Arctic MTF Recommendations

It's time to change the clutch on my 02 Toyota Echo which has been run with 80w90 for the past few years. This vehicle is used strictly for commuting and I am rarely on the road longer than 20mins per trip. Temperature variations go from -40c to +40c depending on the season. When it's -40 the gearbox is so stiff that I can barely shift until it warms up. Should I do seasonal oil changes? I am thinking of using something super thin like Red Line's MT-LV (70w/75w) in the winter and 75W90 in the summer. Is that too thin for the winter?

Mobil 1, ATF is a wonderful manual transmission fluid. I know it's being discontinued. That's really too bad, as it works wonderfully for that application. With perfect syncro friction rates. I'd never use 75W-90 in a manual transmission today. As modern fluids can do the job without the excess viscosity.

If you survived with conventional 80w90, then a synthetic 75w90 year round is worth a start. Another option, because of location and average cooler temps, would be a 75w85. I wouldn't go any thinner.

I used Pentosin MTF2 in a Honda app which worked excellent but is no longer made. You also need to make sure you get that drivetain to running temp once in awhile or you will have condensation issues in winter.

It's time to change the clutch on my 02 Toyota Echo which has been run with 80w90 for the past few years. This vehicle is used strictly for commuting and I am rarely on the road longer than 20mins per trip. Temperature variations go from -40c to +40c depending on the season. When it's -40 the gearbox is so stiff that I can barely shift until it warms up. Should I do seasonal oil changes? I am thinking of using something super thin like Red Line's MT-LV (70w/75w) in the winter and 75W90 in the summer. Is that too thin for the winter?
I think these MTFs would be appropriate for the winter:

or

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf are both 10cSt fluids.

All viscosities of Redline's and Amsoil's MTFs have approximately the same DI additive packages.

Back