Apollo 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by Fawteen
An incredible achievement by the United States of America.

Some of the engineers at NASA were Canadians who came over from the cancelled Avro Arrow program in Canada.
smile.gif

And they came to the United States from the failed Avro Arrow project. The United States was the only country on earth that had the capabilities to go to the moon.

And they did it with rocket technology from German rocket scientists captured after WWII. (Just having some fun). I wish they would have kept up the pace while they had the momentum.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I remember it very well... I was in 5th grade and was totally absorbed in all the Apollo activities. The landing happened in the afternoon and they started exiting the lander much later in the evening, about 9 or 10 PM Central time as I recall. We lived in Chicago and had a wooden front porch. Some of the old timers in my area didn't have TV so my dad setup our "White brand" B&W TV set on the porch and our family and neighbors were watching and drinking cokes. It was a hot, hot day and the mosquitoes were biting. The image quality was terrible and honestly, at times, I could not really make-out what was being displayed. Ultimately though, I do remember the dark grey images of a space suit moving about and occasional bright reflection. Toward the end of the moonwalk, the images were a little better.

Truly incredible time in history and I'm so glad I witnessed it with full comprehension of it's significance.

I was glued to the TV for every Apollo mission thereafter.

Ray

I was a 12 YO and I can remember the B&W live stream from the Moon.
Who else remembers **** Nixon's live convo with the astronauts?
Anyway, Neal grew up maybe fifty miles north of us and lived out his last days maybe eight miles east of us.
Incredible how far NASA went in less than a decade using 1940s-'50s tech with less help from the captured Germans (and they really were, since their choice was the USSR or the US) than many seem to think.

It's unfortunate how little time the supposed educational channels are giving the anniversary. Sure, there are some specials, but heaven forbid it interrupt Shark Week or Giorgio's insane ramblings about ancient aliens, let alone some of the other garbage on those stations. It's pretty pathetic that the TV watching public is more interested in that than the actual history of what man did and the science.

This week should have marathons of specials commemorating the occasion on several of those channels. All I found tonight was one PBS special.

Originally Posted by Garak
It's unfortunate how little time the supposed educational channels are giving the anniversary. Sure, there are some specials, but heaven forbid it interrupt Shark Week or Giorgio's insane ramblings about ancient aliens, let alone some of the other garbage on those stations. It's pretty pathetic that the TV watching public is more interested in that than the actual history of what man did and the science.

This week should have marathons of specials commemorating the occasion on several of those channels. All I found tonight was one PBS special.

I get pretty disgusted watching the History channel, now it's all about aliens and I can't even figure out who's watching those shows. I can only stand it for a couple minutes before having to switch the channel. Basically the entire shows are completely worthless because they keep saying that maybe it was aliens that did it. Or more likely something much more mundane, but of course they never heard of Occam's Razor.

I myself completely missed hearing about the Higg's Boson whose existence was confirmed in 2012.

I remember being 18 months old, and my Mum standing me in front of the TV, and telling me that what was happening was very important.

I don't recall the video moment, and can superimpose it from later memories, but clear as day remember the event and the set-up.with My Mum.

I floored her years later (like 42 years later) by drawing the floorplan of the house that we moved out of when I was 3-1/2, describing the bed spread on my bed, and who was in what rooms the dog that went missing at the same time...oh, and the Chicken Pox Party

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Wasn't the moon landing a huge hoax filmed on a Hollywood set?

Haha just kidding :p

I expected half the replies here seriously claiming that moon landing was fake. Given the demographics of BITOG, I am pleasantly surprised :)

Originally Posted by Vikas
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Wasn't the moon landing a huge hoax filmed on a Hollywood set?

Haha just kidding :p

I expected half the replies here seriously claiming that moon landing was fake. Given the demographics of BITOG, I am pleasantly surprised :)

I think there were only a few people on here who would claim that, but they've probably been banned for trolling. Even if they claim it was faked, how do they explain the mirrors on the moon? They use those to measure the distance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment

I suggest that anyone who has doubts should seek out Buzz Aldrin and ask him. He's approachable and often appears at various public events where you can talk to him one-on-one.

Go on, I dare you.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I was just off a little bit.

Yeah, Mars, Moon, what's the difference? They both start with M. Aside from the 35 million plus miles vs about a 1/4 million miles of course...

I guess you could call that a little bit relative to the observable universe at about 93 billion light years.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by PimTac
I was just off a little bit.

Yeah, Mars, Moon, what's the difference? They both start with M. Aside from the 35 million plus miles vs about a 1/4 million miles of course...

I guess you could call that a little bit relative to the observable universe at about 93 billion light years.

One is in studio 1 and the other is in studio 4. I'm kidding. My grandparents and my mom all worked for Boeing at Cape Canaveral on the Apollo program. The ended up moving here in 1968 so they missed a lot of the fun stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back