Anything to help a new mower run on low oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Scott P
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Who made the engine?

The engine is Toro branded, a Toro TXP 159 cc. It comes with a five year warranty, so I imagine it is built better than the big box store mowers.

It's very similar to a Honda commercial GXV160. Yes its made in China and is a clone engine. It is a durable engine, parts are readily available and not too expensive. The engine has a life span about 3 times that of an average aluminum bore Briggs per manufactures testing.

Don't worry about the engine oil being low. As long as it starts and runs fine and doesn't smoke the engine will be fine.

It's a 2004 10323 with the DuraForce 2 stroke. The carb float is sticking along with a possibly warped carb. I'm sure a simple carb replacement will have it running again, but I just don't have the desire to sink any more money into it.

Now this is saddening. Lol.

I know exactly how you feel though. A new carb is $50+.. and by the time you sink money into it, a whole "new" LB can be bought on CL for half as much.

I have an older F series that doesn't run and I have given up on it. I even put it on CL as "free to good home" and only received 1 bite that stood me up. It is a steel deck with the most least desirable self propelled system so I imagine that's why.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I'd fill with oil and use as is.
If still somewhat new, I'd change the oil every 1-2 hours to get out any breakin material. That's what I did with my Tore Super recycler.

Mine is a 21" push type.
B&S engine.
Problem: Side of engine was always a oily mess (since new).

I had to change the upper oil seal on the cam shaft.

Side note:
B&S now uses "plastic" cams on the steel cam shaft.
I read their patient for the plastic cams and B&S is saying they should last for 10,000 hours minimum.

Oh pleeeeze! B&S, Honda, etc. has been using nylon cam gear for many, many decades. Most of these engines last an easy 15+yrs with no signs of cam failure (due to low valve spring tensions), so, where does the "plastic" cam concerns suddenly becomes a big issue?

Q.

last summer, I used my Toro Recycler 2011 model with low oil accidentally. I checked the oil and forgot to tighten the fill cap to lock it. so when I started cutting grass, oil was leaking out the side for ten minutes. I feared one of the oil seals were leaking. I stopped half way cutting grass, cleaned up the oil and grass stained deck, refilled with oil. it has worked with no issues. I thought I damaged the motor. it's Briggs and Stratton. I agree with others who say these engines can take abuse.

It's not going anywhere until I can get the shoulder bolts needed to attach the handle. Nobody seems to carry them locally.

Find a Toro dealer to order those special bolts. If you can't find a dealer nearby you can probably call one and have them ship you the parts.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
It's not going anywhere until I can get the shoulder bolts needed to attach the handle. Nobody seems to carry them locally.

Find a Toro dealer to order those special bolts. If you can't find a dealer nearby you can probably call one and have them ship you the parts.

I ordered them online and got them two days later along with a new air filter for the fall oil and filter change. Parts Tree is in Austin, so they are only three hours away. I ended up finding a couple bolts that screwed in enough to keep the handle from moving, so I used those when mowed the lawn. Once my replacement bolts came in, I simply swapped them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back