Are all valve stem caps the same? Where do you buy yours?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

From what I read there seems to be some valve stem caps that are better than others, i.e., they have o-rings inside them? Is that right?

I'd like to know where to buy some replacement valve stem caps, either rubber or plastic. I don't want metal only because I don't want to encourage the theft of the caps. Two of mine have either fallen off or been stolen, I don't know which.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you,
Ed

A long time ago, I seemed to have been tightening the caps too much, and they would split over time, and this made them loose so they fell off.

After I stopped overtightening, I'm not losing any and gain extra caps when I replace valve stems (which also come with new caps).

I put alligator caps on our OTR tires at work so I have a stash of the metal ones that come on the valve stems. Whenever I lose one I replace it with a metal one out of my toolbox from work.

I put alligator caps on our OTR tires at work so I have a stash of the metal ones that come on the valve stems. Whenever I lose one I replace it with a metal one out of my toolbox from work.
Like these?

419TI3nLzML._AC_.jpg

They do make checking and adding air more convenient.

It is my understanding that plastic caps don't hold much pressure. That for practical purposes, they only protect the valve from dirt.

Metal valve caps CAN hold quite a bit of pressure, so they are very useful where tires are expensive to replace, like mining and construction.

It is my understanding that plastic caps don't hold much pressure. That for practical purposes, they only protect the valve from dirt.

Metal valve caps CAN hold quite a bit of pressure, so they are very useful where tires are expensive to replace, like mining and construction.
Yeah ok. Those metal caps promote corrosion especially in snow/rust area or climates. Especially when they have metal covering the valve stem body and metal cap.

Like these?

419TI3nLzML._AC_.jpg

They do make checking and adding air more convenient.
Yup that's the one. Our equipment operates in a very dusty environment and getting drivers to put caps back on is impossible. These solve that issue. I have had great luck with them. Probably 200-300 tires using them.

We use metal caps on hydraulic accumulators (Nitrogen up to about 5000 psi). They are not intended to hold pressure, only slight leakage by the Schraeder style stem (usually up to 3000 psi) or a screw operated poppet up to 6000 psi. I've not worked with any in the 6000-10000 to know those designs.

The caps that come with Toyota (Pacific) TPMS sensors are grey with a cute little red o-ring in them.

They could plausibly be a back-up to a leaky valve core, but the leaky core should get noticed and addressed at some point. I don't know if the tip of the valve is machined well enough to make a pressure proof seal with that o-ring.

Regular cheesy plastic ones rely on the plastic crush, same as a cap on a bottle of spring water.

Any valve stem cap is good enough, when used properly, to keep corrosion out of the valve core internals. This is important if you have expensive TPMS sensors you want to reuse or rebuild when mounting new tires.

The only caps I will buy are these... https://www.amazon.com/X-Tra-Seal-15-4915-High-Heat/dp/B01B4Y6LXA
I find them at O'Reilly's for maybe $4 for a 4 pack. Have used them on numerous vehicles over the last 10 or so years and never had a single issue with them. Quality made of metal, feel and look like stainless and has a nice seal in the end. No seizing, never loosen up, nothing and the knurled design makes spinning them quick.

I use whatever plastic ones come with the valve stems same as dad did. I sometimes remove them before I get new tires as they replace the stems anyway. It gives me spares.

I had issues with metal ones on other friends/family vehicles as they corroded on. Not sure what metal they were but seized on and needed Kroil and pliers while trying NOT to damage stem.

Back