are 5w-20 oils now being used in engines that previously ran 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
grin.gif
Well don't take this is as Gospel, but here it is as I understand it. In order to remove all traces of the old oil when changing brands of oil, you drain your engine and remove the filter. You put on a cheapy Wally World ST filter after precharging it, replace the drain plug, and then fill the engine with only 2 qts of the new brand of oil. Start the engine and let it run for about 30 seconds, then shut down and drain. Replace the filter with a precharged K&N and fill to the proper level with the new brand of oil.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
grin.gif
Well don't take this is as Gospel, but here it is as I understand it. In order to remove all traces of the old oil when changing brands of oil, you drain your engine and remove the filter. You put on a cheapy Wally World ST filter after precharging it, replace the drain plug, and then fill the engine with only 2 qts of the new brand of oil. Start the engine and let it run for about 30 seconds, then shut down and drain. Replace the filter with a precharged K&N and fill to the proper level with the new brand of oil.
grin.gif

If you're going to be that concerned about contaminating new oil, why don't you just not drive the car at all? Simple.

The Patman flush is a clever idea. I might try it if I ever need to clear some old oil that is excessively dirty. And it does it while minimizing the oil used so as not to waste a lot of oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:

quote:

I note that Ford never specced 5W20 for the 302, to my knowledge.

Ford has updated their recommendation for the use of 5W-20 motor oils in older vehicles.
web page

Ok, I retract my statement. I just reviewed things, and it appears that until '93 you could get the 302 in a Mustang. And a '93 Mustang is retro-reccomended for 5W20.

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:

quote:

I note that Ford never specced 5W20 for the 302, to my knowledge.

Ford has updated their recommendation for the use of 5W-20 motor oils in older vehicles.
web page

Ok, I retract my statement. I just reviewed things, and it appears that until '93 you could get the 302 in a Mustang. And a '93 Mustang is retro-reccomended for 5W20.

Actually if you go to the last page to see the engines 5W20 is now recommended for it includes the 302,351 and 460 as well as long as we a discussing OHV Pushrod V8's.

Are there better 10W30 or 5W30 oils than Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20? Of course! Are there worse? Of course!

Bottom line what can you buy for under $1.50 QT at Wal-Mart that is better than Motorcraft 5W20?

[ May 30, 2004, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Don't know whether they're "better" but Havoline in the 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosities can be had at Wally World for under $1.50/quart. They appear to be really good dino oils for the money.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Don't know whether they're "better" but Havoline in the 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosities can be had at Wally World for under $1.50/quart. They appear to be really good dino oils for the money.

Whimsey

I was refering to a post above that stated that the 5W20 should only be compared to other synthetic blends in 5W30 and 10W30. Those oils are in a higher price range.

Is viscosity linear? I noticed, for example, Redline @100C:
5W20 9.1
5W30 10.9
5W40 15.1
Seems like 30>40 viscosity increase is much greater than the 20>30 increase. So are 5W20 and 5W30 that much different. I know, newbie question. Tnx,

That is a great point regarding viscosity differences.

When I changed my oil from 10w-30 to 15w-40 (for a few days
grin.gif
) there was a VERY noticable difference in viscosity when drained.

When I drained out the 15w-40 (motor at full operating temp at draining) it was WAY thicker to the eye and finger than the 10w-30 that had always been in there.

However, now I'm using 5w-20 and I can not tell the difference between the 5w-20 and the 10w-30 when draining.......Not at all.

I think the 5/10w-30's and 0/5w-20's are alot closer in terms of viscosity when they are in the motor and not the lab.

I'm sure I'll get killed for this, but someone had to say it!
wink.gif

Darryl

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
I think if you read enough websites, and internet posts you find that every engine ever made has piston slap.
rolleyes.gif

Funny thing is I'm a active member in 3 Ford truck sites and have yet to see any mention of piston slap in the 4.2L V6's. Other problems yes, but not piston slap. Maybe you can educate me.

Whimsey

If I didn't have it, I would agree with you. But it seems to be getting more pronounced as the truck is getting older. It only happens if the the truck has sat for more than 4 hrs or so. As soon as I start the engine, it revs up to cold idle and slowly comes down. At this time is is running very smooth (about 5 - 10 seconds). Once its down to normal idle it starts to knock. Pretty loud bottom end knock. My gut reaction was that I have a bearing problem. But after driving about a mile (very gently) the knock completely disappears. There has been a few people on the Ford forums that have had the same problem, but few and far between. Not nearly as common as the 5.4L crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back