Apple updates their $400 phone

.....will Apple keep the older model around and drop the price as it sometimes does when new iPhones come out?

In his most recent "Power On" newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman suggested that Apple could potentially keep the 2020 ‌iPhone SE‌ around, dropping the price to somewhere around $199.

Apple has never had a sub-$200 iPhone before, with the entry-level $399 ‌iPhone SE‌ positioned as the cheapest ‌iPhone‌ that's been released to date, but as Gurman suggests, component costs are low enough that Apple might be willing to consider an even more affordable ‌iPhone‌ option.

Gurman argues that if Apple does end up keeping the old ‌iPhone SE‌ around and selling it for a ~$199 price point, Apple could see notable sales in developing markets and create long-term services revenue while growing the iOS ecosystem.

Gurman has confirmed that there is no sign that Apple actually plans to keep the older ‌iPhone SE‌ around as a lower cost alternative, but it's clear there's incentive.

the wife got me a phone for my bday. A xiaomi redmi 10. Way too big, didn't like it and made the mistake of telling her, no sound and lousy picture for a few days... Anyway back to using the old samsung S7. Still on the big side imo but much more manageable. Her old S5 mini was a decent size.

I'm all in for the new SE3 I have had Iphones since the first one but was willing to walk away when they got too big, luckily the SE and SE2 came along. these are a bargain.
I like the bigger screens and why I moved into the Apple world BUT some years later I can certainly see the appeal of a well made smaller screen phone ( as long as your eyesight is good) lol
But no kidding, yeah I get it now, more so having a Mac Notebook and Mac Desktop.
It’s kind of cool, almost novelty

I like it for the home button. I know I’m in the minority when I say that but I do. What turns me away is the size I like the 6.1 like my 12 Pro. It’s just a size I’ve gotten used too. My XR was the same size. Also the lack of colors too where is the blue? Or at least green. I like red too but not on a phone. Maybe I expect too much from cheap iPhones lol. But those things matter to me. I am not due for an upgrade till next year anyway lol and now that I’m in the pro models I don’t want to go back.

Just want to say thank you for posting this! While I'm a faithful Android user, my SO loves her iPhone yet refuses to give up her physical home button. She's currently using the 2020 SE, but the battery is slowly losing capacity and she's been dreading replacing it. Beside the home button, the has small hands and loves the form factor which is why she stuck with this model. Since I don't follow Apple news personally, I had no idea there was a new SE coming.

I've alerted her to the great news, and now she can't wait to get her hands on the SE "3" when it's released!

I’ve had the 5s, 6s, SE-1, and have the SE-2 now. Will be buying the SE-3 when it’s released. I have no desire for Face ID. Touch ID and the home button works fine for me. Also don’t need 100 cameras on the back of the phone. The SE camera is good enough for what I use it for. Also the screen size is good enough. Disappointed the price went up $30 but it’s not a deal breaker. That’s still better than paying $1000 for a phone.

Last edited:
Hmm, I could be tempted. I killed the ear piece in my 6s when I changed the battery (speaker works thankfully) and wireless charging might be a nice perk. 6s might only be $30 on trade in, worth more as a spare to me, as I can just swap sim cards in case of issue. (i think? not sure how MS authenticator would like that).

Hmm, I could be tempted. I killed the ear piece in my 6s when I changed the battery (speaker works thankfully) and wireless charging might be a nice perk. 6s might only be $30 on trade in, worth more as a spare to me, as I can just swap sim cards in case of issue. (i think? not sure how MS authenticator would like that).
Should work fine, we just gave my soon to be sister in law my wife’s iPhone 11 (she had an iPhone 8) and my wife’s friend has our old 7S Plus (she had some low end Samsung) and neither had any troubles. I’d leave the other phone alone till you ensure MS Authenticator works properly if you plan on wiping the old one, though it should be okay.

I like it for the home button. I know I’m in the minority when I say that but I do. What turns me away is the size I like the 6.1 like my 12 Pro. It’s just a size I’ve gotten used too. My XR was the same size. Also the lack of colors too where is the blue? Or at least green. I like red too but not on a phone. Maybe I expect too much from cheap iPhones lol. But those things matter to me. I am not due for an upgrade till next year anyway lol and now that I’m in the pro models I don’t want to go back.
Is there no end to your wealth?

It looks like I can get $150 to trade in my SE2. If my wife passes on my phone, I'm in for the SE3 taking advantage of the trade in price. Service here is hit or miss, 5G is in place my hope is the 5G phone will be better for me.

Should work fine, we just gave my soon to be sister in law my wife’s iPhone 11 (she had an iPhone 8) and my wife’s friend has our old 7S Plus (she had some low end Samsung) and neither had any troubles. I’d leave the other phone alone till you ensure MS Authenticator works properly if you plan on wiping the old one, though it should be okay.
I forget how it's moved from phone to phone, I want to say, I have to contact IT in order to have it transferred if I change phones. I know I asked about it in the past, I just have to find the email...

I have an XR, yeah, I like colors, in fact my XR is yellow.
I wasn't never a fan of the button BUT I have changed my mind a little, why?
I HATE the facial recognition unlocking my screen all the time. Its so freaking sensitive!

Crap! the phone catches a glance of my face (even at a distance) when I move it around and unlocks as I put it in my back pocket. Drives me freaking nuts, Im always trying to avoid it. I MUCH rather have a finger print reader and the SE3 uses that but at the cost of screen size.
This is the one and only thing I hate about my IPHONE, I think its actually cheap to not have a finger print reader and rely on the camera to unlock the screen.
Im always going to have an iPhone now that I am in their ecosystem completely (to an extreme) but I may find that inexpensive SE 3 attractive just for that feature alone. I never would have thought that and most likely just go with a 12 but I have time. I always get the oldest production model iPhone. Cant bring myself to spend more than $500
I loved my old Huawei phone with the fingerprint reader on the back.

It looks like I can get $150 to trade in my SE2. If my wife passes on my phone, I'm in for the SE3 taking advantage of the trade in price. Service here is hit or miss, 5G is in place my hope is the 5G phone will be better for me.
Keep in mind, 5G range is shorter then LTE so if you have issues now, you MAY have the same issues but I dont know that for fact.
If hoping for 5G, with a service like Red Pocket you can jump around networks. Lets say, try all three and see which one works best for you since there are no contracts and they handle all three networks.

I’ve had the 5s, 6s, SE-1, and have the SE-2 now. Will be buying the SE-3 when it’s released. I have no desire for Face ID. Touch ID and the home button works fine for me. Also don’t need 100 cameras on the back of the phone. The SE camera is good enough for what I use it for. Also the screen size is good enough. Disappointed the price went up $30 but it’s not a deal breaker. That’s still better than paying $1000 for a phone.
Wow! Great to read your post! I currently have an XR, great dependable phone and assumed an iPhone 12 would be my new purchase at the end of the year.
I never thought I would say this but this SE3 has caught my interest with the latest processor, even better battery life then the SE2, great screen (all iPhone have that though) waterproofing. I mean they didnt really cheap out the phone in anyway, traditional good Apple product.

1. I dont care for multiple camera lens, when I want serious photos I take out my Nikon DSLR a camera phone doesnt come close at any price. SO I am with you on that.

2. (I started at the bottom of the thread and reading upwards) SO I just posted this, agree with you again! I HATE, HATE, HATE! FACE ID on iPhones!!! HATE IT! *LOL* This is the main reason I might compromise screen size and interest in an SE3. I am not crazy about the look of the home button but if I can have Touch ID back I could care less. I darn FACE ID is so sensitive I am CONSTANTLY making sure the phone doesnt see my face as I put it in my back pocket. I can not tell you how many times it unlocked as I put it in my pocket, only to open an app. I notice something is open after a long time and the screen let up because my pocket starts to get warm.

3. It would be cool to have more colors, after all, they broke the mold with me (as my wife would say) I have a yellow XR phone and considering a purple iPhone 12 at the end of the year, unless I change my mind to the SE3 for the finger print reader.

4. $29 price increase, hey, its APPLE, Im ok with price if I dont have to give up one bit of quality I rather have the price increase. If I wanted price I would go android.

Last edited:
Back