Anything better than a CX5 out there, yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm personally worried about the added complexity - now you have two power plants, each one with its own set of potential problems, and as we know, BMWs aren't exactly the epitome of reliability.
True, in this case, the electric drive replaces the torque converter IIRC, so the added complexity is actually less than one would think. @mightymousetech opined on this in another thread.

I'm at the 70k mile mark where I sometimes trade. Is there anything better than my cx5 being made for under $45k?

0-60 in 5.7s
#1 car company for reliability, and it's been great!
27mpg average so far.
Awesome AWD.
Not a single creak or rattle even on rutted gravel roads after nearly 70k miles.
Cooled and heated seats, HUD, etc.

Anything out there similarly equipped that performs better and is similarly bulletproof for similar cost that gets 25mpg or better? If not I'll probably just pay off and keep the cx5.

Cars I've already eschewed: q5, x3, stelvio, glc300, rav4, rdx a spec
View attachment 55306
I’d run it until you can’t stand it. Cars way too expensive now. No margin to dicker. Chip shortage to blame.

I'm at the 70k mile mark where I sometimes trade. Is there anything better than my cx5 being made for under $45k?

0-60 in 5.7s
27mpg average so far.
Awesome AWD.
Not a single creak or rattle even on rutted gravel roads after nearly 70k miles.

Anything out there similarly equipped that performs better and is similarly bulletproof for similar cost that gets 25mpg or better? If not I'll probably just pay off and keep the cx5.

View attachment 55306
I feel like the OP is trolling with this post. The CX-5 is clearly the best vehicle on the road. Any vehicle, including luxury brands, that may be better in one area is obviously worse in all others.

Keeping your Mazda is the right answer.

But it’s too late. He is in on the RAV
I didn't read all 10 pages but that was clearly a mistake. By his own words there really is nothing in existence better than a CX-5 at any price point, certainly not a RAV4 with decidedly chunky styling and a lower rent interior. I'm not sure why other manufacturers don't pack it in so everyone can drive CX-5s.

I’d run it until you can’t stand it. Cars way too expensive now. No margin to dicker. Chip shortage to blame.
Nah, this is smarter. Im getting amazing trade value. Basically free money.

Im getting $5k+ over kbb, and the r4p has a $7500 tax credit. Thats over $10k in equity shift...plus the $200/mo ill save in fuel.

Nah, this is smarter. Im getting amazing trade value. Basically free money.

Im getting $5k+ over kbb, and the r4p has a $7500 tax credit. Thats over $10k in equity shift...plus the $200/mo ill save in fuel.
So you got the Prime? Bring it to Utah and sell it like the person asking $55k for a Prime XSE with 3k miles. Yeah they bought it, pulled the tax credit, then are trying to mark it up way beyond MSRP.

So you got the Prime? Bring it to Utah and sell it like the person asking $55k for a Prime XSE with 3k miles. Yeah they bought it, pulled the tax credit, then are trying to mark it up way beyond MSRP.
Wild! Nah, Ill keep it when it comes in. Scheduled delivery 9/22. Its in Vancouver right now, and I figure it may be a few days late. Everytbing else about it has been thus far. Mine is a Blizzard pearl xse with weather package. Paying more than msrp is stupid. Especially for used and no tax credit, lol. Just wow.

Wild! Nah, Ill keep it when it comes in. Scheduled delivery 9/22. Its in Vancouver right now, and I figure it may be a few days late. Everytbing else about it has been thus far. Mine is a Blizzard pearl xse with weather package. Paying more than msrp is stupid. Especially for used and no tax credit, lol. Just wow.
You can't buy it in Utah and there are enough people with more money than brains. People buy new cars here for the sport of flipping them into the shortage. New broncos being resold of course.

I can't wait to hear your impressions on it.

You can't buy it in Utah and there are enough people with more money than brains. People buy new cars here for the sport of flipping them into the shortage. New broncos being resold of course.

I can't wait to hear your impressions on it.
That's wild. I guess, I dunno. I need a vehicle though, and so I will keep it, lol! this chip shortage, etc. has me concerned and glad I have chosen something that should b e reliable. I say should be, because all things can vary, but yes, given the state of the world, a proven hybrid system from Toyota definitely seemed the way to go. It will save me $200/mo on fuel alone, I calculate.

0-60 in 5.7s
27mpg average so far.
Awesome AWD.

View attachment 55306
We test drove that and a Hyundai Tucson and the Tucson won out. The Mazda felt like an overgrown hatchback, the Hyundai feels like a proper SUV.
I also have to respectfully disagree with Mazda being #1 in reliability. Mazdas have a lot of issues.

We test drove that and a Hyundai Tucson and the Tucson won out. The Mazda felt like an overgrown hatchback, the Hyundai feels like a proper SUV.
I also have to respectfully disagree with Mazda being #1 in reliability. Mazdas have a lot of issues.
ERmmm....blowing motors and burning to the ground aren't them though, lol

Your "proper SUV" has a few issues, I'm sorry to say, good sir, nothing minor, though.

Last edited:
70K miles and you're looking to trade.... Why? Don't you like it?
I like it, but I tend to run premium in it to get max hp available, and it costs me @$380/mo in fuel alone, plus it will be time for brakes in another 20K miles, etc. so why not save money and get something new that is faster, cheaper to operate, and needs no maintenance coming due any time soon? Especially when it allows me to save $7500 on my taxes this year and they are offering me over $5k over KBB for mine?

I like it, but I tend to run premium in it to get max hp available, and it costs me @$380/mo in fuel alone, plus it will be time for brakes in another 20K miles, etc. so why not save money and get something new that is faster, cheaper to operate, and needs no maintenance coming due any time soon? Especially when it allows me to save $7500 on my taxes this year and they are offering me over $5k over KBB for mine?
Because we've had to hear about how **** amazing the CX-5 is and how you'd have to be an idiot to buy anything else every time you got the chance.

You should be stuck in a freaking Mazda for the rest of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back