were flooded with salt water during Hurricane Ivan in 2004. I then lent it to a friend who needed a battery for his Buick LeSabre. He ran it a couple of years until his Buick was totaled and he gave the battery back to me. I then used it as the cranking battery for the 90 HP Yamaha in my boat for several more years. That battery lasted about 12 years all the while being subject to being flooded in a storm surge, swapped around, being in a bad wreck, then pounded while riding in my boat. It could sit for months and still hold a charge. And it was sold as a blem! The best battery I've ever had.
Was it an Orbital? Is so those were great. Made for Exide in Spain. Not actually made by exide. Mine also took tons of abuse. But it died with zero warning too.

Johnson Controls spun off their battery business. It’s now Clarios.

So it’s still good battery ? So same with Nissan battery . Autozone and Oreilly too ? Now is clarios

Was it an Orbital? Is so those were great. Made for Exide in Spain. Not actually made by exide. Mine also took tons of abuse. But it died with zero warning too.
Yes, it was an Orbital. I didn't realize it was made in Spain. I would love to find another one. I can't say mine died with zero warning, but even if it did I would have had no complaints after 12 years of abuse.

I don't get excided about Excide batteries. That said, in the past they did okay with a +5-year service life in several of my vehicles.

I would not get an Exide battery just because I could save $10 or $20. There are better made batteries. East Penn for one. Walmarts near me sell the WM brand batteries made by East Penn. So does NAPA.

Johnson Controls sold to Clarios. JCI made good batteries. But no personal experience with Clarios batteries after the sale.

I've bought a few Exide batteries at Rural King. I can usually buy one to fit my vehicles for about $55. They don't usually last as well as other brands for me but even if it doesn't last but 3 years of the 5 year pro rated warranty I've got 3 years service for $33. Two my cars and my mom's car and lawn mower currently have Rural King batteries that I bought last year. I got tired of having to replace the lawn and garden battery in my mom's lawn mower every year so I went to Rural King and bought an automotive battery for it. The automotive battery really spins over that 15.5HP mower. Lawn and garden batteries were costing $20-30 per year so I bought an automotive battery with 1 year free replacement/5 year pro rated warranty for $55.

about a month ago I was looking for a battery . Dint see Johnson name any where . I though they don’t include the name . Never knew they sold out the company .

Odyssey batteries are my choice for long term keeper vehicles and my standby generator. If they don't make the size I need then it's EP batteries for sure. I spend the extra for AGM ones only also. Less dead batteries and less aggravation are worth a few more bucks IMO.
I have regularly gotten 10+ years out of Yuasa AGM's in my snowmobiles also so no bad words about them from me in powersport applications.
About 12 yrs ago I went through 2 Duracrap batteries and one DieFast in the course of 2 years in a Sable due to internal connector failures inside the battery. You could smack the battery or even slam the hood and watch the headlights come back on and start the car like nothing happened.
Carry into the store and load tests where fine.
First few times it happened I was looking overhead for UFO's LOL.

The rural king Exide in my truck is from January 2012 and still works fine and the battery tester said it is plenty strong but i have to top it off with distilled water every few months and it doesn't leak or corrode the terminals.

I would not get an Exide battery just because I could save $10 or $20. There are better made batteries. East Penn for one. Walmarts near me sell the WM brand batteries made by East Penn. So does NAPA.

Johnson Controls sold to Clarios. JCI made good batteries. But no personal experience with Clarios batteries after the sale.

Johnson Controls sold their battery business to a private equity company called Brookfield Business Partners. Think Berkshire Hathaway on a smaller scale. The buyer renamed the division as Clarios.

Back