Apple MacBook Pro M1 vs i7/i9 15" or 16"

Well. After a few months of using this late 13 15" MBP i7/16GB/512SSD/750M 2GB/Intel Iris 1.5GB Im hooked on the larger retina screen, and the quad core CPU's power. Im really getting the itch to upgrade to something like a 2018 or newer 15 or 16 inch with either the i7 or i9 maybe even the m1 if price is right, minimum 16GB ram, 500GB-1000GB SSD and dedicated graphics. AS much as i would love a maxed out M1 16", it would be completely overkill for what i need, light video / photo editing, multiple tabs, multiple apps open, but even now, this i7 does not feel to be the bottleneck. I also use bootcamp, and have Windows 11 Pro installed on this current 15" MBP. I think with the m1 i can not use bootcamp any longer? My next worry would be software support from apple. If i did get a intel mbp, how long would the support be for? i would assume the M1's would be supported for longer, with more features, being as this is a new chip for apple? BUT i also can not picture apple leaving all these 2020 a older intel mbp in the dust. My current 15" just stopped receiving major software updates such as Monterey, but still will receive bug fixes and security patches under big sur for a couple more years. Battery life is not a major concern, but a few hours or more like i currently have would be great. - as long as its not worse. Any thing else i should keep a eye on? I know for a few years maybe 16-18 or so they had questionable keyboards, and sometimes lines would appear on the screen because of a cable that was too short, and got pulled on by opening and closing the screen. I guess thermal issues also was a problem on some mbp.

So my question is: What mbp should i pull the trigger on that are the most reliable, without major issues, and will be supported for years? I would like to continue using bootcamp, because i need a Windows program that are not available on macos. (software and updates for OBD-2 code reader.) Ports are also not a big deal, but HDMI, and USB would be cool haha. Worse case i would use a adapter. Retina screen 15 or 16 inch. I cant go back the the 13" after using the 15 inch. weight, and battery life matter, but i'm flexible. Dedicated graphics are a must. Thank you!!

IMG_2309.jpeg
IMG_2313.jpeg
IMG_2310.jpeg

Personal opinion only: buy the one with the biggest RAM size you can afford regardless of CPU, and buy the 15" and then buy an external monitor to go with it (suggest a 32" if you can afford it, 27" if you cannot).

I value the ability to hopefully one day have children, and as a consequence of that I would never consider a 16” i9.

At this point, unless you have a specific need for an Intel system, IMO the M1 series is so much better in every way it’s the only option personally on my radar.

I also have a late 2013 MBP, and I ordered an M1Max, 16", 64Gb Macbook pro model. I only use a few windows programs and even browsing is getting slow with the older unit. Edits take awhile with Photoshop and the battery life is under 2 hrs now.

There are a few options to run windows. a) Use Parallels with ARM 64 windows. Some programs may not work. b) Run windows in the cloud c) Use a windows emulator or container to run specific programs. IMO, the additional speed and fast GPU on the new MBP makes it the best current choice in a high end laptop. I plan on using 2 external monitors with it for serious work.

Back