API SM/SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, C3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil has the title certifications. I believe CF is for high speed diesel engines(passenger cars) but what would be the add to give it the CF rate? I do know that it has a SA of only 0.78 and a TBN of 7. This is a Valvoline 5W-30 and it looks almost identical to their MaxLife full synthetic on the product data sheet. The only difference I can see is this oil has 490 ppm less in the detergent add, and no moly. 40C, 100C, and HTHS are the same.

CF dates back to about 1994. I think most SM oils by default pass the testing required of CF.

CF-4 required a much higher TBN.

Yeah, IMO CF is pretty weak. Great UOAs on diesels old and new using the later Cx-4 specs as they've come out...

The PDS mentioned this oil was especially good for engines with particulate filters. What would make it so good for particulte filters? Is that because of the low SA?

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
This oil has the title certifications. I believe CF is for high speed diesel engines(passenger cars) but what would be the add to give it the CF rate? I do know that it has a SA of only 0.78 and a TBN of 7. This is a Valvoline 5W-30 and it looks almost identical to their MaxLife full synthetic on the product data sheet. The only difference I can see is this oil has 490 ppm less in the detergent add, and no moly. 40C, 100C, and HTHS are the same.

ACEA C3 means it is suitable for engines with a diesel particulate filter.

That does not mean it provides the best protection for engines... just for the DPF.

yes, but it also appears to meet acea a3/b3 and b4

What vehicle is this for? We were running M1 0w40 in our e320 cdi, which is SM/SL/CF as well. The 0w40 worked fantastically until we recently started using the ESP 5w40, which I find to be a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back