Anyone with experience w/ Intel i225/i226 network issues?

So the connection only breaks when you're using a VPN? If so, is that the same causation as before the re-image?

Yes it seems to appear that way.

Next time this happens, let's try something;

1. Command Prompt
  2. Type in ipconfig /flushdns
  3. See if internet connection is restored
  4. If not continue to put in:
  5. Ipconfig /release
  6. Ipconfig /renew
  7. See if internet connection is restored

Yes it seems to appear that way.
OK, so instead of disabling the adapter next time it happens, disconnect the VPN (I assume you don't have split tunnel enabled?) and see if you can still ping your firewall. If you can, it's not the NIC. If you can ping the router, then try pinging something outside your network like 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS server). Let us know what you find.

OK, so instead of disabling the adapter next time it happens, disconnect the VPN (I assume you don't have split tunnel enabled?) and see if you can still ping your firewall. If you can, it's not the NIC. If you can ping the router, then try pinging something outside your network like 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS server). Let us know what you find.
Not using split tunneling. For some reason It typically loses connection overnight so go figure. I tried removing the driver but soon as I searched for hardware changes it just reloaded the same one it was using. I have 7 systems that run 24/7 and this is the only one having issues.

It went down again around 2:15 this morning. I tried pinging but it couldn't reach anything on the network or on the outside ie: router, printer, other PCs... the only thing I could ping was itself. In the event viewer I get a lot of codes for 27 & 57, basically it's disconnecting and then reconnecting over and over.

I think at this point I'll actually reach out to MSI support but I've read lots of threads where others have RMA'd their boards only to have the same problems, one person did it 4 times and it always came back.

Last edited:
It went down again around 2:15 this morning. I tried pinging but it couldn't reach anything on the network or on the outside ie: router, printer, other PCs... the only thing I could ping was itself. In the event viewer I get a lot of codes for 27 & 57, basically it's disconnecting and then reconnecting over and over.

I think at this point I'll actually reach out to MSI support but I've read lots of threads where others have RMA'd their boards only to have the same problems, one person did it 4 times and it always came back.
Have you reached out to MSI to see if there's a firmware update for the NIC?

Have you reached out to MSI to see if there's a firmware update for the NIC?
Yes I just registered it and opened a new ticket. I honestly thought their forums would get me somewhere but others are having issues as well with the i226-v.

I had to pull it almost all apart looking for the CHK code just to register it, they can't just put it on the box where the S/N is located.... and evidently it can be located all over the place. I ended up going deep into it, removed the heatsink, the m.2 which is sandwiched together, nothing... finally found the sticker on the 24pin connector facing towards the front of the board. I couldn't see it with all the cables in the way. I've been meaning to tidy up the cables anways but was waiting for another fan splitter to come so I can install a few front fans. While digging into it I believe one of the CPU fans had become disconnected, I found it unplugged so dunno if I accidentally did it just now or if it's been like that but the CPU definitely seems to be running cooler.

For now I'm going to leave the VPN off and see if the issue still persists.

PXL_20240425_115001429.jpg

This is from the right side of the case looking in. The board is mounted vertically with all the ports facing down. With the heatsink installed it literally covers everything from the memory over to the m.2 drive and on down.... also the way I have it installed you can still access them without having to remove it, however for the m.2 it has to come off.

MSI wants me to return the board back to Newegg, I checked and I still have 6 days left which I'm hoping is just the date to start the return and not when they need to receive it back. I received a "canned" response but it didn't pertain to anything that would help me, just when and where I purchased the board and basic troubleshooting steps. I already registered it to my acct so they should already know that information. I'm waiting on an answer about possibly getting another board that doesn't have this issue but seems to be crickets...

Literally as I get done submitting the RMA with Newegg I'm adding the Gigabyte into my cart and getting ready to order it then disconnects me. I was wondering why the page wouldn't load but then the network icon down in the corner finally changed.... also still not connected to a VPN.

Last edited:
I didn’t really read this thread too carefully but I have not any issues and I suspect most of the computers I’ve built the past year or two use that same Intel network chip.

Do the RMA and hopefully that will solve your problem.

I’m assuming you have tried different cables? I had a bad batch of brand new cat6 cables from monoprice once (usually a decent vendor, although I switched brands after that). Super frustrating - out of like 50 I ordered like 1/4 were duds or died within a few months. I didn’t think I had multiple bad cables so I chased my tail on that for a while before I got a cable tester and ripped open every baggy and tested them all and figured it out.

I didn’t really read this thread too carefully but I have not any issues and I suspect most of the computers I’ve built the past year or two use that same Intel network chip.

Do the RMA and hopefully that will solve your problem.

I’m assuming you have tried different cables? I had a bad batch of brand new cat6 cables from monoprice once (usually a decent vendor, although I switched brands after that). Super frustrating - out of like 50 I ordered like 1/4 were duds or died within a few months. I didn’t think I had multiple bad cables so I chased my tail on that for a while before I got a cable tester and ripped open every baggy and tested them all and figured it out.
Yes I have tried using a different cable and another port on the switch. I didn't feel it was proper for me to say this on the MSI forums but there really needs to be a class action lawsuit against Intel and all the other manufacturers over these defective chips. I don't really know how old this motherboard is but did have a fairly recent bios which can be used as an indicator, it wasn't the latest but was enough to work with the 14th gen CPUs. The support person didn't answer my question about the possibility of receiving a good board. I have read on other forums that people have RMA'd theirs back to MSI multiple times but even someone did it 4 times all within in a year.

Basically you have few options, if under warranty you can RMA with MSI or return/exchange with the reseller. If not then you basically have a paperweight, either use another network adapter ie: PCIe, USB, etc... or replace the board itself. Newegg must've changed their return policy but honestly I've had very few returns, they even provided a UPS return label and gave me 14 days to get it entered into their system, the website showed I had 6 days left which was to start the return process. I would've had to pay the shipping to MSI but the return would've been free. Honestly I never really understood the whole 30 thing, soon as you purchase the item the clock starts ticking from that moment and you loose a week or so just for the shipping.

I think @OVERKILL is correct about MSI, honestly I've had very few problems with them over the years but after the way I was treated on the AIO cooler and now this board I am really going to have to start considering other options, I don't like Asus, they are overpriced and I always have the worst luck with them. I do have a 2060 where the fan failed and they replaced the whole card but it wasn't the same one I received back and ran way hotter than what I had. I think when they can MSI will stand behind their products but after warranty not so much but really that's most anyone.

And it's not just MSI but Gigabyte and other manufacturers use these chips from Intel. Realtek also has a 2.5gbe but even they have problems. I have 2x Gigabyte x570s boards with Intel i225-v and they've been rock solid.

Last edited:
Yes I have tried using a different cable and another port on the switch. I didn't feel it was proper for me to say this on the MSI forums but there really needs to be a class action lawsuit against Intel and all the other manufacturers over these defective chips. I don't really know how old this motherboard is but did have a fairly recent bios which can be used as an indicator, it wasn't the latest but was enough to work with the 14th gen CPUs. The support person didn't answer my question about the possibility of receiving a good board. I have read on other forums that people have RMA'd theirs back to MSI multiple times but even someone did it 4 times all within in a year.

Basically you have few options, if under warranty you can RMA with MSI or return/exchange with the reseller. If not then you basically have a paperweight, either use another network adapter ie: PCIe, USB, etc... or replace the board itself. Newegg must've changed their return policy but honestly I've had very few returns, they even provided a UPS return label and gave me 14 days to get it entered into their system, the website showed I had 6 days left which was to start the return process. I would've had to pay the shipping to MSI but the return would've been free. Honestly I never really understood the whole 30 thing, soon as you purchase the item the clock starts ticking from that moment and you loose a week or so just for the shipping.

I think @OVERKILL is correct about MSI, honestly I've had very few problems with them over the years but after the way I was treated on the AIO cooler and now this board I am really going to have to start considering other options, I don't like Asus, they are overpriced and I always have the worst luck with them. I do have a 2060 where the fan failed and they replaced the whole card but it wasn't the same one I received back and ran way hotter than what I had. I think when they can MSI will stand behind their products but after warranty not so much but really that's most anyone.

And it's not just MSI but Gigabyte and other manufacturers use these chips from Intel. Realtek also has a 2.5gbe but even they have problems. I have 2x Gigabyte x570s boards with Intel i225-v and they've been rock solid.
Funny you mention bad luck with ASUS, my experience has always been the opposite, have had great service from them.

So, is the chip itself defective, or is it just the firmware? If it's just the firmware and Intel has released an update and the motherboard providers aren't giving that to the end users experiencing the issue, then it isn't really an Intel problem. On the other hand, if it can't be resolved with a firmware update, then it is definitely Intel's issue.

I'm always amused by the laundry list of firmware updates for servers, including for NIC's, that we don't see for desktops because the margin just isn't there to provide the same level of support.

Funny you mention bad luck with ASUS, my experience has always been the opposite, have had great service from them.

So, is the chip itself defective, or is it just the firmware? If it's just the firmware and Intel has released an update and the motherboard providers aren't giving that to the end users experiencing the issue, then it isn't really an Intel problem. On the other hand, if it can't be resolved with a firmware update, then it is definitely Intel's issue.

I'm always amused by the laundry list of firmware updates for servers, including for NIC's, that we don't see for desktops because the margin just isn't there to provide the same level of support.
MSI told me there was not a firmware update available, now with that said it's probably in-house so they are not providing them to the end users. I ended up purchasing the Gigabyte version which actually has 1 more USB port in the rear but also only 2 of the m.2 slots, MSI has 3... not that big of a deal just cleans up a few extra lanes but only if you were using all of them. I'm hoping the memory I have will work which is why I went with the MSI they actually listed it as compatible but Gigabyte just hadn't tested it.

The problem with the Gigabyte is that nowhere does it state which Intel network chipset it has so I'm guessing the same i226-v. Just to keep a stable connection I'm currently using the Trendnet USB C adapter which has a Realtek chipset.

I paid for faster shipping so hoping the new board will come Tues. and then I can swap them out and return this one back to Newegg but I think the RMA is for a replacement. When I was going through the process online it said refund but in the email it shows replace... so in the end it looks like I am going to have 2 of these boards.

Last edited:
Something else is at hand here... I have been using the Trendnet adapter and yet it still disconnected. I have 2 cable testers so going to use both and also I have a Qnap switch that I had replaced with the Trendnet so I will swap it back in. It could just be an odd issue where for some reason they don't like each other... extremely odd but is totally possible.

With the Trendnet USB I made sure not to turn off the device to save power and energy efficient ethernet is disabled.

The other cable tester wouldn't even work with another set of batteries, however the cable tested good and for now I've moved the cable to the other Trendnet switch. I had it connected to the TEG-S750 which is a 5 port 10gb switch that supports 100/1000/2.5/5/10, the other switch is the TEG-S591 which has 8x 2.5gbe ports and 10gb uplink.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2024-04-27 130211.jpg

So I've been digging around more and started looking at reviews on Amazon for that switch and I purchased mine March 2nd. I'll have to see what other devices I've connected through this switch but I know the line comes into this switch first and then feeds the other one where I've moved the cable as a test. I do have another system that's 24/7 connected to this 2nd switch without any issues.

From reading the other reviews Amazon was selling ver. 1.0R at discounted rates, Trendnet evidently just released 2.0R. I don't know anything about their support but wondering if Trendnet would upgrade it with the new revision?

Last edited:
Something else is at hand here... I have been using the Trendnet adapter and yet it still disconnected. I have 2 cable testers so going to use both and also I have a Qnap switch that I had replaced with the Trendnet so I will swap it back in. It could just be an odd issue where for some reason they don't like each other... extremely odd but is totally possible.

With the Trendnet USB I made sure not to turn off the device to save power and energy efficient ethernet is disabled.

The other cable tester wouldn't even work with another set of batteries, however the cable tested good and for now I've moved the cable to the other Trendnet switch. I had it connected to the TEG-S750 which is a 5 port 10gb switch that supports 100/1000/2.5/5/10, the other switch is the TEG-S591 which has 8x 2.5gbe ports and 10gb uplink.
OK, and you tried another cable, right? I believe that was covered earlier in the thread?

Could definitely be the switch.

OK, and you tried another cable, right? I believe that was covered earlier in the thread?

Could definitely be the switch.
Yes I tried a CTG 25ft cat6 cable earlier but that was also from the S750 switch, I currently have it connected to the S591. From reading the Amazon reviews there are others with connectivity issues that seem to stem from ver. 1.0R. I think for now I've seen enough and need to swap that back out for the Qnap, I want to give this thing to a friend who works in IT to test it but he is more on the end of managing the servers but he also has a nice setup in his basement with a lot more extensive knowlege of the inner workings of a network than I do especially troubleshooting over the network. When I worked in IT it was mostly providing end user support, installing switches, APs, installing LCD projectors, network troubleshooting, mostly the physical layer, I've replaced tons of RJ45 keystones due to bent pins.

Back