Anyone with experience on Total lubricants

I am planning to drain and fill my CVT . OEM is way too expensive to do multiple drain and flush and I am looking at a good alternative .

Its not obvious here in canada to find the right Valvoline 804751 all they have is 839717 and this one isnt compatible with Mitsubishi CTVF J4.

Cant find Castrol Transmax either ... so I have a few more option

OEM By Rechochem at canadian tire
or
Total fluidmatic CVT MV also compatible with CVTF J4

If one can read spec sheet here please feel free to help me taking the right decision

TOTAL spec ,
Kinematic viscosity at 40°C mm²/s ASTM D445 32.84
Kinematic viscosity at 100°C mm²/s ASTM D445 7.091
Viscosity Index - ASTM D2270 187
Flashpoint °C ASTM D92 224
Pour point °C ASTM D97 -48
Density Kg/m3 DIN 51757 D 851

Unfortunatly I cant get the spec for the Rechochem OEM ....

VALVOLINE

Typical Properties:
CVT

KV40 (cSt) 27.6
KV100 (cSt) 5.6

Viscosity Index 147
Specific Gravity @ 60°F .852

Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP 9000

I am planning to drain and fill my CVT . OEM is way too expensive to do multiple drain and flush and I am looking at a good alternative .

Its not obvious here in canada to find the right Valvoline 804751 all they have is 839717 and this one isnt compatible with Mitsubishi CTVF J4.

Cant find Castrol Transmax either ... so I have a few more option

OEM By Rechochem at canadian tire
or
Total fluidmatic CVT MV also compatible with CVTF J4

If one can read spec sheet here please feel free to help me taking the right decision

TOTAL spec ,
Kinematic viscosity at 40°C mm²/s ASTM D445 32.84
Kinematic viscosity at 100°C mm²/s ASTM D445 7.091
Viscosity Index - ASTM D2270 187
Flashpoint °C ASTM D92 224
Pour point °C ASTM D97 -48
Density Kg/m3 DIN 51757 D 851

Unfortunatly I cant get the spec for the Rechochem OEM ....

VALVOLINE

Typical Properties:
CVT

KV40 (cSt) 27.6
KV100 (cSt) 5.6

Viscosity Index 147
Specific Gravity @ 60°F .852

Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP 9000
If car under warranty I'd use only OEM. I don't know about that ATF specifically, but Total are excellent products and wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Probably nothing wrong with Total, though their presence in the US is minimal :unsure:

Does Petro-Canada make a CVT fluid?

Recochem's websites have a strong geolock, so in the US, I'm locked out of any Canadian Recochem site,and they enforce it hard, too. :mad:
You should be able to access http://oematf.ca

Last edited:
If car under warranty I'd use only OEM. I don't know about that ATF specifically, but Total are excellent products and wouldn't hesitate to use them.
I can understand your point, however Mitsu wants a drain and flush every 2 years or 28000 km. Their warranty cover the tranny for 10 years. So if I only do what they ask for , Ill end up with a minimum of 5 drain and flush. Thats = at 5 lt x 23.00= 132.00 x 5 = 660.00 tax in for fluid only.

If I go with Total its 5 x 15.35= 76.75 x 5 = 441.22

The difference is substential $220.00 ...for probably a similar if not better protection with the Total ...

I know for some the peace of mind worth more than 220.00 but knowing how the dealers are sometimes, using their Diaqueen is far from insuring warranty coverage dont you think ? :) BTW I am looking at doing it once a year

Last edited:
Since it's under warranty you're looking at it the wrong way. What if there is a failure and they deny your claim because you have not used the OEM fluid and and you appeal, even if you win in the end (doubtful) with all that aggravation be worth $ 220? I can't answer that for you, but I know which way I'd be leaning.

Since it's under warranty you're looking at it the wrong way. What if there is a failure and they deny your claim because you have not used the OEM fluid and and you appeal, even if you win in the end (doubtful) with all that aggravation be worth $ 220? I can't answer that for you, but I know which way I'd be leaning.
You certainly have a good point .... however this logic should also apply to the engine oil, coolant, diff and brk fluid .... so many reason to deny warranty work ... well ... btw lol why did you wrote .... even if you win in the end (doubtful) ? why doubtfull , Pelican you are a man of little faith :)

You certainly have a good point .... however this logic should also apply to the engine oil, coolant, diff and brk fluid .... so many reason to deny warranty work ... well ... btw lol why did you wrote .... even if you win in the end (doubtful) ? why doubtfull , Pelican you are a man of little faith :)
I did it because most of the appeals are not won by the owner for various reasons.

I did it because most of the appeals are not won by the owner for various reasons.
Hummm... Ill have to look into that .... if a judge must go by the rule of law then there is more than the fluid ... malpractice is probably the main cause .

Hummm... Ill have to look into that .... if a judge must go by the rule of law then there is more than the fluid ... malpractice is probably the main cause .
The single biggest reason is failing to meet the proof required by the manufacturer via receipt or to prove that whomever did the job was qualified to do it. Too many aggravations not to use OEM parts or fluid recommendations for the warranty period IMO, however everyone has a different opinion. This is for Canada, the US is more lenient.

All that make sense if one wants to cover his rear end as much as he can , buying the overpriced OEM stuff is the only way to go ... and to cover all base only Certified Mitsubishi tech should be working on our car.

Thats is tying up the hands of many .... the culture of fears will never die Im afraid :)

I'm still not sure what I will do , Im pretty sure to be qualified to do a drain and fill a stupid CVT, I spent 36 years as a mechanic in the railroad industry and part time in various dealership after car trade school in Montreal in the 80' ... for the oil thats another story .... playing absolutly safe mean going to the dealership and to pay close to 300.00 for the job .... I still have hard time to swallow this ... decision decision.... dilemma dilemma. What is scary with that is if we follow this logic ALL product that goes in the car have to be OEM and that doesnt make sense to me... some after market products are vastly superior to what OEM can offer .... anyway that was a good discussion Pelican ... let see what I will do next week .... taking my chance .... or falling for the menace from Mitsu ... to be or not to be ?

Thanks for playing with my mind LOL

I can understand your point, however Mitsu wants a drain and flush every 2 years or 28000 km. Their warranty cover the tranny for 10 years. So if I only do what they ask for , Ill end up with a minimum of 5 drain and flush. Thats = at 5 lt x 23.00= 132.00 x 5 = 660.00 tax in for fluid only.

If I go with Total its 5 x 15.35= 76.75 x 5 = 441.22

The difference is substential $220.00 ...for probably a similar if not better protection with the Total ...

I know for some the peace of mind worth more than 220.00 but knowing how the dealers are sometimes, using their Diaqueen is far from insuring warranty coverage dont you think ? :) BTW I am looking at doing it once a year
Only need 4 changes to get you through the warranty period, not 5 changes. And 5 x 23 = 115, not 132. The 5th change will be at 10 years when the warranty expires so you can use anything you want at that time.

OEM fluid: 5 x 23.00 = 115.00 per change. 4 changes x 115 = 460
Total fluid: 5 x 15.35 = 76.75 per change. 4 changes x 76.75 = 307

A difference of $153, not $220. Not sure if that is enough to sway you to OEM fluid or not.

Only need 4 changes to get you through the warranty period, not 5 changes. And 5 x 23 = 115, not 132. The 5th change will be at 10 years when the warranty expires so you can use anything you want at that time.

OEM fluid: 5 x 23.00 = 115.00 per change. 4 changes x 115 = 460
Total fluid: 5 x 15.35 = 76.75 per change. 4 changes x 76.75 = 307

A difference of $153, not $220. Not sure if that is enough to sway you to OEM fluid or not.
You are right with four instead of 5 :)

I am right with the since 115.00 + 14.975 of taxes = 132.00 :)

So 4 times OEM at 23.00 132.00 = 528.00 tax in

Total CVT fluid

5x 15.35 = 88.25 tax in x 4 = 353.00

Difference 175.00 ... well .. I hate to say it but Ill go OEM ..... 175.00 / 8 years = 21.87 more per years its a cheap insurances despite the fact they will use another excuse to deny the warranty I'm sure .... :)

Ok OK here I come Mitsubishi argggghh :)

Thanks to you Leo99 and Pelican to take away from me... the living room revolutionary that I can be sometimes :)

All that make sense if one wants to cover his rear end as much as he can , buying the overpriced OEM stuff is the only way to go ... and to cover all base only Certified Mitsubishi tech should be working on our car.

Thats is tying up the hands of many .... the culture of fears will never die Im afraid :)

I'm still not sure what I will do , Im pretty sure to be qualified to do a drain and fill a stupid CVT, I spent 36 years as a mechanic in the railroad industry and part time in various dealership after car trade school in Montreal in the 80' ... for the oil thats another story .... playing absolutly safe mean going to the dealership and to pay close to 300.00 for the job .... I still have hard time to swallow this ... decision decision.... dilemma dilemma. What is scary with that is if we follow this logic ALL product that goes in the car have to be OEM and that doesnt make sense to me... some after market products are vastly superior to what OEM can offer .... anyway that was a good discussion Pelican ... let see what I will do next week .... taking my chance .... or falling for the menace from Mitsu ... to be or not to be ?

Thanks for playing with my mind LOL
We live in a different world now, you remember when things could be repaired right? Now it's throwaway parts to be replaced with new ones.

We live in a different world now, you remember when things could be repaired right? Now it's throwaway parts to be replaced with new ones.
On yes what an ERA :-( all the fun is gone .... well .... most of ... and BTW thanks for the discussion allowing me to practice your foreign language lol :)

On yes what an ERA :-( all the fun is gone .... well .... most of ... and BTW thanks for the discussion allowing me to practice your foreign language lol :)
Ici nous sommes tous des agents de la legion de la langue étrangère, alors aux chameaux en route pour Sidi Bel Abbes! 🥴

Back