Are engines outlasting the rest of the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So dont use syn when you get it for 1-3$/qt on sale.. I should use 89cent shell?

Quote:

Old cars don't nickle and dime you to death, they hour and day you to death with the inconvenience of more frequent repairs and the subsequent loss of use of the vehicle.

This is usually the killer. It's not everyone who will actually rent a car for a week so that they can get their 18 year old car serviced/repaired. It all depends on what else you're putting up with in keeping it. Most people buy their cars loaded with appointments (sometimes not out of choice =that's what's on the lot) and many of those luxuries don't hold up under the test of time. So you live with a lame this ..a lame that ..and when the (estimated) $1200 bill stares you in the eye ..you usually blink and fold.

I buy used cars at least 2 years old and insist on seeing a maintenance log with timely OC and other maintenance and repairs noted. I appreciate when the previous owner used synthetics!

Quote:

This is usually the killer. It's not everyone who will actually rent a car for a week so that they can get their 18 year old car serviced/repaired.

Keeping two cars works great for this. One to tinker with and one to drive
wink.gif

In my case, I go through 2 or 3, maybe even 4 engines before I sell, crash or junk my cars. However they are all high boost, turbocharged monsters. Probably twice as many transmissions too.

Chris

Quote:

Quote:

This is usually the killer. It's not everyone who will actually rent a car for a week so that they can get their 18 year old car serviced/repaired.

Keeping two cars works great for this. One to tinker with and one to drive
wink.gif

That's why I put the engine in the minivan. It took awhile ..but it could sit ...but we sure missed it when it was down. Have you tried getting a week's worth of groceries in a Wrangler?
frown.gif

Quote:

In my case, I go through 2 or 3, maybe even 4 engines before I sell, crash or junk my cars. However they are all high boost, turbocharged monsters. Probably twice as many transmissions too.

Chris

Hey, pal. Most of us practice some form of "trickle down" economics with our wallets ...but not too many of us use the theory like a fire hose.
grin.gif

Well, my engine, tranny, AND clutch outlasted my front leather seats...so I found a pair off ebay for a good price and my interior looks new again. '93 w/ 211k miles now, and I plan on going a couple more years before I get a "new" car.

My car is rusting and I'm trying to deal with it soon. I have no choice for now but to do so. Two years from now I hope to be back to a ford.

Lots of good stuff here.

Basically look at economics of oil changes, maintenance cost, and resale value. Of the 100+ changes I have done only 4 that rated enough to use Synthetic. I'm not a big believer in extended OCI and I usually run vehicles until ~150K. One of mine is 175K now, a friend of mine has one from me at 188K.

But I did finally switch on a 2005 using 5W20 because I can get PP cheap recently and $4/qt full price at Walmart. The MC blend is about $2.25/qt and I feel comfortable to use 5K OCI with pure synth only.

I live in N. Cal where vehicles could last forever. I also lived in Boston where 100K life was the norm.

Tranny, yea, under-serviced a 1997 GM 4L60E. Cost me $1700 at 135K. Never do that again.

A point I've raised on this forum many times.
The highest mileage guy on the Saturn forum has 480,000 miles, mostly with Chevron 10W40 dino.
But for those with BITOG OCD
shocked.gif
if it makes you feel better to pour high priced stuff in, go for it.

Quote:

You can try to keep a car running forever. I typically drive mine to about 150k. It's not that they nickle and dime you after a while. It's almost always cheaper to repair them than replace them. Eventually the loss of reliability is what drives even frugal people to replace cars. Old cars don't nickle and dime you to death, they hour and day you to death with the inconvenience of more frequent repairs and the subsequent loss of use of the vehicle.

That's one of the best paragraphs I've ever read on these boards. Made me stop lurking and sign up! Well spoken, Big Al.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

That's one of the best paragraphs I've ever read on these boards. Made me stop lurking and sign up! Well spoken, Big Al.
thumbsup.gif

DANG it! *I* wanted to be the one who caused you to sign up!
wink.gif

JK...welcome!

welcome.gif

I tend to buy cars that are about a dozen years old. Fancy Euro sports cars for summer, and not so fancy Japanese beaters for winter. The former have been babied and the latter are selected so that I can do most necessary repairs myself. On my current winter car I have done everything that did not require welding.

Here in Ontario Canada rust will get you before anything else. It is like some areas of the northern midwest where sometimes you can't see the snow through all the salt.

And yes, the fancy Euro car gets synthetic because it is a Turbo, and the winter car gets whatever Dino is on sale. Every once in a while I consider using synth just for the low temp pumpability but other wise Synth would be a waste since my Oil OCD would not let me go more than about 4K without the urge to change.

Quote:

Quote:

MOST engines will outlast the car with reasonable care. Unless you own something that calls for synthetic, like a super high performance engine engine or a known sludger, conventional oil changed on a reasonable schedule will do just fine. I have opened up engines with over 100k on them, maintained on conventional oil, that looked spotless inside . . . and that was with oil that is not nearly as good as what we have now.

If you run a thinner oil for better fuel economy or do really long extended drain intervals, you might be able to justify synthetic. Otherwise, it's probably a waste of money.

I have seen engines that failed prematurely from blown gaskets, cracked heads, burned valves, broken timing belts, broken water pump belts, loss of coolant, frozen coolant, etc. Synthetic oil wouldn't have helped them. If you see one that's just plain worn out, it was probably badly neglected.

You can try to keep a car running forever. I typically drive mine to about 150k. It's not that they nickle and dime you after a while. It's almost always cheaper to repair them than replace them. Eventually the loss of reliability is what drives even frugal people to replace cars. Old cars don't nickle and dime you to death, they hour and day you to death with the inconvenience of more frequent repairs and the subsequent loss of use of the vehicle.

Excellent post, IMHO.

"Dittos'" if I may borrow a phrase. Well said, BigAl. I use this logic all the time on customers who are trying to make a $1000-$2000 decision on a large repair, being careful our new car salesmen don't hear me, of course....

Fiances car is an 01 Focus we just got and changed the timing belt tonight (it had to be due) and the while the valve cover was off looked a the top of the head and at 130K on just regular oil I an sure it is spotless. VERY clean, cams looked great. The head was aluminum colored not even a light varnish.

We see car all the time that need to rebuilt or crushed with a good engine. Also seen one not make the first fill up at a gas station. Can you believe they actually gave him a new car not just a new engine??? I mean really!! Joke Joke Funny Funny. LOL

Thirty cars over forty-five years. Never lost an engine that didn't overheat (well there was a 66 belt throwing Corvair)-- Pennzoil and Quaker don't guarantee cars from oil related engine failure for 300 K for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back