API rating on Motorcraft diesel engine oil 15w-40

The owners manual on my 2015 F250 diesel doesn't say what API rating the engine oil to use.
It only gives the Motorcraft oil to use which doesn't give any API specs.
What would be the API I need to look for if I want to use some other Diesel engine oil?

thank you. for the reply.
In your opinion, do you think it's ok if use Tractor supply Traveller's diesel engine oil 15w-40 in my F250 which is considered light duty use?
There are several folks on the Ford forums that use Tractor Supply house brand oil & can be a good value. There is a Mobil Delvac rebate going on right now too but the only Delvac that has that specification is the Delvac Extreme 15w-40 & has been my go to oil lately.

There are several folks on the Ford forums that use Tractor Supply house brand oil & can be a good value. There is a Mobil Delvac rebate going on right now too but the only Delvac that has that specification is the Delvac Extreme 15w-40 & has been my go to oil lately.
Today I asked a mechanic at the Ford dealer about the oil they use in diesels. He said they use bulk oil from Mobil Oil when they do an oil change in the bay. I ask the parts department for a bottle of oil for a look to see if it had API on it. Which it didn't. I don't know who packages their bottled oil labeled Motorcraft with spec WSS-M2C171-F1. I went ahead and asked for an oil & filter change and got it over with. Now that I have better info, in the future if I decide to change it my self and save some bucks I will be more ready to decide on the oil to use. Mobil Oil, Now ExxonMobil is the nearest Refinery here. I actually retired from Exxonmobil Chemical 2005.
They charge 92.50 for 13qts and 41.50 for a oil filter. Much higher that what I can get one at Autozone
thanks everyone

Last edited:
There’s a back story on this.

When CK4 was still in its proposal phase, of PC11, Ford was one of the engine OEMs very unhappy with the proposed specs. Initially, FA4 was not proposed. It was going to be one standard, not a split standard. This standard was also initially proposed with a low phosphorus and zinc level. Capping it along the lines of PCEO products.

Mind you, this never happened. It became a split standard. And it had a wide variation in what was allowed in terms of formulation. However in the meanwhile, Ford developed WSS-M2C171-F1 standards.

When CK4 launched and Chevron / Delo / Oronite (thus others) went low phosphorus, it became a thing. And is still a thing. The very first generation of Rotella CK4 didn’t meet it. (This has since been changed of course.)

Ford also did not go to CK4 when it came out, for well over a year. Motorcraft 15w40 was still CJ4. And blended as CJ4. We did not get the change notice for a long while after. Mind you, this is an important line. My company is the largest motorcraft distributor in the U.S. we also literally wrote the National Motorcraft QC program for bulk oil, for motorcraft. So the change over procedure is important to me.

As for Mobil being in Ford stores… that makes ford very unhappy.

There’s a back story on this.

When CK4 was still in its proposal phase, of PC11, Ford was one of the engine OEMs very unhappy with the proposed specs. Initially, FA4 was not proposed. It was going to be one standard, not a split standard. This standard was also initially proposed with a low phosphorus and zinc level. Capping it along the lines of PCEO products.

Mind you, this never happened. It became a split standard.
And it had a wide variation in what was allowed in terms of formulation. However in the meanwhile, Ford developed WSS-M2C171-F1 standards.

When CK4 launched and Chevron / Delo / Oronite (thus others) went low phosphorus, it became a thing. And is still a thing. The very first generation of Rotella CK4 didn’t meet it. (This has since been changed of course.)

Ford also did not go to CK4 when it came out, for well over a year. Motorcraft 15w40 was still CJ4. And blended as CJ4. We did not get the change notice for a long while after. Mind you, this is an important line. My company is the largest motorcraft distributor in the U.S. we also literally wrote the National Motorcraft QC program for bulk oil, for motorcraft. So the change over procedure is important to me.

As for Mobil being in Ford stores… that makes ford very unhappy.
There are CK-4 oils that also meet API SP now so there is essentially CK-4 oils along the lines of PCEO products w/low Phos/Zinc. From everything I've seen those do not meet Fords F1 spec 1000 PPM Phos. minimum. FA4 is a lower viscosity/Low HTHS oil for fuel savings & never affected oils like a 15w-40 OP is asking about.

Mobil pays Ford for their "F1 Approval" so not sure why they're "Unhappy" other than simply competition.

Last edited:
There are CK-4 oils that also meet API SP now so there is essentially CK-4 oils along the lines of PCEO products w/low Phos/Zinc. FA4 is a lower viscosity/Low HTHS oil for fuel savings & never affected oils like a 15w-40 OP is asking about.

Mobil pays Ford for their "F1 Approval" so not sure why they're "Unhappy" other than simply competition.

Oh I get it. Just saying early on how things changed around so much in the process of PC11 to the actual launch of CK4/FA4.

Because it is competition for motorcraft? I’m not allowed to sell anything besides motorcraft to a ford store, unless Ford does not offer that product.

Oh I get it. Just saying early on how things changed around so much in the process of PC11 to the actual launch of CK4/FA4.

Because it is competition for motorcraft? I’m not allowed to sell anything besides motorcraft to a ford store, unless Ford does not offer that product.
To be clear I'm not implying you don't get it b/c I'm sure you're well aware of these things & am thrilled you bring up some background about it.

Just wondering IF Ford would be disgruntled, from the Shops perspective, when outsourcing oil. I would imagine there are Ford shops buying, from a local distributor, whatever the bottom dollar oil was. Unfortunately, it may not meet spec & would give Ford a good reason to be upset. However, I just couldn't imagine the shop getting into issue if they are offering an official F1 approved licensed oil other than MotorCraft. Now, if they're not following policy to not outsource oil then I also understand that.

You know what you need to stock based on Fords policies so that position is straightforward.

To be clear I'm not implying you don't get it b/c I'm sure you're well aware of these things & am thrilled you bring up some background about it.

Just wondering IF Ford would be disgruntled, from the Shops perspective, when outsourcing oil. I would imagine there are Ford shops buying, from a local distributor, whatever the bottom dollar oil was. Unfortunately, it may not meet spec & would give Ford a good reason to be upset. However, I just couldn't imagine the shop getting into issue if they are offering an official F1 approved licensed oil other than MotorCraft. Now, if they're not following policy to not outsource oil then I also understand that.

You know what you need to stock based on Fords policies so that position is straightforward.

There is large economic incentives for the dealership to offer motorcraft. There is also the question of warranty work. Ford specifies, if they’re doing warranty work ford is paying for, than motorcraft products must be used.

As I said, for me - I cannot sell anything but motorcraft, to a ford store.

If they have a detached, separate lot “Ford Quicklane” - Motorcraft is encouraged, but not mandatory. Inside of the actual store / shop - Motorcraft is mandatory for me.

If the dealer wants to buck motorcraft - they can. Just be prepared to fight ford. The only dealerships that I know who do this, is the Autonation chain. But that’s because they do their own parts remanufacturing, they cover their own warranty work, etc.

There is large economic incentives for the dealership to offer motorcraft. There is also the question of warranty work. Ford specifies, if they’re doing warranty work ford is paying for, than motorcraft products must be used.

As I said, for me - I cannot sell anything but motorcraft, to a ford store.

If they have a detached, separate lot “Ford Quicklane” - Motorcraft is encouraged, but not mandatory. Inside of the actual store / shop - Motorcraft is mandatory for me.

If the dealer wants to buck motorcraft - they can. Just be prepared to fight ford. The only dealerships that I know who do this, is the Autonation chain. But that’s because they do their own parts remanufacturing, they cover their own warranty work, etc.
Very good information & makes sense.

Back