Apple TV 4k .. good riddance

Finally replaced this device after owning it for little over a year with a ChromeCast 4k. I compare it to a HP desktop we got it back in 08-09.. both were complete garbage. We have the 2nd gen apple tv with no issues compared to the next gen.

- Randomly loses video signal. Has to be something with the HDMI protocols. The only fix was to unplug it count to 5 and replug.
- Randomly starts glitching the video. I compare to a memory leak. The only fix is to reboot it. And usually starts in the middle of video.. doesn't matter the app.
- Whoever designed the remote needs to be fired and sent to the arctic circle. The smooth back means it always falls. And you pick it up the upper half is so sensitive it'll can the channel, fast forward or whatever it feels like.

.. The final straw was the Youtube app just stopped working. Why I don't know since there was no recent update. Tried everything. I'm at home for a subtalar dislocation and it was a good thing I can't walk or would of ran it over with the truck.

Apple really screwed up on this one.. although I think even our iPhones are slipping in quality. The Chromecast doesn't have the memory although we don't use it and seems a little slower.. but if I can go a week without touching it I'll be happy. The remote is way more user friendly. Maybe we just got a bad one and it's my mistake for not returning it sooner.. but I can't knowingly sell it now.

I have 6 total around the house and and have had zero issues but I do hate the remote

We have chromecast TV and 2 other chromecast's on older TV's. They are great. I wish they still sold dumb TV's. Slap a chromecast on it and gtg. All these smart TV's are just prone to early failure since it's basically a cheap ass computer behind your panel.

Reactions: JC1
I have 6 total around the house and and have had zero issues but I do hate the remote
We must of got a bad one then. Started about 6 months after we got it.

Eric it's not the TV. It's an internet connection issue. Look into getting a mesh system in your home. IMO best bang for the buck is Eero:

Once you go to mesh all TV and buffering issues will be solved.

Internet is far from the problem. 10ft from the wireless and connected to Google Fiber. It's only slower on opening apps.

I’ve not had any problems with my Apple TV 4K. The remote is something they should work on to make it easier to handle and operate.

YT sucks on Apple TV because of some decoder issues (that's why 4K videos can't be played on iOS devices). I use the TV's built in YT app for YT videos.
I use LG's Magic remote instead of the apple remote.

I hate to hear that experience I love Apple products. I’ve never used the Apple TV though because we still have cable so I don’t do Apple TV or anything.

YT sucks on Apple TV because of some decoder issues (that's why 4K videos can't be played on iOS devices). I use the TV's built in YT app for YT videos.
I use LG's Magic remote instead of the apple remote.
Google/YT started using VP9 encoding, which Apple did not support until iOS 14 and MacOS Big Sur.
0206B206-0BF6-4552-A0EE-E6B8BFAC1A87.png

Remote is garbage. Get a cover off Amazon. Mine randomly get a black video screen on the spectrum app. After a recent update. It used to get a black Home Screen before the update. Restarting fixes it. Very poorly designed

We have Apple TV, free one year subscription, no issues but we use a 4K Roku players for it and also for Netflex, Amazon and Hulu streaming as well as tons of other channels.
No need for any other devices Roku does it all.
It’s a great device, just plug it into your HDMI

Little over a week using the Chromecast. YouTube has a little glitch every couple days and doesn't allow multiple logins but other than that no issues. Tubi, Netflix and Hulu all function with no issues. I would had to reset the AppleTV at least twice in this time frame. I did do a full reset on the AppleTV but froze up when it rebooted.. yeah must be a bad one.

Back