Anyone using the Fram Tough Guard?

I used to think the Tough Guard was a redheaded stepchild - why bother. But maybe its actually the right filter for my short OCI's???

-- 99% @ 20um - same as the Ultra.

-- Synthetic blend media - only a single layer unlike the ultra Dual layer - might be less restrictive?

-- One downside is the fiber end caps - but most here agree they don't fail anyway, so for short OCI then maybe fine?

-- Silicon ADBV. A buck and a half cheaper than the Ultra - which really doesn't matter but its something.

Anyone choose this filter, and why?

Last edited:
I've used them many times, never had an issue. I think the best value right now is the Supertech 20,000 filter.
I have used the ST MP version as well and its a good filter also - have one on the shelf - but its 30um and the TG is 20um. I also got one that had a nitrile ADBV - likely a short term supply problem - not to mention it has an e-core. Again, none of these things are issues but Its only a buck less than the Tough Guard?

Last edited:
I used a vintage Allied Signal 4967 for way more miles than it’s rated for. The best value filter currently for my app is either a ProTec by wix for $1.83 with silicone ADBV or champ filter at $1.60

While we are talking bout fiber endcaps: champ filters and E CORE filters use this also without issues.

If I can get a fram Tough Giard for less than $5-6 I’d use one.

Hi Sc Maintenance,
Here is a data table I made to help me better understand the differences in performance, price and construction of filters for my 2021 Subaru Limited. The Tough Guard you're asking about came out at the top for people who follow the manual for their OCI. In my case its 6,000 miles.
Based on the data the Tough Guard has a good balance of performance and price so it looks like a very good choice. The good news is you have a number of good choices and you can choose a filter that meets your specific needs for price and performance. Hope this helps!

1676728669338.jpg

I am currently using one right now ( TG8A) for my old Ford. I got a good deal on a closeout at Walmart on three. They are rated for 15k runs. I wouldn't hesitate running one for 10k miles.

Currently using it since i got them on sale in a way. I ordered the ultra online for in store pickup but when i got there they didn't have any so they said if 2x of the cheaper one was fine and i said yes. Got 4 tough guards for the price of 2. Couldn't complain.

If you can get them at a reasonable, price I would run the Honda parts counter version. Basically a Blue painted TG, but with better QC, typically are not rusted and spec a "leak proof" base gasket design.

Remember most ALL Asian cars had used the same filter threads and gasket ID - with the exception being Toyota. Note some have high and then moderate bypass poppet spring spec.
So Nissan, Subaru, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia typically are the "same" filter.

I used to think the Tough Guard was a redheaded stepchild.

Anyone choose this filter, and why?
Hey, I'm a redhead and never liked that gross term. As if we're supposed to treat a redhead differently than any other color. Especially a fram tg! 😠

Anyways, I think you've thought about it and realized the tough guard is a perfect fit to use for your application. Run it! 👍

Last edited:
If you can get them at a reasonable, price I would run the Honda parts counter version. Basically a Blue painted TG, but with better QC, typically are not rusted and spec a "leak proof" base gasket design.

Remember most ALL Asian cars had used the same filter threads and gasket ID - with the exception being Toyota. Note some have high and then moderate bypass poppet spring spec.
So Nissan, Subaru, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia typically are the "same" filter.
Are they typically the same bypass pressure? I know the Fram 7317 typically is 13 PSI. I know that works for Nissan and Honda - didn't know about the rest?

I'm throwing one in my Mercedes later today.
I don't get the disdain for fiber endcaps. European engines with canister filters have had fiber endcaps on the OE canister insert filters for at least two decades that I know of. There's no record of concern for the endcaps nor action by the car manufacturers to change to something else.

I agree. The Extra Guard is a great value for the price conscious person. A 10,000 mile rating, with 95% @20 microns. In my area they are $4.17 at WalMart.
It's hard to beat the Extra Guard filter efficiency and silicone ADBV for the price. They are also easy to find. I tend to run them on a lot of power equipment, and they work great for 5-7k mile OCI's on cars.

The Tough Guard is good for longer drains, or if you want even better filter efficiency. The Ultras I think are hard to justify now, not only because they lack the metal mesh backing, but because you need to run them for 10k+ miles for it to be a good value over the Tough Guard. When I used Ultras, I would usually leave them on for 2 OCI's, which has it's own issues, since when a filter is on the engine for more heat cycles they seem to be even harder to remove even when installed properly. Not ideal on a vehicle where the filter is difficult to access.

Back