Anything to help a new mower run on low oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a like new Toro Super Recycler SR4 90381 off of craigslist. He bought it online and only used once or twice. He did not attach the bolts to secure the handle to the mower, so it was awkward to use and he gave up. Oil was very low in the machine. It did not reach the dipstick, but when tilted on its side, oil did come up the dipstick tube. Also included with the purchase was two quart bottles of RP 10W-30 he bought for the mower. One is open, so I imagine that is what is in there. I'm planning on draining what is inside and filling it up with the RP.

My concern is any possible damage to the engine while it was run under low oil. I doubt there is even thirty minutes of run time on the machine. Still, in a small engine, that might be a lot with no oil. Is there anything I can add to the oil to possibly help? Or, do I just put the oil in and run it like normal? It's not going anywhere until I can get the shoulder bolts needed to attach the handle. Nobody seems to carry them locally. Plus, I still need to wash and wax it.

most ope engines can take an incredible amount of abuse.. run for a few hours with low but clean oil shouldnt hurt anything.

Just fill the oil up, cross your fingers, and let 'er rip.
If there is bearing damage, no oil is going to fix it.

Last edited:
I'd fill with oil and use as is.
If still somewhat new, I'd change the oil every 1-2 hours to get out any breakin material. That's what I did with my Tore Super recycler.

Mine is a 21" push type.
B&S engine.
Problem: Side of engine was always a oily mess (since new).

I had to change the upper oil seal on the cam shaft.

Side note:
B&S now uses "plastic" cams on the steel cam shaft.
I read their patient for the plastic cams and B&S is saying they should last for 10,000 hours minimum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Who made the engine? Hose clamps ought to hold the handle until you find the parts.

The engine is Toro branded, a Toro TXP 159 cc. It comes with a five year warranty, so I imagine it is built better than the big box store mowers.

You'll know right away if there's any engine damage. You'll see blue smoke pouring out the exhaust as soon as you start it up.

Maybe I'll run some dino 30W for the first use, then change to the RP. Hate wasting the good stuff.

run strait 30 dino and it should be good for years and years my 1966 allis charmers B&S still runs great since 1966 when my father bought it new and ran it on pennzoil 30w its whole life.

Originally Posted By: Scott P
Maybe I'll run some dino 30W for the first use, then change to the RP. Hate wasting the good stuff.

I use Valvoline Synthetic in my mower.

VOA's are very similar to the RP.

I cut grass for a lady in my neighbourhood. She bought a Toro similar to OP mower for herself but she was diagnosed with MS soon after so I started looking after her yard. When I checked the oil in the machine, there was none on the dipstick. So I topped it up, then warmed up the mower then dumped it. Nothing special came out. I put in fresh T5 and it purrs like a kitty now. I suspect she ran it for 10hrs at this level.

OP you should be okay.

If its a Briggs and Stratton Quantum, it is destined to burn copious amounts of oil.

The Toro website and the dealer I visited while looking both indicated the engine is a Toro branded engine. I'm sure someone in China produces it, but I don't know who.

Scott P, if you want a little extra insurance when you first start it, run a good dose of UCL in the fuel ... Lucas UCL, MMO or TCW3 2-stroke oil. This will lube the cylinder walls, less chance of rings scoring the cylinder.

You scould also squirt a little oil in the spark plug hole, pull the motor over a few times, replace the spark plug and start it./ Just a bit of oil ... like a teaspoon. Any more and you could hydrolock the motor.

Other than that, make sure there's enough oil in it, start it and see ...

I ended up adding about 14 oz of some Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 that I had open. The crankcase takes 20 oz. The mower started right up. No smoke at all through the muffler. I put my hand there and felt no oil on my hand. The old Lawnboy it is replacing would be broadcasting the fuel/oil mixture.

I ordered the handle bolts yesterday online and they will be here tomorrow along with a spare air filter. I'll probably put a couple hours on the mower, then change the oil. I'll change it again in the fall. It's a small yard and only sees about 30 minutes of use each time I mow.

Does your old LB have the Tecumseh engine?

We have a LB with this engine and she is on her way out the door sadly. The oil has sparkles in it whenever we change it too. Lol. Over the last 10-15 years, it did take a lot of abuse though.. it was used to just mow nasty dusty conditions and steep slopes. IIRC, the oiling "system" doesn't do too well on hills like say a B&S engine either.

Meh. Its not a real LB unelss its a 2 stroke anyways.
grin.gif

It's a 2004 10323 with the DuraForce 2 stroke. The carb float is sticking along with a possibly warped carb. I'm sure a simple carb replacement will have it running again, but I just don't have the desire to sink any more money into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back