Appropriate oil for high mileage GM 5.3

That'd work well
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have a 4.8 L silverado (196k) , my lifters are considerably quieter with pennzoil high mileage 10w40 than running mobil 1 hm 10w40.
I change it every 4,000 - 5,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rotorcraft230
Hi Tanner, has your 5.3 developed the start up noise or has it always been there? I have a 06 Silverado and it developed the lifter noise at the same milage as your truck but I always cut open my oil filters at noticed at that time it had started to make metal, did some research and found out that these engines eat cams on occasion. I pulled one head and sure enough there were two lobes and lifters were making metal. I changed the cam and lifters 35,000 miles ago subsequent oil changes have shown no metal. My truck has 245,000 on it with 80% highway and the other city.

Just though I would share before things got too serious if that is your issue.

I use Valvoline 5W-30 since new and switched to Valvoline 5W-30 HM at the cam swap about 210,000 miles. My engine uses 1/2 qt at the 5000 mile oil change.
Mark

THis guy has it right. Bottom end of these engines live longer than the top end. The valve cover issue did not start until 07 so it wouldn't apply to you. Take a chevy truck owners advice...not someone who owns a ford or kia.

High mile on an LS begins around 400,000 mi so at that point if I would consider running Rotella T5 10W30 in a moderate climate. Until then they live just fine on PYB 5W30. But the 400,000 mi switch gives owner's a warm fuzzy feeling they have done something.

I read a lot of articles on this topic, and I can say there are a lot of really good oils for high mileage GM. I paid my attention to the one, where I found a list of the best oil for high mileage 5.3 vortec https://carfluidsexpert.com/best-oil-for-high-mileage-5-3-vortec/ as the recommendations seems very interesting for me. Here you can read not only about the oil types, but also how often to change the oil and other useful information.

Meeler
My objection to articles like the one inside your link, is why does the author hide..... not even reveals his name - nor his credentials - nor the length of his studies.

Example: He has Castrol High Mileage GTX at the top of his HMs. But did he conduct enough OCIs to look for varnish?

Originally Posted by Meeler
I read a lot of articles on this topic, and I can say there are a lot of really good oils for high mileage GM. I paid my attention to the one, where I found a list of the best oil for high mileage 5.3 vortec https://carfluidsexpert.com/best-oil-for-high-mileage-5-3-vortec/ as the recommendations seems very interesting for me. Here you can read not only about the oil types, but also how often to change the oil and other useful information.

That article is strange! They list RP HMX as the #1 pick, but then say that Castrol HM GTX is the best for Silverado. They then go on to say that M1 HM is the best oil for the 5.3 Vortec, but note that Valvoline HM is the best for HM trucks which, unless I am mistaken, would include the Silverado. Last, they tout Pennzoil Platinum HM as the best for HM Silverados. I really can't understand how you could have that many "best" oils!

Last edited:
What's strange is the OP asked the question in 2017 …
And he has 3 lifetime posts (this thread) and .gone ……

From their About Us page:
"We conduct thorough research on many sources:
- manufacturers sites;
- technical documentation in the user manual for each brand;
- specialized forums;
- car dealer sites, etc
"

Here's my opinion on their opinion ...
"Car Fluid Experts" = regurgitation of marketing garbage. Not one shred of real data to back up their picks; none they share at least.
I doubt they've seen a UOA, let along know how to properly interpret one.

Last edited:
Ran a GMC Sierra (1998) for 340K before the 3rd transmission went. Used whatever oil was on sale. You name the oil, it was probably in it at some point. Mostly conventional and some HM oils. The 5.3 doesn't care. Don't get me started on the transmissions though.....

Old thread back from the dead.

My 2002 Tahoe with the 5.3L has 265k miles, and I have HPL BAS 5w-30 in it currently.

That article from "car fluid experts" is just a word salad.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Old thread back from the dead.

My 2002 Tahoe with the 5.3L has 265k miles, and I have HPL BAS 5w-30 in it currently.

That article from "car fluid experts" is just a word salad.

Most likely an automated document.

The poster of that link has made somewhat odd posts as well, who know if they are even real.

If this dead horse survives the day … think it gets buried on the night shift …
18.gif

Have you considered Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30? I use it in my friend's 2007 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 V8 with 172,000 miles. Works great and it has stopped a minor oil leak. It's on the thick side for a 5w-30.

Who are you asking ? … as I stated this guy did 3 lifetime posts and left the building in 2017.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Who are you asking ? … as I stated this guy did 3 lifetime posts and left the building in 2017.

lol.gif

Back