approaching decision time on GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm approaching 3k miles, where I want to do a UOA on the GC that I currently have in my 97 T-bird 4.6L.
So far, in 2100 miles, 1/4 qt. of GC has been used (in spite of the Arx for cars under 100k miles...had 0 consumption with Chevron dino 10/30 with Arx).
I've heard of cars "using" syn.oil immediately after changing over from dino, but that the consumption goes down froem there onwards...
So I wonder...should I use GC again or not?
While the low temp(25-35F) starts have been a little noisier/rougher than with 10/30 dino(I don't know why), operation in warmer temps have been smooth.

This oil is the 1st "normal" batch of oil I have in the car after the Arx treatment; changed to this GC immediately after the ARx rinse with Chevron 10/30 dino: so I don't know if this UOA will really reveal how well this oil does in this engine. But then again, I do want to do the UOA asap, 'cause I'm concerned about my coolant level going down slowly in the cool.reservoir tank..
So I'm battling with the following (?)s:

1) should I use GC again, and hope the consumption goes down with the 2nd run? or should I change to something else?(wish there was a way to know the UOA results BEFORE deciding on the next oil!)

2) should I be more concerned about the uoa values(=do uoa later with 2nd run of GC) or:
about the verification of coolant in oil(=do uoa now!)?

3) this GC being the 1st oil after the ARx: how badly can this fact effect the real values of the UOA?

the car has 93 k miles, btw.

What would you guys do in my place?

Thanks in advance.

[ April 10, 2004, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

Yes!! Keep using it for two more changes and do a UOA. I have never seen a bad UOA with this oil. Have you look at GC in the UOA section?

In both of the cars I've had UOAs on GC so far, the second interval with the oil showed considerably better wear numbers than the first, so definitely run 2 or 3 intervals with this oil before switching to something else, otherwise you won't see it's full potential.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
In both of the cars I've had UOAs on GC so far, the second interval with the oil showed considerably better wear numbers than the first, so definitely run 2 or 3 intervals with this oil before switching to something else, otherwise you won't see it's full potential.

...and what a full potential it has got!
grin.gif

quote:

In both of the cars I've had UOAs on GC so far, the second interval with the oil showed considerably better wear numbers than the first

Patman, not to change the subject, but I am taking your advice to keep the GC in my car all-year-'round. I am ending my 2nd 6 month/9k oci. No reason to switch around, especially to a 40 weight oil that will shear below what GC 0w-30 will be at the same point. No need to conserve GC either, it will be available widely and I have enough for 3 years hoarded. 7 cases = 2 times a year for 3 years of 6.5 quarts fill plus .5q top-off. Additional topping is accomplished with any random oil as a change should be nearly due. Can I join the looney bin now?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back