75W-85 vs 75W-90 for MTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most important thing is if it's a manual synchronized
transmission use ONLY a GL-4 spec fluid and nothing else...
that includes GL-4+, GL-4/5, ect...it should only
say GL-4 in the specs.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
say GL-4 in the specs.

Wrong, there's plenty of transaxle gearboxes that specifies ONLY GL 5 MTF to use.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Yes, I am going to use only GL-4 fluid.

My question is: if Nissan recommends 75W-85 and I use 75W-90 what will happen?

Cold shifting degradation and a minuscule loss of fuel economy.

badtlc,

I guess what you are saying is that I should stick with Nissan's recommendations, correct?
smile.gif

I doubt I will be able to buy Redline in Switzerland. My choices here are mostly European made oils.

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/transmission_oils/gear_oils/cid%286890%29/maxlife_mtf_gl-4_75w-80

Originally Posted By: asand1
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/transmission_oils/gear_oils/cid%286890%29/maxlife_mtf_gl-4_75w-80

This one is 75W-80. I need 75W-85.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Understood. Will stick to 75W-85 only.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
say GL-4 in the specs.

Wrong, there's plenty of transaxle gearboxes that specifies ONLY GL 5 MTF to use.

Synchronized manual transaxles (only) in light passenger cars?
There can't be too many.

This could be the case in heavy duty trucks and buses perhaps.

I don't think you are going to find much of a difference between the two oils, my car calls for the 75-85, but after realizing I couldn't buy it in stores, I just put the 75-90 in it and I haven't had a problem.

Synchronized manual transaxles (only) in light passenger cars?
There can't be too many.(quote).

There are actually, to name few GL5 MTF is used in PSA Group , FIAT Group, some Renaults. You do understand that in transaxle configuration differential share casing with gears and that hypoid gears in differential benefit from using EP additives that are used in GL5 fluids. My car spec GL5, MIL-L-2105D 75w80 fluid for manual box.

Last edited:
Much depends on the gearing configuration and whether the sump is shared between the transmission and the differential, and IF the transaxle has a hypoid or spider gear configuration.

Not all transaxles have a hypoid differential.

IF, as in the Subaru common sump system, the common sump is shared between a manual transmission with spur gear and a HYPOID differential, then a GL-5 gear lube WITH special friction modifiers is indicated.

IF the transaxle has a spur gear configuration with a non-hypoid, spider gear differential, a GL-4 level dedicated MTL is indicated.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Understood. Will stick to 75W-85 only.

I have put yellow metal friendly GL4/5 Liqui Moly 75w90 gearbox oil into Hyundai (calls for their GL4 75w85)....and it shifts as before on OEM first fill for 4th year now...

Originally Posted By: Minou
My owner's manual calls for 75W-85 (API GL-4) MTF but I just flushed that and put Shell Spirax S 75W-90 (API GL-5, MT-1, pour point -45C) synthetic I got from my brother's supply.

The transmission was very stiff (until warmed up) on cold winter days with the OEM stuff. Could it have been dino oil? Is 75W-85 readily available in stores?

I hope to improve the cold shifting of my Sonata the same. So far in summer temps, the change is almost unnoticeable.

I would expect crummy, stiff shifting with the Spirax differential fluid since it has a viscosity higher than dedicated MTF's.

Try the Redline 75W80 or the 75W85 since these have the proper viscosity and friction modifiers for MT synchro assemblies.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Minou
My owner's manual calls for 75W-85 (API GL-4) MTF but I just flushed that and put Shell Spirax S 75W-90 (API GL-5, MT-1, pour point -45C) synthetic I got from my brother's supply.

The transmission was very stiff (until warmed up) on cold winter days with the OEM stuff. Could it have been dino oil? Is 75W-85 readily available in stores?

I hope to improve the cold shifting of my Sonata the same. So far in summer temps, the change is almost unnoticeable.

I would expect crummy, stiff shifting with the Spirax differential fluid since it has a viscosity higher than dedicated MTF's.

Try the Redline 75W80 or the 75W85 since these have the proper viscosity and friction modifiers for MT synchro assemblies.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

My long forgotten topic from 2009... I traded the Sonata in 2010!

Just curious, but since a gl-4 has half the ep additive of a gl-5, couldn't a 1:1 mixture of gl-5 gear oil and diesel engine oil of the same weight be mixed to create a gl-4?

So, does anyone have a place to get some reasonably priced GL-4 75w-90? I need quite a few quarts of it, and at $15/each it seems a bit pricey. Or is that just the going rate? I see Gl-5 for $5/quart, so the difference seems like a stiff premium.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I have put yellow metal friendly GL4/5 Liqui Moly 75w90 gearbox oil into Hyundai (calls for their GL4 75w85)....and it shifts as before on OEM first fill for 4th year now...

I've had encountered similar instances of GL5 works flawlessly in a manual trans (typically without hypoid gears) calling for GL4.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
So, does anyone have a place to get some reasonably priced GL-4 75w-90? I need quite a few quarts of it, and at $15/each it seems a bit pricey. Or is that just the going rate? I see Gl-5 for $5/quart, so the difference seems like a stiff premium.

Valvoline recommends their Synchromesh MTF for many GL-4 75W-90 applications and it's around $8 at O'reilly - link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back