API SP/GF-6 Royal Purple 5W-30 test results from PQIA

No, a $20 VOA will not show the "hidden gems". A VOA will basically show what the PQIA shows.

I've done the research and with the limited information from a VOA and PQIA, not much different from SuperTech.
So there’s probably more goodies that only a mega expensive analysis would reveal.

This royal purple is just little better house brand but very close to valvoline synpower or castrol full synthetic after api certified and remove syrlatec

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I believe Tom NJ addressed this not too long ago but i couldn't find it. His comments made perfect sense though.
PQIA runs tests selected to determine if the oil in the bottle is consistent with its labeled claims, not so that oils can be compared. That's a BITOG thing. With a few exceptions, the Noack test has generally not caught deficiencies that other tests missed, and so has not been useful to PQIA's mission. They will run Noacks when they believe it may be telling, but otherwise it has not been a very helpful data point.

PQIA runs tests selected to determine if the oil in the bottle is consistent with its labeled claims, not so that oils can be compared. That's a BITOG thing. With a few exceptions, the Noack test has generally not caught deficiencies that other tests missed, and so has not been useful to PQIA's mission. They will run Noacks when they believe it may be telling, but otherwise it has not been a very helpful data point.
Thanks Tom.

My favorite part of this thread is some people presume that well marketed oils, that has resulted in an assumption of premium brands having premium performance, means those particular oils have a “secret sauce” Over less “premium” brands that meet the same specifications. human nature is funny..because it is easier to presume there is something extra in the oil, than to admit the extra in the price is due to marketing.

If future standards reduce Noack volatility, it's likely the Noack testing will resume until it is determined oils are generally in spec...

Posted before, but for those interested, here is the old one-armed-bandit test from Street Commodores, back in the day. Posted for amusement only, but Royal Purple 10W40 with Synerlec is one of the oils tested.

No need to thank me.....it’s a community service.
Fascinating how Valvoline blew every other oil away Besides RP and Penrite)!! There has to be something to this, at least imo.

Back